Popcorn Time now has a free, built-in VPN

TopWargamer

Source: http://torrentfreak.com/popcorn-time-gives-users-anonymity-with-a-free-built-in-vpn-140607/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Torrentfreak+%28Torrentfreak%29&utm_content=FaceBook

One of the Popcorn Time forks has included a free VPN option in its software, allowing users to hide their IP-addresses from the public, This feature is a response to copyright trolls, who regularly send settlement requests to users who pirate movies via BitTorrent.

Popcorn Time is doing it right. They're saving users the hassle of getting a VPN to hide their BitTorrent activity within Popcorn Time, which is, quite frankly, a very good idea. Now pirates will be even trickier to track down via IP address. 

COMIC SANS

Yay, I guess? At least it's a good idea they've implemented.

You never know how safe the free VPN provider is. One will not know if the VPN provider will spill the beans to the authorities.

For true anonymity, it's best to use a paid VPN service.

LOL, That made my day

on topic: That is really nice that they include that but the sad thing is popcorn time is not available in Turkey -.-

Use a VPN to download it :)

You never know how safe the free VPN provider is. One will not know if the VPN provider will spill the beans to the authorities.

I agree, except the last part. a paid VPN could potentially reduce your anonymity.

Having a built in free VPN is not really that secure. It might be, and I suspect it is, a honey pot.

I agree, except the last part. a paid VPN could potentially reduce your anonymity.

Having a built in free VPN is not really that secure. It might be, and I suspect it is, a honey pot.

Kebrum is a paid service, they're giving that paid service for free via popcorn time. 

This revolution does come at a cost for the company, as it has to pick up the bills. However, Kebrum believes that the brand exposure will make up for this investment. The traffic shouldn’t be a problem for the company, as it has plenty of resources available.

review from VPNcreative.http://vpncreative.net/vpn-providers/kebrum/

All in all, Kebrum is one of the best solutions that is currently available for both casual and professional users alike. While they do not have servers in a wide number of different countries, those servers have absolutely no restrictions and are quite fast. For the purpose of getting around basic GEOIP restrictions, Kebrum is an excellent, cheap, and fast solution that will let you do virtually anything online. If you are looking for an affordable solution that also provides you with excellent support when it is required, consider signing up for Kebrum today.
Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

paid vpns can spill the beans too... and your not 100% anonymous with a vpn anyways..

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

paid vpns can spill the beans too... and your not 100% anonymous with a vpn anyways..

You are not 100% anonymous with anything to be fair.

Tor

It wouldn't really work with Popcorn Time though.

What are the chances of me getting into legal trouble using this?

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

yea you are, it takes one simple step

post-5552-0-80202000-1402195109.jpg

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

AFAIK VPN's don't block P2P. 

So this is kind of irrelevant. 

Time4Popcorn.eu i dont really recommend anyone using that service

Time4Popcorn is a piece of software that i do not recommend. We have several reasons for that, but on this moment we have created an other topic on my subreddit /r/time4popcorn to outsource the discussion from here to there. On this moment, Time4Popcorn is not dangerous (moment of writing). But that could change of course, we recommend choosing another piece of software. If you want to know more, please click the link below.
Some things to note when you choose to install Time4Popcorn.
Time4Popcorn has stolen most of its code from our amazing contributors on discuss.get-popcorn.com. (Without giving credits).
Time4Popcorn has disabled all coding exept for the nodewebkit, they refer to a server to watch movies. This server's code can be taken offline, be made into a honeypot for the feds or to steal your bankaccount. Simply because the code is just like a website. And you install that on your pc. Installing Time4Popcorn could lead to many bad things, because you install only the nodewebkit for streaming and the rest is only shown by using the website: app.time4popcorn.eu

Link to these threads: 

http://www.reddit.com/r/time4popcorn/comments/24a7qd/why_time4popcorn_is_incredibly_dangerous/

http://www.reddit.com/r/PopCornTime/comments/232xmf/a_list_of_popcorn_time_clones_and_android/

Also that VPN logs data

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

Tor

It wouldn't really work with Popcorn Time though.

Tor is not 100% anonymous.

Curing shitposts by shitposts

Tor is not 100% anonymous.

Define "100% anonymous".

It is anonymous in the sense that the packets you send are very very difficult to trace back to you (assuming you also block JS/other security holes like Flash and don't reveal yourself by posting with your real name and such).

Define "100% anonymous".

It is anonymous in the sense that the packets you send are very very difficult to trace back to you (assuming you also block JS/other security holes like Flash and don't reveal yourself by posting with your real name and such).

While difficult, tor isn't impossible to trace, just time consuming

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

While difficult, tor isn't impossible to trace, just time consuming

No, not time consuming, pretty much impossible in some situations.

Someone has to own all relays in the chain for it to work, and you can pick which relay to connect to. Just pick them from different countries and it will be impossible to track (unless they break the encryption for all the relays).

I wrote about how it works in this post. It should give a clear understanding of why it is so secure and private.

Of course it is in theory possible to track it in certain situations (or by brute force) but it is also in theory impossible to track if used correctly (other than brute forcing layer after layer of encryption).

No, not time consuming, pretty much impossible in some situations.

Someone has to own all relays in the chain for it to work, and you can pick which relay to connect to. Just pick them from different countries and it will be impossible to track (unless they break the encryption for all the relays).

I wrote about how it works in this post. It should give a clear understanding of why it is so secure and private.

Of course it is in theory possible to track it in certain situations (or by brute force) but it is also in theory impossible to track if used correctly (other than brute forcing layer after layer of encryption).

I'm well aware of how it works.I meant time consuming as in finding each relay. And time consuming isn't the best of words I could have said. brute force is a better word. And, even though connections are encrypted once you're in the onion network, it's possible for snoopers to see where traffic enters and exits the network, and from there, it's possible to connect the dots and identify the user and the user's destination. 

I'm well aware of how it works.I meant time consuming as in finding each relay. And time consuming isn't the best of words I could have said. brute force is a better word. And, even though connections are encrypted once you're in the onion network, it's possible for snoopers to see where traffic enters and exits the network, and from there, it's possible to connect the dots and identify the user and the user's destination. 

I am not sure where you got that quote from, but while it is true, it isn't just that simple. Yes, it is possible to *maybe* figure out who is sending what if you own both the guard relay and the exit relay, but that's why it connects to multiple guard relays, and why it is recommended that you pick relays that are in different countries.

That's why the police had to rely on things like the founder of that drug site posting with his personal email to catch him, instead of just tracing him through Tor.

The risk of being tracer through Tor is extremely small. Of course it's not impossible, but it is so small it is basically impossible in practice. Again, that's why the police have to rely on things like security holes in Firefox/JS, or people revealing personal information.

I am not sure where you got that quote from, but while it is true, it isn't just that simple. Yes, it is possible to *maybe* figure out who is sending what if you own both the guard relay and the exit relay, but that's why it connects to multiple guard relays, and why it is recommended that you pick relays that are in different countries.

That's why the police had to rely on things like the founder of that drug site posting with his personal email to catch him, instead of just tracing him through Tor.

The risk of being tracer through Tor is extremely small. Of course it's not impossible, but it is so small it is basically impossible in practice. Again, that's why the police have to rely on things like security holes in Firefox/JS, or people revealing personal information.

I'm just saying, eventually this will be cracked. Either a virus will be implanted in a relay, and allowing it to transmit to others, or some other form 

I'm just saying, eventually this will be cracked. Either a virus will be implanted in a relay, and allowing it to transmit to others, or some other form 

A virus in a relay would not work for the same reason as one malicious relay can't do anything. Because nobody except your own computer knows the full circuit

RSA, which is used for establishing the short session keys will be cracked (hell we can already brute force the weaker implementations of it) but there are so many layers it will still take quite a long time to break through them all (and it is continuously being upgraded).

The theory behind Tor itself is bullet proof. It will never be cracked. User errors, exploits in the browser or if you connect to only malicious relays are the 3 cases where Tor won't protect you. None of them is the fault of Tor itself.

Anyway enough about Tor. The thread is about VPNs and I wouldn't be surprised if the built in one is a honey pot. If what someone said earlier in the thread about them admitting to logging users then it's not even a well disguised honey pot.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Holy Necro man this thread is over a year old and nearly a year dead.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

lol what good VPN does if NSA can just acces it.

I would think the NSA is not responcible for reporting if you are watching game of thrones.

Also I don't think they have stolen many CC numbers over public WiFi.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.