New built PC running Windows 8.1 not picking up Wi-Fi?

Hey Guys,

I just built my PC and after a long afternoon of downloading windows 8.1 to a USB and installing it on to my fresh built PC, I thought the internet would be up and running. Unfortunately, windows 8.1 is not picking up any internet whatsoever meaning most of my hardware is quite useless without drivers. Now, the network driver that's there is called "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller." Trouble is, it's not picking up any internet, and I can't uninstall it because it just re-appears whenever I reboot the system. And no matter how many times I've tried to install the ASUS drivers that came with the disc and off the internet with a USB drive, they won't work or even appear in device manager for that matter. I've literally wrestled with almost every potential option, that I'm beginning to get sick and tired of it. Now I may have just discovered that the driver does not take Wireless connections and only takes a wired connection, which leaves me stuck because I don't have an ethernet cable. I have attempted to install the driver so many times that it's getting ridiculous at this point. I can't update the driver or roll it back and I am literally stuck and have no idea of what to do. Can anyone help please? 

Steve

If you have a smartphone, you could use it to download the driver's from Asus website.Then connect over usb. I used to wrestle with Gigabyte over the same issues. FYI, just tested my first typing on K70 with MX blues for this response. No errors at all. Love it, and good luck.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

What are the specs of your PC?

Have you tried looking in the device manager for the wifi device and checking if you can install new drivers from there?

Is it possible to run a long Ethernet cable to the PC until you get the wifi up and running?

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

Do you have a wireless adapter or wireless on your motherboard?

Do you have a wireless adapter or wireless on your motherboard?

I'm unsure, the drivers that came with the motherboard (as in the ones you have to install yourself) are for, I think, wireless connections... But they won't override the existing driver

What are the specs of your PC?

Have you tried looking in the device manager for the wifi device and checking if you can install new drivers from there?

Is it possible to run a long Ethernet cable to the PC until you get the wifi up and running?

I have an:

AMD FX-6300

ASUS GTX-760

Mobo- ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0

Like I said, unfortunately, I don't have an ethernet cable. I have searched the drivers too. I have searched for new existing drivers, but they will not install or override the existing driver

I'm unsure, the drivers that came with the motherboard (as in the ones you have to install yourself) are for, I think, wireless connections... But they won't override the existing driver

I don't think that motherboard has onboard wireless you will need to buy a pci or usb wireless card/dongle like this one http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WN881ND-Wireless-Express-Low-profile/dp/B0079XWMEI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401921200&sr=8-1&keywords=pcie+wireless+network+card (example) for your computer to be able to get wireless connectivity.

I don't think that motherboard has onboard wireless you will need to buy a pci or usb wireless card/dongle like this one http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WN881ND-Wireless-Express-Low-profile/dp/B0079XWMEI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401921200&sr=8-1&keywords=pcie+wireless+network+card (example) for your computer to be able to get wireless connectivity.

Balls, was hoping to avoid spending money...

Balls, was hoping to avoid spending money...

Your motherboard doesn't have WiFi, unless you get an adapter you won't be able to connect.

Your motherboard doesn't have WiFi, unless you get an adapter you won't be able to connect.

Well, better go and get one then. Thanks! BTW, does it make a huge difference whether you get a USB dongle or a PCI card?

Well, better go and get one then. Thanks! BTW, does it make a huge difference whether you get a USB dongle or a PCI card?

I would get a PCI card personally I have found USB ones I have used to be less strong.

I would just get a Ethernet cable. I find that desktops with WiFi kind of kill the point. But that's just me

I find that desktops with WiFi kind of kill the point.

My youngest son has the old family desktop in his room. I do not want to run Ethernet up there and I can't run cable through the walls (rented property) so a WiFi connection makes sense.  I use a dongle so it is easily removable as we don't want him on the net willy nilly (he has learning difficulties and would probably put too much information onto social-networking sites,usenet etc) and a PCI card would involve magor surgery every time we wanted to add (or remove) the WiFi

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

My youngest son has the old family desktop in his room. I do not want to run Ethernet up there and I can't run cable through the walls (rented property) so a WiFi connection makes sense.  I use a dongle so it is easily removable as we don't want him on the net willy nilly (he has learning difficulties and would probably put too much information onto social-networking sites,usenet etc) and a PCI card would involve magor surgery every time we wanted to add (or remove) the WiFi

Wouldn't i make more sense to configure your router, so it does that(MAC Adress whitelisting, maybe 802.11x?)? If your son really wants Internet, he could go to the Next store, and buy a cheap Wifi USB dongle, you wouldn't even notice...

If your son really wants Internet, he could go to the Next store, and buy a cheap Wifi USB dongle, you wouldn't even notice...

Oh I would.

Someone would need to go to "the store" with him (as he doesn't self travel). 

Even if the shop that sold these things were next door I still feel he won't do this as he doesn't think that deeply about things . (IQ of a 5~6 year old)

Besides editing the router settings every time I wanted a connection up there is more work than simply slipping a dongle in and out of the port (that sounds Fnarr-Fnarr but you know what I mean)

"This too shall pass"

Well, most routers have a function to disable internet for a specific MAC address on a specific time(At least my old Modem/Router had, I now have a router with OpenWRT). You wouldn't even need to get the stick :D *laziness overload*

Well, most routers have a function to disable internet for a specific MAC address on a specific time(At least my old Modem/Router had, I now have a router with OpenWRT). You wouldn't even need to get the stick :D *laziness overload*

But I wouldn't know ahead of time when this disabling was required (or rather enabling, disabled is the default) it is very much a when I remember and when it is needed thing NOT (say) 5:30 every Thursday

"This too shall pass"