did I just allow a virus to get on my pc

pixeldensity

So here the situation my relative stupidly clicked a spam link to download a .zip file onto my pc. and it started to download the .zip file. But I got there just in time to cancel the download however, it was at zero bytes already but still was downloading I was wondering did a virus get onto my computer or did me canceling to download stop it dead in its tracks.

also I should mention the spam file that was downloaded was the fake email from USPS

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

So here the situation my relative stupidly clicked a spam link to download a .zip file onto my pc. and it started to download the .zip file. But I got there just in time to cancel the download however, it was at zero bytes already but still was downloading I was wondering did a virus get onto my computer or did me canceling to download stop it dead in its tracks.

Scan with Malwarebytes.

Not an expert or experienced with these things but it sounds like you should be ok? I mean you didn't even open the file so it seems like no harm was done... Don't take my work for it though. I only got a virus once, and I just bought a new hard drive to fix the issue. :P 

also I should mention the spam file that was downloaded was the fake email from USPS

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

Some of it is still on your PC once you have not deleted it yet.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Some of it is still on your PC once you have not deleted it yet.

No you didn't. Chrome does that sometimes.

I haven't opened the .zip file yet so is my pc still not compromised?

I haven't opened the .zip file yet so is my pc still not compromised?

Right and some of it is in the compressed file, just press shift and delete at the same time.

Right and some of it is in the compressed file, just press shift and delete at the same time.

okay thats good to hear that my computer is still safe at some degree. How would I find this folder, is it just my download file that the virus file is in?

It could have also downloaded a hidden virus, run an malwarebytes scan to check, if it does not find anything you should be fine

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Laptop: ASUS N56VJ

It should be ok if you stopped it but definitely delete the file and scan just in case

[spoiler=Current Rig:]i5-4670K @ 4.4 Ghz on 1.3v | MSI Z87I | GTX 780 @ 1150 Mhz | 2x8GB ADATA XPG | Samsung 840 250GB SSD | CM V700 PSU | Custom Watercooled in a Caselabs S3

[spoiler=Peripherals:]Mad Catz R.A.T. 7 | Corsair K70 | Sennheiser Urbanite headphones | Corsair Vengeance MM200 | Asus PB278Q + Samsung 22"

okay thats good to hear that my computer is still safe at some degree. How would I find this folder, is it just my download file that the virus file is in?

Well to find it you would have to know what folder is selected as your default download folder in your browser. I don't know if you made any changes to your system so only you can know where the folder is. If you are using chrome and basically any browser default then it is located in Desktop then the folder that has the name of your PC on it then Downloads with the blue upside down arrow on it. Some where in there is where you would find it.

When you find it and delete it still run a scan on your system.

Right now I am running malwarebytes right now.

It should be ok if you stopped it but definitely delete the file and scan just in case

the thing is I canceled the download, so I don't have the file in my download folder I was just wondering if the file is placed somewhere else.

Well to find it you would have to know what folder is selected as your default download folder in your browser. I don't know if you made any changes to your system so only you can know where the folder is. If you are using chrome and basically any browser default then it is located in Desktop then the folder that has the name of your PC on it then Downloads with the blue upside down arrow on it. Some where in there is where you would find it.

When you find it and delete it still run a scan on your system.

I use Firefox, and all files downloaded, except for office files that I open, go to the file you just described. Also i have to mention that my default action for FF .zip downloads is open with windows explorer

I use Firefox, and all files downloaded, except for office files that I open, go to the file you just described. Also i have to mention that my default action for FF .zip downloads is open with windows explorer

So did you find it or not?

So did you find it or not?

nah I didn't find it.

nah I didn't find it.

If there aren't any files in your standard download location then it's probably fine, just let the malwarebytes scan finish and you're good

[spoiler=Current Rig:]i5-4670K @ 4.4 Ghz on 1.3v | MSI Z87I | GTX 780 @ 1150 Mhz | 2x8GB ADATA XPG | Samsung 840 250GB SSD | CM V700 PSU | Custom Watercooled in a Caselabs S3

[spoiler=Peripherals:]Mad Catz R.A.T. 7 | Corsair K70 | Sennheiser Urbanite headphones | Corsair Vengeance MM200 | Asus PB278Q + Samsung 22"

nah I didn't find it.

I forgot to mention that unfinished internet downloads and renamed as .unconfirmed download with no recognizable file extension in chrome it was the same for firefox some years ago when i was using it.

I forgot to mention that unfinished internet downloads and renamed as .unconfirmed download with no recognizable file extension in chrome it was the same for firefox some years ago when i was using it.

do you know where those file go off to?

do you know where those file go off to?

they go in the folder that is selected with your browser. The arrow shows my location i left it as default. You have to check yours to know where your folder is.

post-3854-0-46383200-1402110918_thumb.pn

post-3854-0-46383200-1402110918_thumb.pn

they go in the folder that is selected with your browser. The arrow shows my location i left it as default. You have to check yours to know where your folder is.

-snip-

yep that's where my download leads to.

yep that's where my download leads to.

so you found it or not?

The best thing to do is just to clear your temporary internet files, your temp folder and stuff, if the remaints are left thats probably where they'll be.  However, a virus cant just do all hell to your system in a zip folder, you have to extract it and stuff before it can do harm, most times the virus is an infected adobe reader exploit or infected office file etc.  Just its good to clear the folders anyways just to be safe :)

so you found it or not?

nope

The best thing to do is just to clear your temporary internet files, your temp folder and stuff, if the remaints are left thats probably where they'll be.  However, a virus cant just do all hell to your system in a zip folder, you have to extract it and stuff before it can do harm, most times the virus is an infected adobe reader exploit or infected office file etc.  Just its good to clear the folders anyways just to be safe :)

well I did ask FF to open it up when done downloading but i was able to cancel the download so hopefully it probably wasn't able to open, although it said it was at 0 btyes but still in the process of downloading

Alright so MB just finished it's scanning and found Connect_DLC adware and something called Installbrain from InstallQ, which MB says it is PUP. So these aren't virus right?