Super cheap desktop for working (AUS)

Looking to build a really cheap desktop that I can use for school work and maybe a little bit of light gaming.

I want to keep the cost below $300

I already have a couple of HDDs lying around that I can use and a spare monitor.

I don't need a case. If worst comes to worst, I have a 13' MBP box can fit an ATX mobo and I have lots of Lego.

I just need a CPU, Mobo, PSU and RAM.

These are the parts i've picked out so far: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/n2jWBm

I have looked through Ebay a bit also and found this: 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kingston-RAM-Memory-8GB-Kit-2x4GB-DDR3-1333MHz-/121359916262?pt=AU_Components&hash=item1c419d5ce6&_uhb=1

any advice or links would be greatly appreciated.

I am currently not in Aus but will be in Tasmania in the last two weeks of July.

Looking to build a really cheap desktop that I can use for school work and maybe a little bit of light gaming.

-snip-

Do you not need a GPU?

You can purchase an Intel NUC, they are pretty powerful for everyday tasks and can be used for light gaming(LOL etc.)

7850k would be best i think. 

My Little Gaming Rig:

CPU: FX 8320 | MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-D3P | RAM: G.Skill Ares 2x4GB | GPU: Sapphire Dual-X R9 270X | Storage: Seagate SSHD 1TB | Case: Corsair 200R | PSU: CM 550W V-Series

Upgrades to come: CPU FAN: Corsair H100i | RAM: 2 more 4GB sticks | GPU: Another R9 270X running in crossfire | Storage: Samsung 120GB SSD | PSU: Corsair 800w

7850k would be best i think. 

erm that is like more than half his budget

he got 300 bucks for CPU,Mobo, RAM and PSU

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

super cheap id go with a kabini system socket am1

Main Rig: CPU: 3570k Mobo: ga-z77x-ud5h-wb :RAM: 8gb kingson ddr3 1600 :gpu crossfire amd 290's Case: zalman z9 plus Cooler: h80i p/p SSD: nutron 120gb HDD: 2tb wd green 4tb seagate desktop                                              

Girlfirends: CPU: 8350 Mobo 990fxa-ud3 Ram 8gb kingson ddr3 1600 gpu: his 7850 case: inwin dragon rider SSD: nutron 120gb HDD: 2tb seagate                                                                                                                                         

NUC are way more expensive than what he is trying to get

OP what sort of game you are trying to play?

300 dollars won't get you much in terms of gameplay

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

super cheap id go with a kabini system socket am1

seem doable

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/GCvZzy

although i have not much experience with AM1 chip and gaming

erm that is like more than half his budget

he got 300 bucks for CPU,Mobo, RAM and PSU

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cgH4Bm
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cgH4Bm/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD A10-7850K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($169.97 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A55M-VG3+ Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($46.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Avexir Core Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Rosewill 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $306.93
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-12 03:20 EDT-0400)

My Little Gaming Rig:

CPU: FX 8320 | MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-D3P | RAM: G.Skill Ares 2x4GB | GPU: Sapphire Dual-X R9 270X | Storage: Seagate SSHD 1TB | Case: Corsair 200R | PSU: CM 550W V-Series

Upgrades to come: CPU FAN: Corsair H100i | RAM: 2 more 4GB sticks | GPU: Another R9 270X running in crossfire | Storage: Samsung 120GB SSD | PSU: Corsair 800w

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cgH4Bm
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cgH4Bm/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD A10-7850K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($169.97 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A55M-VG3+ Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($46.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Avexir Core Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Rosewill 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $306.93
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-12 03:20 EDT-0400)

that in US dollars thou

we are using Aus dollars

For $300 or less you're better off buying a pre-built system as you really can't compete on sub-$500 systems. 

A cpu+psu+mobo+ram will run you pretty much at least $230~. Include windows ($120), a case ($50~) and you're up to $400. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

When I say light gaming, I mean an occasional game of BF2 or Company of Heroes, games that the Intel HD 3000 IGPU  on my laptop handles pretty well.

Gaming really isn't the main focus though.

I just want a desktop for as cheap as possible because I prefer them to laptops for working.

Also, I need to be able to pick up or have delivered all of the parts to Tasmania, Australia.

When I say light gaming, I mean an occasional game of BF2 or Company of Heroes, games that the Intel HD 3000 IGPU  on my laptop handles pretty well.

Gaming really isn't the main focus though.

I just want a desktop for as cheap as possible because I prefer them to laptops for working.

Also, I need to be able to pick up or have delivered all of the parts to Tasmania, Australia.

this will be much better than the Intel HD3000

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/GCvZzy

and i do like to see a lego casing 

lol

For $300 or less you're better off buying a pre-built system as you really can't compete on sub-$500 systems. 

A cpu+psu+mobo+ram will run you pretty much at least $230~. Include windows ($120), a case ($50~) and you're up to $400. 

Where I live its impossible to buy anything pre-built for less than $500 and I won't be able to take a PC case on a plane very easily when I come back from Australia.

Where I live its impossible to buy anything pre-built for less than $500 and I won't be able to take a PC case on a plane very easily when I come back from Australia.

the benefits of lego

break apart and build it when you are back

PCPartPicker part list: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/ZnGxbv

CPU: AMD A8-6600K 3.9GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($115.00 @ PCCaseGear) 

Motherboard: ASRock FM2A55M-HD+ Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($59.00 @ PLE Computers) 

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  ($89.00 @ CPL Online) 

Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Essential 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($59.00 @ CPL Online) 

Total: $322.00

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-13 06:19 EST+1000

My Little Gaming Rig:

PCPartPicker part list: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/ZnGxbv

Motherboard: ASRock FM2A55M-HD+ Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($59.00 @ PLE Computers) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  ($89.00 @ CPL Online) 
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Essential 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($59.00 @ CPL Online) 
Total: $322.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-13 06:19 EST+1000

good try but the RAM speeds is really important aspect of the APU builds 

1333MHz will choke the A8 very badly

good try but the RAM speeds is really important aspect of the APU builds 

1333MHz will choke the A8 very badly

it wont choke it to bad, and he can upgrade it once he gets some money, also it wouldn't cost to much to get faster ram. 

My Little Gaming Rig:

it wont choke it to bad, and he can upgrade it once he gets some money, also it wouldn't cost to much to get faster ram. 

hmm

i see this 

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/kingston-memory-kvr16n118

same price and its 1600MHz

that is A8 APU sweetspot for RAM coz it only work with 1866MHz max speed

Wouldn't I need an after-market cooler like a 212 Evo to stop it from melting?

I want to keep costs down and adding another $40 isn't something I am really interested in doing.

I want to keep costs down and adding another $40 isn't something I am really interested in doing.

not really the stock fan will do fine but no advised to OC with the stock cooler

the AM1 can be a interesting build due to its small size

CPU: AMD 5350 2.05Ghz Quad-Core Processor  ($75.00 @ Mwave Australia) 

Motherboard: Asus AM1M-A Micro ATX AM1 Motherboard  ($49.00 @ Mwave Australia) 

Memory: Kingston Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($95.00 @ CPL Online) 

Power Supply: SeaSonic 300W 80+ Gold Certified TFX Power Supply  ($79.00 @ Mwave Australia) 

Total: $298.00

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-13 14:10 EST+1000

stop cooler is enough for clock speeds 

My Little Gaming Rig:

If you're heavily overclocking, then it might kill the CPU. If not, then no. CPU's aren't made of rubber or plastic.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

I'm pretty much decided.

I am looking for something cheap that I can use for working and maybe a bit of gaming here and there.

I think these parts should fill that role:

AMD A4 5350
ASUS AM1M-A AM1 mATX
G.SKILL RipjawsX 8GB

SeaSonic SS-300TGW TFX 300W