Maglev Keyboards

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/06/darfon-maglev-keyboard/
Better Source: http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/darfons-super-thin-maglev-keyboard-will-make-notebooks-even-slimmer/

So this tech has been around for a few good years now, but these keyboards, which use Magnets to pop the keys back up instead of rubber domes enable laptops to be thinner whilst still retaining some sort of tactile feedback - You can even supposedly adjust the electromagnetism to change how the keyboard feels to type on

It looks right now as if we will see notebooks using this by the end of the year, 'some Manufacturers' have apparently made orders; It will be interesting to see the public response to them.

I think this is pretty Epic, Combined with the new Intel Core M Chips that enable stunningly thin, full fledged windows PCs, we should be seeing some Much more thinner devices in the near Future

EDIT #1: This tech also increases the number of Keystrokes in  the Keyboard's lifetime, Up from 10 to 15 Million according to this Article:
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20140605PD209.html

darfonmaglevkeyboard.jpg

" If you don't hand your homework In, I might have find where you live and break your House." <<-- Mr Leat, 2013

Wow, potentially the new 'mechanical' keyboard?
I can imagine it would feel increasingly harder to push down a key, giving a light > heavy feel kind of like a mixed MX Red/Black switch.

Wow, potentially the new 'mechanical' keyboard?

I can imagine it would feel increasingly harder to push down a key, giving a light > heavy feel kind of like a mixed MX Red/Black switch.

That's a good point actually about The varied pushback - Though the travel distance is so small that It might not even be that noticeable, and the keys will most likely still touch the base anyhow, with the magnets likely being used simply to pop the keys back up

" If you don't hand your homework In, I might have find where you live and break your House." <<-- Mr Leat, 2013

Sounds cool i think this would go really well in the apple mac keyboards that come with the imac surely this isnt confined to just laptops?

This will only work properly on LP keyboards because regular keyboards have a much greater travel distance for the keys. The magnetic field is not linear, so the more you pushed down the harder it would get to push. This would give a 'spongy' feel to the keys and not be very good :(

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Sounds cool i think this would go really well in the apple mac keyboards that come with the imac surely this isnt confined to just laptops?

They have said they will make tablet Docks, but as for Desktop keyboards, good aesthetics can be pulled off without making them Ultra thin - But there is no reason why it Isn't Possible!

This will only work properly on LP keyboards because regular keyboards have a much greater travel distance for the keys. The magnetic field is not linear, so the more you pushed down the harder it would get to push. This would give a 'spongy' feel to the keys and not be very good :(

I don't think they would feel particularly spongey, as the magnetism will likely be not that strong, weak enough not to stop the keys from making contact with the base: A small force would be enough just to pop them back up

Not if you vary the strength using an electromagnet.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Interesting, but if the magnets needs to be powered, doesn't that mean reduce battery life?

Well I hope manufactures get on the case and start using this magnetic switch seeing as it will make current Ultrabooks and laptops more thin and I have though of it the new Intel Core M Cpus could be really efficient enough to not need fans to cool them (or it's just my stupid ass over thinking) making Next-Gen Ultrabooks way more thinner 

$$金Trill金$$

Not if you vary the strength using an electromagnet.

lol so the strength will need to continuously change every time you press a key down? Well this will add a whole new type of lag...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

lol so the strength will need to continuously change every time you press a key down? Well this will add a whole new type of lag...

I don't think you understand how fast electricity is if you think will add lag. 

Interesting, but if the magnets needs to be powered, doesn't that mean reduce battery life?

What if they could make keyboards that with each key press you would create a very small amount of energy/electricity that could power or at least help power that type of keyboard O.o At least that would seem like a reasonable solution if it requires electricity to work. Probably harder to do than I make it seem but that would be a really cool idea if it is possible.

I don't think you understand how fast electricity is if you think will add lag. 

Oh yeah? Then the electricity going through your computer is instant therefore you get 0 input lag? Yeah right.

A key on the keyboard would have to calculate how far the key is pressed down, then change the strength accordingly to keep liker pressure. If people are complaining mechanical keyboards are expensive, imagine how much something like that would cost. I'm pretty sure solenoids and electromagnets will cost way more than a tiny spring.

Spoiler

Oh yeah? Then the electricity going through your computer is instant therefore you get 0 input lag? Yeah right.

A key on the keyboard would have to calculate how far the key is pressed down, then change the strength accordingly to keep liker pressure. If people are complaining mechanical keyboards are expensive, imagine how much something like that would cost. I'm pretty sure solenoids and electromagnets will cost way more than a tiny spring.

"Add lag" was probably meant relative to other, usual keyboards.

Electromagnets shouldn't cost more than a spring, as it's just coiled wire about a piece of metal. Compare that to a spring, where the coil must have a very specific rebound and strength.

Either way it is just speculation at the moment, so I could be wrong. I just don't think we should dismiss new tech at first glance.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

There is 0 lag. You are confusing processing time and lag. HUGE difference.

A keyboard system as mention, doesn't need a processor.

I realy want to try one of these now. seeml like it will be much better than the normal dome/chicklet key design

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Interesting, I'd definitely be up for trying a new type of laptop board, the best ones that I've personally used are normally on Lenovo Thinkpads.

lenovo-thinkpad-t410-18-keyboard.jpg

Eeew, no thanks. This probably feels just as bad as surface touch cover.

darfonmaglevkeyboard03.jpg

Eeew, no thanks. This probably feels just as bad as surface touch cover.

[picture]

The picture you have, indicates to me a prototype done in rush to show something at the press. As clearly the base (the plastic surrounding the keys) is either too thick, or the keyboard is not installed correctly due to miss measurement of the molding or at the initial design.

I doubt it will be like this.

This is the future,i want a keyboard like that dedicated please.

I find it hard to justify this outside of Laptops and tablet attachments, to be honest.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

Well I hope manufactures get on the case and start using this magnetic switch seeing as it will make current Ultrabooks and laptops more thin and I have though of it the new Intel Core M Cpus could be really efficient enough to not need fans to cool them (or it's just my stupid ass over thinking) making Next-Gen Ultrabooks way more thinner 

Hi chin chin.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Hmm, as long as it has more of a click rather than a soft push It'd be nice. If anything this seems more promising for PC accessories, things like mice with adjustable left and right click height, keyboard with extra addons that simple sit/float and all sorts of neat stuff. Also, thinner keyboards do mean more room inside which will hopefully allow for a slight improvement in laptop cooling. 

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P