Bitfenix Prodigy - Fallout 3 Case Mod - Vault Boy

Thanks a lot for the kind words man, really appreciate it. That's what I was going for, just something different and also wanted to have a go at some modding. Though my other build is in a Fractal case haha

And about putting components in it, I'm thinking the same thing haha, hopefully I'll be able to fit every thing nicely. Next thing I need to do are custom length sleeved cables :). I think that will be the key to getting everything in there, custom length cables.

Yea a special Vault Boy grill would be awesome, I'm gonna think about that for a while :P

Lol I just don't get what the big deal is about the Fracal cases, is it that they're not expensive or something? I just like the functional look. Although your other build that I think I saw in one of the backgrounds is nicer looking than most of the Fractal builds I've looked at.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Lol I just don't get what the big deal is about the Fracal cases, is it that they're not expensive or something? I just like the functional look. Although your other build that I think I saw in one of the backgrounds is nicer looking than most of the Fractal builds I've looked at.

The main reason I got that one is because its a small matx case, only slightly bigger than the prodigy and it can fit a 360 rad up top and 240 in the front with no mods. Build log for that is in my sig if you wanna see :). I think once I finish this build I will take the other one apart and mod that case too

SIMPLE MODZ

VAULT BOY - A Fallout inspired build  (Featured Build - December 2014) - GREEN MOLECULE - TOXIC CHROME - PARVUM FORMULA

Looks awesome... Just gonna go ahead and follow this

CPU: Intel Core 2 duo E8400 MOBO: Gigabyte EP45-DS3L GPU: Nvidia 9600gt PSU: Cooler Master 460w Case: Cooler Master Centurion 5 RAM: Crucial 1x2gb & Super Talent 2x2gb DDR2 

I ended up taking the badge off today and decided to have a go at painting it again as I didn't like how it looked up close and didn't do the sides quite right, couldn't see it in the pictures tho. It will be back up tomorrow.

Also I decided I'm gonna be starting a new thread in the build logs section, as @Trik'Stari suggested so that it will be easier for new people to find it, but I will keep updating here as well for the people that are already following this thread. I will also most likely hit up Rumikarimu's banner shop to get a cool looking banner for it :P

Anyways since this is now turning into a build log first I'm gonna let you guys know the purpose of this build as I already have another pretty functional one lol. I'm gonna be using this in my bedroom as a HTPC and for console like gaming, meaning mostly games that you can play with a controller. So pretty much HTPC / Steam Box. However once it's done I will be using it as my main rig while I revamp the other one with some modifications to the case, haven't really decided what exactly yet.

So I guess lets talk SPECS:

Case - Obviously my modded Bitfenix Prodigy :P
Motherboard - MSI Z97i Gaming
CPU - Intel Pentium Anniversary Edition G3258
GPU - XFX R9 290
RAM - 2 x 4GB G.Skill Rip-Jaws 1600Mhz
SSD - Crucial MX100 256GB
PSU - Silverstone Strider 550W Gold ST55F-G

Radiators - Alphacool NexXxoS Full Copper ST30 280mm, Alphacool NexXxoS Full Copper XT45 240mm
Fans - 2 x Cougar CFD 120mm Blue LED fans, 2 x Cougar CFD 140mm Blue LED fans
Pumps - Dual DDC Pumps with dual pump top
Reservoir - Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 150 Full Acrylic
Fittings - Various Bitspower Enhance Black Sparkle Fittings
Tubing - EK 12mm Hardline / Rigid Tubing
CPU/MB Block - EK-FB MSI Z97I-Gaming Nickel Plexi
GPU Block - EK-FC R9-290 Nickel Plexi
RAM Block - EK-RAM Monarch X2 Nickel Plexi, EK-RAM Monarch Modules

Hope I didn't miss anything. I'm willing to give the little Pentium a try, also saves me some money. If I'm not happy I will get Broadwell when it comes out, hopefully it stays on Z97. Also 256GB SSD should be enough for OS and about 5 or 6 games, don't really play that many at the same time :). Let me know what you guys think

SIMPLE MODZ

VAULT BOY - A Fallout inspired build  (Featured Build - December 2014) - GREEN MOLECULE - TOXIC CHROME - PARVUM FORMULA

Woohoo calm down with the awesome parts but why only 8gb of ram and not 16?

Hahaha I already have the ram from my previous build, 4 x 4GB sticks of Rip Jaws, unfortunately I can only use two sticks in this build :). Also something I can upgrade in the future if necessary, though for an HTPC and gaming should me more than enough in my opinion

SIMPLE MODZ

I ended up taking the badge off today and decided to have a go at painting it again as I didn't like how it looked up close and didn't do the sides quite right, couldn't see it in the pictures tho. It will be back up tomorrow.

Also I decided I'm gonna be starting a new thread in the build logs section, as @Trik'Stari suggested so that it will be easier for new people to find it, but I will keep updating here as well for the people that are already following this thread. I will also most likely hit up Rumikarimu's banner shop to get a cool looking banner for it :P

Anyways since this is now turning into a build log first I'm gonna let you guys know the purpose of this build as I already have another pretty functional one lol. I'm gonna be using this in my bedroom as a HTPC and for console like gaming, meaning mostly games that you can play with a controller. So pretty much HTPC / Steam Box. However once it's done I will be using it as my main rig while I revamp the other one with some modifications to the case, haven't really decided what exactly yet.

So I guess lets talk SPECS:

Case - Obviously my modded Bitfenix Prodigy :P

Motherboard - MSI Z97i Gaming

CPU - Intel Pentium Anniversary Edition G3258

GPU - XFX R9 290

RAM - 2 x 4GB G.Skill Rip-Jaws 1600Mhz

SSD - Crucial MX100 256GB

PSU - Silverstone Strider 550W Gold ST55F-G

Radiators - Alphacool NexXxoS Full Copper ST30 280mm, Alphacool NexXxoS Full Copper XT45 240mm

Fans - 2 x Cougar CFD 120mm Blue LED fans, 2 x Cougar CFD 140mm Blue LED fans

Pumps - Dual DDC Pumps with dual pump top

Reservoir - Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 150 Full Acrylic

Fittings - Various Bitspower Enhance Black Sparkle Fittings

Tubing - EK 12mm Hardline / Rigid Tubing

CPU/MB Block - EK-FB MSI Z97I-Gaming Nickel Plexi

GPU Block - EK-FC R9-290 Nickel Plexi

RAM Block - EK-RAM Monarch X2 Nickel Plexi, EK-RAM Monarch Modules

Hope I didn't miss anything. I'm willing to give the little Pentium a try, also saves me some money. If I'm not happy I will get Broadwell when it comes out, hopefully it stays on Z97. Also 256GB SSD should be enough for OS and about 5 or 6 games, don't really play that many at the same time :). Let me know what you guys think

Woohoo calm down with the awesome parts but why only 8gb of ram and not 16?

8gb is more than enough for gaming. also I would go with a cheaper motherboard and get a better CPU is you are on a budget. I don't think Dual Core CPU's have much time left in gaming

current build and total cost   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/150083-thrift-shop-build/

I apologize for my crappy English I'm American

The Intel Pentium K performces very good, even @ gaming. I'm buying it as well, just to clock the hell out of it and later replace it with a Broadwell CPU.

I would prefer if you are doing a review on the MSI z97i gaming (don't know if I should get it or the Asus Impact)  ;)

The default Bitfenix badge needs to be replaced by a BoS logo.

Otherwise, I have a serious Fallout hard on at the moment. I love this case mod.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

The Intel Pentium K performces very good, even @ gaming. I'm buying it as well, just to clock the hell out of it and later replace it with a Broadwell CPU.

I would prefer if you are doing a review on the MSI z97i gaming (don't know if I should get it or the Asus Impact)  ;)

I'm doing the same, it should be fun to oc.

Pentium G3258 @ 4.2GHz | Asus R9 290 | MSI Z97s SLI Plus | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1600MHZ | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | 250GB 840 Evo |Evga Supernova 750W | Win 7 Home Premium | Corsair Obsidian 800D |

i5-2450M @ 2.50 GHz | 8GB RAM | 500GB 5400rpm HDD | Nvidia gt630m | Win 8.1 Pro |

Otherwise, I have a serious Fallout hard on at the moment. I love this case mod.

Make that a Vault Tec Logo

8gb is more than enough for gaming. also I would go with a cheaper motherboard and get a better CPU is you are on a budget. I don't think Dual Core CPU's have much time left in gaming

Thanks for agreeing about the 8gb ram. It's not that I'm on a budget really as you can tell by the other components ... The reason I'm getting the Pentium K as some people like to call it (TTL) is because I just wanna see how it performs and to just overclock the hell out of it. Also I'm getting the MSI board over others because of the EK full cover water block that will be coming out for it as well as most of the other Z97 itx boards have the ugly green wifi module which you'll then need to run the antenna cables to the rear io. The MSI gaming board has it nicely integrated into the rear io already. Plus the other board I was looking at is the ASUS one which is like $190AUD here, the MSI is $250 but I found it on ebay brand new from the UK for $200AUD with free shipping. That's what I'll be getting next, everything else is already on its way, hopefully arriving tomorrow. :)

Yup I'm thinking the same thing, can't wait to see how it overclocks and performs. Yea sounds good, I'll do a review of the MSI board, though don't know how good it will be as it will be my first :). The ASUS impact will probably be good too tho, depending on your color scheme, with the MSI oncei I get the EK full cover waterblock on, it will pretty much be black which works out great for me :D

Thanks. Yea the BoS logo does look pretty cool

I'm doing the same, it should be fun to oc.

Yup :D

Make that a Vault Tec Logo

Come to think of it mate this isn't a bad idea. I'm gonna look into how I can do this. I think it would look pretty good. The bitfenix logo is back up now but I can always just take it off again :)

SIMPLE MODZ

This morning I woke up with this from @Rumikarimu ... amazing! Thanks :D

Introducing the Vault Boy banner:

post-20077-0-41334500-1406085799_thumb.p

If any of you are looking for a banner or avatar, make sure to hit up the banner shop !!!

What do you guys think of it ? :)

SIMPLE MODZ

Thanks for agreeing about the 8gb ram. It's not that I'm on a budget really as you can tell by the other components ... The reason I'm getting the Pentium K as some people like to call it (TTL) is because I just wanna see how it performs and to just overclock the hell out of it. Also I'm getting the MSI board over others because of the EK full cover water block that will be coming out for it as well as most of the other Z97 itx boards have the ugly green wifi module which you'll then need to run the antenna cables to the rear io. The MSI gaming board has it nicely integrated into the rear io already. Plus the other board I was looking at is the ASUS one which is like $190AUD here, the MSI is $250 but I found it on ebay brand new from the UK for $200AUD with free shipping. That's what I'll be getting next, everything else is already on its way, hopefully arriving tomorrow. :)

Yup I'm thinking the same thing, can't wait to see how it overclocks and performs. Yea sounds good, I'll do a review of the MSI board, though don't know how good it will be as it will be my first :). The ASUS impact will probably be good too tho, depending on your color scheme, with the MSI oncei I get the EK full cover waterblock on, it will pretty much be black which works out great for me :D

Thanks. Yea the BoS logo does look pretty cool

Yup :D

Come to think of it mate this isn't a bad idea. I'm gonna look into how I can do this. I think it would look pretty good. The bitfenix logo is back up now but I can always just take it off again :)

if you want my opinion for a vault tec logo, just make sure you do stainless or some other kind of heavy steel, don't do sheet metal, and definitely don't do aluminum (which contrary to popular belief, is inferior to steel pound for pound [i took a year and a half of welding, which included some metalurgical study]).

IF you wanted to go balls to the wall badass, tungsten. although it would be expensive as f**k, but would be awesome since it's about the toughest metal most people can get their hands on (besides titanium, although if I remember correctly tungsten has the highest melting point of all natural metals). Most importantly, as nice as the case looks, make damn sure that vault tec logo looks like it has been through a nuclear explosion, some scratching, and overheating with a torch to give that metal that nice multicolor look, etc.

OOH, I don't know if it would be possible, but tritium or something, that glows on it's own would look awsome as well (but it is slightly radioactive and I don't know if it comes in sheets)

I am a bit drunk right now, and I am a bit crazy when it comes to doing things custom (I wish I had money to do even half of what I would do with a custom pc and a like, $20,000 budget, and I would go that far lol)

if you want my opinion for a vault tec logo, just make sure you do stainless or some other kind of heavy steel, don't do sheet metal, and definitely don't do aluminum (which contrary to popular belief, is inferior to steel pound for pound [i took a year and a half of welding, which included some metalurgical study]).

IF you wanted to go balls to the wall badass, tungsten. although it would be expensive as f**k, but would be awesome since it's about the toughest metal most people can get their hands on (besides titanium, although if I remember correctly tungsten has the highest melting point of all natural metals). Most importantly, as nice as the case looks, make damn sure that vault tec logo looks like it has been through a nuclear explosion, some scratching, and overheating with a torch to give that metal that nice multicolor look, etc.

OOH, I don't know if it would be possible, but tritium or something, that glows on it's own would look awsome as well (but it is slightly radioactive and I don't know if it comes in sheets)

I am a bit drunk right now, and I am a bit crazy when it comes to doing things custom (I wish I had money to do even half of what I would do with a custom pc and a like, $20,000 budget, and I would go that far lol)

Hahaha all good mate. I'm gonna go to some local businesses around my area and see what I can find, I don't know much about metal, I'd say to get something that's like 3 or 4mm thick so that it sticks out nicely but not too much and yea gonna try and make it look like it's been through hell. Might be sometime next week tho, will do some research in the mean time. Anyways thanks for the idea :D

SIMPLE MODZ

Hahaha all good mate. I'm gonna go to some local businesses around my area and see what I can find, I don't know much about metal, I'd say to get something that's like 3 or 4mm thick so that it sticks out nicely but not too much and yea gonna try and make it look like it's been through hell. Might be sometime next week tho, will do some research in the mean time. Anyways thanks for the idea :D

No problem.

I don't know metric, but if 3 or 4mm is anything near 1/4th of an inch to 3/8ths I'd so go for it. Just don't do aluminum, it doesn't look as good, and I've always maintained that it's a pussy metal. Lol it sounds weird but I'm a fan of steel.

God I'm drunk

Edit: Plus I'm watching the full fight of Gohan VS cell on youtube in another window, so kinda distracted lol

Build log thread is up, you can follow here if you want. However as I said, I will keep posting in this thread as well for the people already following :)

Some new shots too and as you can see, the PSU is in as well, forgot that was in there haha, as I received it on Monday and chucked it straight in to see how it looks, only 140mm deep so plenty of room on the inside for the modular cables.

post-20077-0-67643800-1406091465_thumb.j

post-20077-0-69009700-1406091508_thumb.j

post-20077-0-59156600-1406091536_thumb.j

post-20077-0-32124500-1406091566_thumb.j

post-20077-0-04108700-1406091599_thumb.j

post-20077-0-40837400-1406091626_thumb.j

post-20077-0-51599900-1406091654_thumb.j

post-20077-0-99064700-1406091684_thumb.j

post-20077-0-82263100-1406091713_thumb.j

Also what causes "Upload Skipped (Error500)" there is just no way it wants to upload one of the pics, oh well ...

SIMPLE MODZ

purty....

Build log thread is up, you can follow here if you want. However as I said, I will keep posting in this thread as well for the people already following :)

Some new shots too and as you can see, the PSU is in as well, forgot that was in there haha, as I received it on Monday and chucked it straight in to see how it looks, only 140mm deep so plenty of room on the inside for the modular cables.

attachicon.gifDSC_0590.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0592.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0593.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0594.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0595.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0596.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0597.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0598.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0599.JPG

Also what causes "Upload Skipped (Error500)" there is just no way it wants to upload one of the pics, oh well ...

I got that issue and I opened the picture with MS paint and resized it and it uploaded just fine

current build and total cost   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/150083-thrift-shop-build/

I apologize for my crappy English I'm American

I got that issue and I opened the picture with MS paint and resized it and it uploaded just fine

Yea I usually do that as well but this time no matter how many times I resized it or cropped it, renamed it lol and it still didn't wanna upload. I was just wondering if anyone knew what was causing the error?

SIMPLE MODZ