Any 4K Displays With DVI Or DisplayPort?

xnamkcor
Go to solution Solved by Ace,

Why are we depending on HDMI input? I can understand HDMI only output for certain things, due to copyright protection. But I see no reason why I cannot buy a 4K TV with a DisplayPort or Dual Link DVI input so I can view content from a device that is willing to output 4K in that "format" with that cable. HDMI 2.0 will support it, but we already have had plenty of DL-DVI and DP capable GPUs that can output 4K resolution without HDMI 2.0. I shouldn't have to upgrade my card to do something I can already do, and I'm not going to pay 4K TV prices for a device that won't even accept the video transfer methods that already exist and are available to almost all consumers.

The closest I've seen is Samsung's One Connect, which has the potential of having DL-DVI or DP, but I'll still have to buy additional hardware and I don't know if there will be lag.

Panasonic are the only company really doing it and its pretty much only the US getting the option to have one. http://www.panasonic.com/au/consumer/tvs-projectors/led-lcd-tvs/th-l65wt600a.html

Why are we depending on HDMI input? I can understand HDMI only output for certain things, due to copyright protection. But I see no reason why I cannot buy a 4K TV with a DisplayPort or Dual Link DVI input so I can view content from a device that is willing to output 4K in that "format" with that cable. HDMI 2.0 will support it, but we already have had plenty of DL-DVI and DP capable GPUs that can output 4K resolution without HDMI 2.0. I shouldn't have to upgrade my card to do something I can already do, and I'm not going to pay 4K TV prices for a device that won't even accept the video transfer methods that already exist and are available to almost all consumers.

The closest I've seen is Samsung's One Connect, which has the potential of having DL-DVI or DP, but I'll still have to buy additional hardware and I don't know if there will be lag.

hm?

most 4k computer displays use displayport ...

most 4k tvs use HDMI because thats what Blu Ray players etc use and for that purpose it is sufficient

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

I don't think you would find too many 4K videos at higher frame rates then 24/25 Hz anyway ...

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

most 4k computer displays use displayport ...

I want something large enough to watch or play from a couch or a distance. If I buy a monitor, I can only use it at my desk. As much as I love monitors, they're not great for the leanback and watch experience.

most 4k tvs use HDMI because thats what Blu Ray players etc use and for that purpose it is sufficient

HDMI is not sufficient. HDMI is limted to 24 or 30Hz for 4K. I'm not talking about movies or pre-rendered media. I'm talking about computer use.

I don't think you would find too many 4K videos at higher frame rates then 24/25 Hz anyway ...

Videos? I'm not talking about videos. I'm talking about computers. Computers render at any resolution they are capable.

Panasonic are the only company really doing it and its pretty much only the US getting the option to have one. http://www.panasonic.com/au/consumer/tvs-projectors/led-lcd-tvs/th-l65wt600a.html