Corsair releasing HXi 'digital' psu's

Faa

Corsair_HX1000i_01.jpg

Specifications

• 80 PLUS Platinum efficiency
  • Fully modular DC cable set
  • 100% Japanese electrolytic capacitors rated at 105°c
  • Zero-RPM fan mode for virtually silent operation at low and medium loads
  • Corsair Link support for monitoring efficiency, voltages, power output, temperature, and fan speed plus user customizable setting of rail modes and fan speed.
  • Fluid dynamic bearing fan 140mm
  • Continuous power rated at 50° Celsius
  • Models and MSRP USD pricing

HX750i 750 watt: $169.99
HX850i 850 watt: $189.99 
HX1000i 1000 watt: $229.99

Availability
The HXi Series PSUs are backed by a seven-year warranty and will be available from Corsair's worldwide network of authorized retailers and distributors in August 2014.

Source: 
http://www.techpowerup.com/201495/corsair-launches-the-hxi-series-power-supplies.html

Nice to see 7year warranty trickling down from the AX range.

Nice to see 7year warranty trickling down from the AX range.

Still theyre too expensive, you can get a 750 G2 for 60$ less. This just means theyre going to refresh their current axi psu's except the 1500w ofc with a better fan, fanprofile and a titanium cert.

#uw0tm8

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Alreadyposted

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

This just means theyre going to refresh their current axi psu's except the 1500w ofc with a better fan, fanprofile and a titanium cert.

This is pretty much what I am reading from this as well.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Alreadyposted

got a link with that? bit of waste of time without one.

got a link with that? bit of waste of time without one.

I'm on mobile. Give me one second

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

These types of stories mean nothing until we know who the OEM for these units is. I've always told people to skip the AXi series and get the standard AX series because Seasonic > Flextronics or, better yet, just buy a Seasonic-branded PSU and stop supporting the misleading practice of companies like Corsair slapping their label on someone else's work.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

These types of stories mean nothing until we know who the OEM for these units is. I've always told people to skip the AXi series and get the standard AX series because Seasonic > Flextronics or, better yet, just buy a Seasonic-branded PSU and stop supporting the misleading practice of companies like Corsair slapping their label on someone else's work.

Apart from the fact that Corsair works to offer equally great warranties and after sales support and IMO better build quality. 

But hey, whats the point of a free market if you don't have choice? 

Lotus uses Camry engines yet look at what they do. Just because Corsair sources from Seasonic doesn't mean they are automatically second tier for it...

Misleading? Really? Do you think most people GIVE A SHIT about who actually makes their products? No. Marketing is as important, and don't be mad at Corsair for being better at it. 

Apart from the fact that Corsair works to offer equally great warranties and after sales support and IMO better build quality. 

But hey, whats the point of a free market if you don't have choice? 

Lotus uses Camry engines yet look at what they do. Just because Corsair sources from Seasonic doesn't mean they are automatically second tier for it...

Misleading? Really? Do you think most people GIVE A SHIT about who actually makes their products? No. Marketing is as important, and don't be mad at Corsair for being better at it. 

I care about who makes my products and I'd hope that anyone in this forum would feel the same, given that this is a forum dedicated to computer hardware. We're supposed to be the people who care about what's under the hood. Razer is great at marketing, too, but they are despised by a large number of people on this forum for the poor quality of their products. With Corsair, you can generally assume you're getting a great product, but anyone who buys something because it says Corsair on it is an idiot; indeed, anyone who buys anything of any significant monetary value without first researching the product is an idiot. Just as I care about who makes the switches in a mechanical keyboard or who makes the flash memory in a solid-state drive, I think it is of vital importance to know who builds the power supply unit, seeing as how it is the single most important component in one's computer, the component that has the potential to fry everything else in the computer or at least contribute to the slow death of other components.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

"100% Japanese electrolytic capacitors"

Anyone else just hate this kinda statements?

Why can't manufacturers just say "Uses high-quality electrolytics made by Rubycon and Nichicon"?

inb4 Fuhjyyu opens a tiny factory in japan

@Raid yeah but anyone who markets Fuhjyyu by saying "100% Jap Caps" will get torn to shreds. Sneaky strategy but it wouldn't work.

I've been waiting for another series from Corsair. This is interesting. Let's begin.

7 year warranty. Kind of like the AX and AXi Series.

High quality Jap Caps only. Kind of like the AX and AXi Series.

Platinum Efficiency. Kind of like the (newer) AX and AXi Series.

Digital/C-Link nonsense. Kind of like the AXi and RM Series. But really. Who cares. Stop adding it to PSUs and actually make it work.

Zero-RPM and other various silent fans and fan modes. Kind of like every new enthusiast grade PSU worth it's weight.

FDB fan. Hopefully this will actually be an FDB unlike the RM Series. A little ballsy with a 7 year warranty. Banking on it not drying out. Still, not impressive.

Fully Modular. Damn well better be. Not impressive.

50C. Good, but I would expect that anyway.

So how is this HXi series worth releasing? Perhaps they're seeking to address the coil whine issues present in the AX Series and improve quality over the RM Series.

HXi Pricing: 750W for $169.99. 850W for $189.99. 1000W for $229.99.

For comparison. EVGA's Supernova G2 Series comes in at $114.99 for the 750W, $149.99 for the 850W, and $189.99 for the 1000W on Newegg right now.

The HXi Series is $55, $30, and $40 more expensive than the Supernova G2 Series respectively. Boy is Corsair going to have to bring it to justify those prices. How in the hell are they going to compete with that? Obviously the answer is the same as the RM Series. Marketing and fanboyism over quality.

@quan289 in case you hadn't heard, and since it's not in the PSU subforum.

I've always told people to skip the AXi series and get the standard AX series because Seasonic > Flextronics or, better yet, just buy a Seasonic-branded PSU and stop supporting the misleading practice of companies like Corsair slapping their label on someone else's work.

Oh and have fun with this.

@Raid yeah but anyone who markets Fuhjyyu by saying "100% Jap Caps" will get torn to shreds. Sneaky strategy but it wouldn't work.

I've been waiting for another series from Corsair. This is interesting. Let's begin.

7 year warranty. Kind of like the AX and AXi Series.

High quality Jap Caps only. Kind of like the AX and AXi Series.

Platinum Efficiency. Kind of like the (newer) AX and AXi Series.

Digital/C-Link nonsense. Kind of like the AXi and RM Series. But really. Who cares. Stop adding it to PSUs and actually make it work.

Zero-RPM and other various silent fans and fan modes. Kind of like every new enthusiast grade PSU worth it's weight.

FDB fan. Hopefully this will actually be an FDB unlike the RM Series. A little ballsy with a 7 year warranty. Banking on it not drying out. Still, not impressive.

Fully Modular. Damn well better be. Not impressive.

50C. Good, but I would expect that anyway.

So how is this HXi series worth releasing? Perhaps they're seeking to address the coil whine issues present in the AX Series and improve quality over the RM Series.

For comparison. EVGA's Supernova G2 Series comes in at $114.99 for the 750W, $149.99 for the 850W, and $189.99 for the 1000W on Newegg right now.

The HXi Series is $55, $30, and $40 more expensive than the Supernova G2 Series respectively. Boy is Corsair going to have to bring it to justify those prices. How in the hell are they going to compete with that? Obviously the answer is the same as the RM Series. Marketing and fanboyism over quality.

@quan289 in case you hadn't heard, and since it's not in the PSU subforum.

Oh and have fun with this.

It's called brand loyalty. Lots of people believe in it, while lots of other people hate it, but it is a valid marketing strategy. EVGA is relatively new to the PSU market, it doesn't matter how good the OEM is for EVGA parts, they simply do not have the brand loyalty in the PSU market that Corsair has. I am in no way saying I support Corsair's pricing, but I do at least understand it. The original HX series was a trusted and go to option for many years, this is simply an update to that product line. People keep saying "cut out Corsair and just buy direct from Seasonic" but Seasonic's Platinum line is no more affordable. The Seasonic Platinum-760 is the same $169.99. True we don't know the OEM for the HXi series yet, but Corsair's pricing is not out of line compared to Seasonic. The G2 is not a valid comparison as it's only Gold certified, along with a variety of other differences.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

@jmaster299

The G2 is a valid comparison as it has excellent build quality and performance at a very nice price. I know that Corsair relies on brand recognition in many respects, but I don't care. When I consider the PSUs I will consider them in comparison to their competing PSUs. In my mind the HXi Series will need to provide that extra ~$40 of performance, functionality, build quality and customer & tech support to give me any reason to recommend it to someone. Fat chance it will accomplish that. In the end this means nothing however, the series will still be successful. I know.

On the "Cut out Corsair" tangent: I've heard that quite a lot. Corsair provides better customer service and tech support than Seasonic. It's easier to RMA to Corsair in North America. In addition, Corsair often sells Seasonic-made units cheaper than Seasonic sells their own equivalent (or identical) units. There are also slight differences in aesthetics that you might prefer, and brand loyalty I guess. It does make sense to buy Corsair some times. I don't wish they would go away. I do wish they would be more innovative and competitive.

The HXi Series OEM is probably Flextronics. Judging by the AXi Series. Besides that, Seasonic is really the only alternative. I can't imagine Corsair would drop either of those two to get the HXi Series made by CWT, Chicony or Great Wall, or any others. I don't have any issues with either Seasonic or Flextronics, but we'll have to wait and see to be certain.

@jmaster299

The G2 is a valid comparison as it has excellent build quality and performance at a very nice price. I know that Corsair relies on brand recognition in many respects, but I don't care. When I consider the PSUs I will consider them in comparison to their competing PSUs. In my mind the HXi Series will need to provide that extra ~$40 of performance, functionality, build quality and customer & tech support to give me any reason to recommend it to someone. Fat chance it will accomplish that. In the end this means nothing however, the series will still be successful. I know.

On the "Cut out Corsair" tangent: I've heard that quite a lot. Corsair provides better customer service and tech support than Seasonic. It's easier to RMA to Corsair in North America. In addition, Corsair often sells Seasonic and other OEM-made PSUs cheaper than the OEMs sell their equivalent (or identical) units. There are also slight differences in aesthetics that you might prefer, and brand loyalty I guess. It does make sense to buy Corsair some times. I don't wish they would go away. I do wish they would be more innovative and competitive.

The HXi Series OEM is probably Flextronics. Besides that, Seasonic is really the only alternative. I can't imagine Corsair would drop either of those two to get the HXi Series made by CWT, Chicony or Great Wall, or any others. I don't have any issues with either Seasonics or Flextronics, but we'll have to wait and see to be certain.

No, the G2 may be a valid alternative, but not a valid comparison. The ratings and features of the G2 series is not equivalent to what Corsair is offering in the HXi series. The valid comparison for the G2 series would be the original HX series or the more recent RM series. There is no one that needs all the features of the HXi series, but since when do people buy products based strictly on what they need.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

@jmaster299 The RM Series is unimpressive and expensive. The G2 Series is excellent and competitively priced. In every way it's superior to the RM Series. They're not equivalent. We don't know the manufacturer, internal components or any other important details of the HXi series yet. Even if Corsair's OEM went with top notch components and excellent build quality and performance, the G2 Series already has that. That $40 is going to be hard to justify. The G2 Series is easily comparable to the AX series, and the HXi series probably won't be able to improve on the AX/AXi beyond solving the coil whine issue.

@jmaster299 The RM Series is unimpressive and expensive. The G2 Series is excellent and competitively priced. In every way it's superior to the RM Series. They're not equivalent. We don't know the manufacturer, internal components or any other important details of the HXi series yet. Even if Corsair's OEM went with top notch components and excellent build quality and performance, the G2 Series already has that. That $40 is going to be hard to justify. The G2 Series is easily comparable to the AX series, and the HXi series probably won't be able to improve on the AX/AXi beyond solving the coil whine issue.

I know there are issues with the RM series, but it is still a more valid comparison to the G2 series than the new HXi series is. The G2 series is only Gold rated, any comparison to a Platinum rated PSU in terms of pricing is 100% invalid. Again, it's a valid alternative, but never a valid comparison. As I've already shown, the pricing of the HXi series is right in line with other Platinum rated PSU's.

@jmaster299 The efficiency is a result of the components (oversimplified). The difference in savings and heat lost due to inefficiency between Gold and Platinum is almost insignificant. The real difference that matters between the G2 and HXi are the components that leads to that efficiency difference. The G2 has excellent component choice and build quality (far better than the RM Series), and performs exactly how you would expect. Excellently. The AX and AXi Series are Platinum, but that doesn't necessarily make them better. They're about equivalent. Without price being considered. I doubt we're going to see $40 worth of better components that lead to that slight improvement in efficiency.

You're acting as though Platinum and Gold are definitive categorical differences between the units, rather than slight percentage differences in efficiency due to the build quality that lead to slightly less power being lost as heat. The 80Plus standards are arbitrary. Useful as rough measures of quality, but arbitrary.

@jmaster299 The efficiency is a result of the components (oversimplified). The difference in savings and heat lost due to inefficiency between Gold and Platinum is almost insignificant. The real difference that matters between the G2 and HXi are the components that leads to that efficiency difference. The G2 has excellent component choice and build quality (far better than the RM Series), and performs exactly how you would expect. Excellently. The AX and AXi Series are Platinum, but that doesn't necessarily make them better. They're about equivalent. Without price being considered. I doubt we're going to see $40 worth of better components that lead to that slight improvement in efficiency.

You're acting as though Platinum and Gold are definitive categorical differences between the units, rather than slight percentage differences in efficiency due to the build quality that lead to slightly less power being lost as heat. The 80Plus standards are arbitrary. Useful as rough measures of quality, but arbitrary.

The G2 components are good, but not good enough to achieve that stricter rating. I'm not saying it makes the HXi series a better choice, but it is still not a valid comparison to compare the price of two products that have two different ratings attached to them. The gold rated PSU's are going to be cheaper than platinum rated PSU's, period, end of story. They are a valid alternative, but you can never say that the Platinum PSU's are overpriced due to the pricing of the Gold PSU's. For pricing you must make direct comparisons, that means comparing the HXi series to other Platinum series PSU's. And when you make that valid comparison, the pricing of the HXi series is 100% in line with other Platinum rated PSU's on the market.

I know there are issues with the RM series, but it is still a more valid comparison to the G2 series than the new HXi series is. The G2 series is only Gold rated, any comparison to a Platinum rated PSU in terms of pricing is 100% invalid. Again, it's a valid alternative, but never a valid comparison. As I've already shown, the pricing of the HXi series is right in line with other Platinum rated PSU's.

Efficiency is just one factor to a PSU, and it doesn't give you the whole picture. Just because the RM series and the G2 series are Gold rated doesn't mean they are comparable. That's like saying the Antec Earthwatt Platinum is a more valid comparison to the Antec High Current Pro Platinum, which in actuality, even Bronze units such as the Corsair TXv2 and especially the Antec Signature in respect to build quality and electrical performance.

Efficiency is just one factor to a PSU, and it doesn't give you the whole picture. Just because the RM series and the G2 series are Gold rated doesn't mean they are comparable. That's like saying the Antec Earthwatt Platinum is a more valid comparison to the Antec High Current Pro Platinum, which in actuality, even Bronze units such as the Corsair TXv2 and especially the Antec Signature in respect to build quality and electrical performance.

I am strictly talking about price. It is not accurate to compare a gold rated G2 with parts that don't perform as well as the AX, AXi, HXi, or other quality Platinum series PSU's when comparing prices. You are wrong, 100% wrong, will never be right on this. You can recommend the G2 series as an alternative, but can never say that a higher rated product of equal or greater quality should have it's price reduced to meet that of a product with a lesser rating.

I am strictly talking about price.

You are talking about price in relation to efficiency - not just strictly price. In order to determine the price of an unit, there are various of factors taking place. You can't talk about price without talking about those factors. Obvious things like warranty, modularity, silence, efficiency, etc. can play a role into this, as well as other aspect such as topology design, electrical performance (vreg, ripple suppression, etc), build quality (components choices, soldering, etc). Looking at one factor to determine how comparable an unit is while ignoring all of the other is in itself wrong. As far as I could tell, Daemonowner was looking at all factors when conversing with you, while you only talked about efficiency.

RM vs G2? 40C vs 50C. If you can't compare an unit with efficiency, then you can't compare an unit with two different temperature rating. The same goes for mainstream vs high-end. The RM series is made to replace the TX series in the mainstream segment, while the G2 belongs in the high-end segment.

It is not accurate to compare a gold rated G2 with parts that don't perform as well as the AX, AXi, HXi, or other quality Platinum series PSU's when comparing prices.

The HXi series hasn't been release yet, so you don't know how well the unit will perform outside of efficiency. One thing I do know though is that the EVGA Supernova 1000w P2 can be gotten for $190 USD at Amazon, which is cheaper than the HXi MSRP. AXi offer overall better build quality and electrical performance than the G2. While there's a few things I don't like about the AXi, the two units aren't comparable but they are indeed among one of the best in the market. The G2 is better than the original AX, while it offer comparable voltage regulation on the +12v but slightly worse on the minor rails to the AX760/860. The ripple suppression is slightly better on the G2 as well. But quite honestly, they are so well regulated / suppressed, it's just a matter of bragging rights now. Both build quality is top-notch. If the only thing you have a problem with is the efficiency to the point we are arguing semantics about whether it is "comparable" or an "alternative", the EVGA unit must be doing rather well.

You are wrong, 100% wrong, will never be right on this. You can recommend the G2 series as an alternative, but can never say that a higher rated product of equal or greater quality should have it's price reduced to meet that of a product with a lesser rating.

When did I ever denied that a higher efficiency rating unit should be priced the same as lower efficiency unit, if they are the same or better quality? Unless there's a huge premium for that efficiency, that would be silly to do. What I was saying it is silly to compare an unit solely off of efficiency as I stated above. Antec Earthwatts Platinum vs Antec Truepower Classic. The 750w variant is more expensive on the EA-P, should the price of it be reduced to the TPC? Yes, In fact, I would put the lower than it, as it is superior in everything except for efficiency. If this was the HCP Platinum, then it should be more expensive than the TPC most definitely.

It's also not good to assume. While I believe the HXi would likely be a better unit than the G2, it's not out yet, so we can't accurately gauge how comparable one unit is as well as know if the unit is price appropriately. It's kind of like how some people were making out the RM series to be the original AX replacement; however, Corsair had never claimed it to be so, in which it was made to replaced not even the HX series but the TX.

_____

Edit: ...yeah...This is turning into a completely pointless, off-topic discussion

Don't forget there's also distribution. Where I live, you can find most (if not all) Corsair products and they are priced competitively whereas for EVGA, none could be found.