LoL VS. DotA 2?

JoshK

And then everyone complained when they tried to make it look like Dota. I find the GUI a little too minimalist, and too small. Everything in Dota is bigger, which I think makes everything easier to manage.

One thing no one has mentioned. Dota natively supports in-game Voice chat. What do you guys think of that one?

Lol (laugh), I thought any real game would have in-game voic chat... doesn't lol(laugh) have that?

What a joke... it's so useful for mobas...

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

What a joke... it's so useful for mobas...

Except the communities are toxic as hell. And I play in Australia. If I got a new item everytime someone called someone else a c***..... I'd have a lot of items

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

Except the communities are toxic as hell. And I play in Australia. If I got a new item everytime someone called someone else a c***..... I'd have a lot of items

Oh boy, you're lucky you can play on Australia. You don't want to know how South American server is... sometimes people say LoL community sucks but DotA2's also does. I'm usually muting 1 to 3 people in my team EVERY GAME. Doesn't matter if we're losing or winning, if I'm playing well or not - people just love to hate, swear, teach others how to play, etc. It's tough. But, when used properly, it's useful ha!

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

And then everyone complained when they tried to make it look like Dota. I find the GUI a little too minimalist, and too small. Everything in Dota is bigger, which I think makes everything easier to manage.

One thing no one has mentioned. Dota natively supports in-game Voice chat. What do you guys think of that one?

Also linux support +1 to dota

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

• 2 weeks later...

there is no comparison... league is so much easier. Which is not bad, but it will never never be a better competitive game. Sure you can play it casual with friends but dont fool yourself. The game has no chance to be a serious competitive opponent for dota

That is just so ignorant lol. I played originally Dota from a young age, and switched to the copy HoN years ago and played competitively, I'm very familiar with Dota 2's mechanics and the way it works. I switched to league in early season 3 and have put up around 1500 games in that now and have gotten up to plat v and follow the esports scenes of both very closely. Saying league will never compete is absolutely rediculous, and saying it won't be a serious competitive opponent is even more of a joke considering it already is it's biggest opponent. Dota has more depth but that does not make league "too easy" both scenes have pros that have put in immense time into playing and no one has completely mastered either game. There is always room to grow in both and the best can always be better, saying it's not as competitive makes no sense. People are always improving and people always will, thus the skill ceiling isn't much different. League may be easier to start out playing, but it is as difficult to master and become the best as any other game. If you don't believe me try becoming the best in the world yourself. Both games are very good and have their own strengths, but saying league will never be competitive is just the most ignorant thing I've ever read.

That is just so ignorant lol. I played originally Dota from a young age, and switched to the copy HoN years ago and played competitively, I'm very familiar with Dota 2's mechanics and the way it works. I switched to league in early season 3 and have put up around 1500 games in that now and have gotten up to plat v and follow the esports scenes of both very closely. Saying league will never compete is absolutely rediculous, and saying it won't be a serious competitive opponent is even more of a joke considering it already is it's biggest opponent. Dota has more depth but that does not make league "too easy" both scenes have pros that have put in immense time into playing and no one has completely mastered either game. There is always room to grow in both and the best can always be better, saying it's not as competitive makes no sense. People are always improving and people always will, thus the skill ceiling isn't much different. League may be easier to start out playing, but it is as difficult to master and become the best as any other game. If you don't believe me try becoming the best in the world yourself. Both games are very good and have their own strengths, but saying league will never be competitive is just the most ignorant thing I've ever read.

Ive played league, and there are several reasons why it will never be as competitive as dota. Im going to name just a few of them because i dont want to drag this too long.

1- The map size and the lack of TP makes the game extremely static. This is funny because usually League players say dota is just farm farm farm for 40 mins. That is true in some games, but for the most part early game is extremely important and every play you make counts. Comebacks are extremely difficult because of the snowball effect (if u die, lose gold+time death, while your enemy gains gold, + kill your towers+ farm). So if you started losing a teamfight, the next one is even harder, and by the third fight is GG time. This can happen in less than 20' on the best teams. Thats why the use of TP on fortification makes the early game incredible dynamic.

Lets compare this to league. For the most part, league has a very static meta in the early game, 1 top, 1 mid, 1 jungle, 2 bot, with mirror on the opposite. There are a couple of reasons for this. First, the camera is incredible far, this combined with the lack of mobility (4 mins cd on flash the last time ive played), makes early ganks extremely difficult to pull off. Not only that, but if you are in trouble, no teammate can come and help because the are not TPS. On top of that, since they dont lose gold, and towers deal a lot of damage, there is very little incentive to do something in the early game other than farm. Also, the term "map control" doesnt really exist in league, because of the small map size, and lack of mobility items and skills

2- Because of this static meta, every hero has a place in league. You are not going to see crazy things, like roll swap, 4 man pushes, etc. There is little to do in terms on creativity and strategy. Lets make a scale, and order characters from 1 to 10 (10 would be OP, 1 underpowered). League champions are around 3-4 depending on which one we are talking. and they are played in a determined way, there is not a lot of choice here. You can go to the official forum and find tons of threads where a guy is banned for "random in a rank game", why is that? well again, because the meta is incredible static, and no space for innovation. While in dota, you can go mid with LOTS of different heroes and have impact on the game, heroes can have lots of different rolls (alch, mirana.. etc) And because heroes in dota are between 7-9 in terms of power, you can pull of some crazy things, switching rolls, different items, different play style. ETC

3- Item choice... well do i have to say anything? in most item have an active effect, in league no. In league you stack up mana and HP, maybe AP or damage, in dota you can buy a instant stun with 900 range for 3.5seg. There is nothing even remotely like that in league. I dont want to talk much here, but the variety of items, makes every game a situational buy. As much as hex is the best item in the game, sometimes you need other things.

4- There are more reasons, but this would never end if i have to name and analyze all of them

How sad is the first and second and third.. what is the skill there? what was so incredible about it? And just look how imbalanced the champ becomes when it has a little bit more mobility than others (kha in this case). And the first one... some puppy rat play here. If you want to see the true rats you can just search, "alliance rat doto".

1:40 min, the link didnt pasted well i don think..

Do you really think there is any champ in league that needs that kind of micro? at the end of the day the more complex and skill capped game will always be the better competitive game. Its a fact, try to be objective and a little bit less fanboy. I recognize league is a good game, but in terms of competitiveness is light years away from dota.

League is like checkers, and dota is like chess. Like ive said, not a bad game, but not in the same category when we talk of a competitive game

League is like checkers, and dota is like chess. 

Best analogy ever for Dota vs LoL

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

League is like checkers, and dota is like chess.

Amen to that.

Eh, it's like comparing apples and oranges. Both are different and competitive in their own ways.

The only way it's similar is that it HAD the same core gameplay, they have different focuses and game design ideology. Honestly, if you compare these two games, you could probably add Smite there too. It has the same core gameplay but has the dynamics of putting it into a third person perspective. 

Personally though, DotA is my jam (Maybe because I've put a  bunch of hours into it).

• 4 weeks later...

Pokemon > League 

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

Ive played league, and there are several reasons why it will never be as competitive as dota. Im going to name just a few of them because i dont want to drag this too long.

1- The map size and the lack of TP makes the game extremely static. This is funny because usually League players say dota is just farm farm farm for 40 mins. That is true in some games, but for the most part early game is extremely important and every play you make counts. Comebacks are extremely difficult because of the snowball effect (if u die, lose gold+time death, while your enemy gains gold, + kill your towers+ farm). So if you started losing a teamfight, the next one is even harder, and by the third fight is GG time. This can happen in less than 20' on the best teams. Thats why the use of TP on fortification makes the early game incredible dynamic.

Lets compare this to league. For the most part, league has a very static meta in the early game, 1 top, 1 mid, 1 jungle, 2 bot, with mirror on the opposite. There are a couple of reasons for this. First, the camera is incredible far, this combined with the lack of mobility (4 mins cd on flash the last time ive played), makes early ganks extremely difficult to pull off. Not only that, but if you are in trouble, no teammate can come and help because the are not TPS. On top of that, since they dont lose gold, and towers deal a lot of damage, there is very little incentive to do something in the early game other than farm. Also, the term "map control" doesnt really exist in league, because of the small map size, and lack of mobility items and skills

2- Because of this static meta, every hero has a place in league. You are not going to see crazy things, like roll swap, 4 man pushes, etc. There is little to do in terms on creativity and strategy. Lets make a scale, and order characters from 1 to 10 (10 would be OP, 1 underpowered). League champions are around 3-4 depending on which one we are talking. and they are played in a determined way, there is not a lot of choice here. You can go to the official forum and find tons of threads where a guy is banned for "random in a rank game", why is that? well again, because the meta is incredible static, and no space for innovation. While in dota, you can go mid with LOTS of different heroes and have impact on the game, heroes can have lots of different rolls (alch, mirana.. etc) And because heroes in dota are between 7-9 in terms of power, you can pull of some crazy things, switching rolls, different items, different play style. ETC

3- Item choice... well do i have to say anything? in most item have an active effect, in league no. In league you stack up mana and HP, maybe AP or damage, in dota you can buy a instant stun with 900 range for 3.5seg. There is nothing even remotely like that in league. I dont want to talk much here, but the variety of items, makes every game a situational buy. As much as hex is the best item in the game, sometimes you need other things.

4- There are more reasons, but this would never end if i have to name and analyze all of them

How sad is the first and second and third.. what is the skill there? what was so incredible about it? And just look how imbalanced the champ becomes when it has a little bit more mobility than others (kha in this case). And the first one... some puppy rat play here. If you want to see the true rats you can just search, "alliance rat doto".

1:40 min, the link didnt pasted well i don think..

Do you really think there is any champ in league that needs that kind of micro? at the end of the day the more complex and skill capped game will always be the better competitive game. Its a fact, try to be objective and a little bit less fanboy. I recognize league is a good game, but in terms of competitiveness is light years away from dota.

League is like checkers, and dota is like chess. Like ive said, not a bad game, but not in the same category when we talk of a competitive game

i don't think you ever played league, maybe 50 hours or so. But nearly all of your statements are only half true or not true at all. I don't want to break them down, but saying map control isn't there is just a ludacris statement that isn't true at all. I could say the same from my first 100 hours of dota 1 back in the days. Nobody bought wards, but the higher you went in ranked, the more important is map control. Also skillshots are much harder to land in league of legends because champion turn instantly and you can easily avoid more than half of them. Early game is also important in lol and a very small mistake can often snowball the whole game. Also there are a lot of crazy strategies and i can continue to break down the list, but that would be pointless.

Yes i agree that dota is the harder game to start with, but to get good at they are at the same level in terms of difficulty. They just require a different kind of skill. Where in Dota mechanical skill is way more important, in league decision making is. You see league games, where one team has over 10k gold lead, but is 2 kills down, just because they forced objectives so well, you won't see that in dota for example. BTW noone gets banned because they played a non-meta champ but a lot flame when they do so ( noob enemy even loses against this champ in that role) .... i play zyra jungle in ranked a lot (120 games this season 62% winratio) and there was not even a warning that a ban is incoming ( you get a warning when you are too often reported)

I also enjoy dota more than league , but please stop spreading bullshit on forums. Just say that you got hardly any experience in league and that you generally find dota better, but post legit reasons, but not some half-truths or wrong reasons at all. 

-snip-

-snip-

-snip-

-snip-

I don't believe you guys are criticizing the games properly.

First off, let me give a background of my MOBA history before I start talking about this genre.

I've played DOTA, DOTA All-Stars, HON, LoL, and DOTA 2.

I switched to these games in this order after I saw a decline in players.

I played LoL the most when it first came out in closed beta with the main developers of the original DOTA All-Stars, Steve Guinsoo Feak and Pendragon, working on LoL as a new platform for the genre. They moved away from the original DOTA platform on W3 because of its limitation.

I've tried and still play DOTA 2 for an extensive amount from when it first came out till now.

I'm highly ranked in both LoL and DOTA 2 ladder system.

To juxtapose DOTA 2 and LoL on a skill based aspect is completely wrong.

More mechanics in the game does not make the game harder to master. Its like comparing the raw mechanical skills required in CS 1.6 vs Battlefield (multiplayer); CS 1.6 has less mechanics in the game (compared to BF) but requires much more mechanical skill. The more mechanics introduced in the game does not mean it is harder in any shape or form. I can make the same notion with Starcraft Broodwar vs Warcraft 3. Warcraft 3 has more mechanics to it with level of heroes and items on the heros. This does not make the game harder.

Yes, I will agree that DOTA 2 has a higher learning curve. However, it is not harder to master. You cannot generalize your own personal subjective learning curve and push that idea onto others. Others will learn faster in some games compared to others.

Secondly, both games are great MOBA genres. I dislike any hatred between these two games because they are powered and created from the co-founders and founders of DOTA on Warcraft 3.

Simplcity does not suggest less skill required.

Play the good'ol flappy bird on the iphone and that should just prove everything I've said.

First off, let me give a background of my MOBA history before I start talking about this genre.

I played LoL the most when it first came out in closed beta with the main developers of the original DOTA All-Stars, Steve Guinsoo Feak and Pendragon, worked on LoL as a new platform for the genre. They moved away from the original DOTA platform on W3 because of its limitation.

I've tried and still played DOTA 2 for an extensive amount from when it first came out till now.

More mechanics in the game does not make the game harder to master. Its like comparing the raw mechanical skills required in CS 1.6 vs Battlefield (multiplayer); CS 1.6 has less mechanics in the game than BF but requires much more mechanical skill. The more mechanics introduced in the game does not mean it is harder in any shape or form. I can make the same notion with Starcraft Broodwar vs Warcraft 3. Warcraft 3 has more mechanics to it with level of heroes and items on the heros. This does not make the game harder.

Yes, I will agree that DOTA 2 has a higher learning curve. However, it is not harder to master. You cannot generalize your own personal subjective learning curve and push that idea onto others. Others will learn faster in some games compared to others.

Secondly, both games are great MOBA genres. I dislike any hatred between these two games because they were powered and created from the co-founders and founders of DOTA on Warcraft 3.

Play the good'ol flappy bird on the iphone and that should just prove everything I've said.

i exactly said that it is the same level in terms of master, that you just need different skills..... and i said i like both, but that it was just my humble opinion that i like dota 2 better (probably cause i played dota 1 a lot and played in the WC III eps)

In 2014, this is still a debate? Just play whatever game you want... 

Silence, you useless techie.  :lol:

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

Smite is the "new" thing!!

Dota2 is harder then LoL

Dota2 = less noobs

I'm a noob so I play LoL!!!

Dota2 is harder then LoL

Dota2 = less noobs

Erm, HotS is the newest. 

Blizzard should already have a similar game going since DotA on warcraft was popular. 

Dota2 is harder then LoL

Dota2 = less noobs

I played LoL the most when it first came out in closed beta with the main developers of the original DOTA All-Stars, Steve Guinsoo Feak and Pendragon, working on LoL as a new platform for the genre. They moved away from the original DOTA platform on W3 because of its limitation.

I've tried and still play DOTA 2 for an extensive amount from when it first came out till now.

More mechanics in the game does not make the game harder to master. Its like comparing the raw mechanical skills required in CS 1.6 vs Battlefield (multiplayer); CS 1.6 has less mechanics in the game (compared to BF) but requires much more mechanical skill. The more mechanics introduced in the game does not mean it is harder in any shape or form. I can make the same notion with Starcraft Broodwar vs Warcraft 3. Warcraft 3 has more mechanics to it with level of heroes and items on the heros. This does not make the game harder.

Secondly, both games are great MOBA genres. I dislike any hatred between these two games because they are powered and created from the co-founders and founders of DOTA on Warcraft 3.

the league community, especially when you first start up, often feels really, really toxic

having played at most levels, i'd have to say that it's most fun with your friends

at least having half the players in the gaming being reliably good mannered (hopefully) is better than nothing

then again, I do occasionally get extremely well mannered opponents in my games

more often than not, nobody says anything much, and a small percentage of my games have extremely toxic players/feeders/leavers in them who just make the game unbearable

for some reason, these toxic players appear to be more abundant in silver and mid-platinum ranked ratings

"lolwatrudoin"

"i do what i want"

In response to that earthshaker video, sorry if someone already responded to this but I came up against it while playing earthspirit. Like 50 creeps arrived at the tower in one go. Easily countered by just ulting with an aoe ability I. This case my ult. Ez farm.

I prefer LoL, but just a preference, it does take up more storage space than Dota 2 though. Fairly sure LoL is about 30GB, Dota 2 is about 9GB.

Imo they are basically the same game, just different textures, sounds and attacks. 

Edit: Oh I just remembered that Dota 2 has like a 3rd person view thing which I do like. 

They are not the same. Trust me. I have 2300 hours on Dota, and if you look at the mechanics and stuff they are VERY different games. 

There's hate between BF and CoD, different MMOs, different Survival games, etc. Why not MOBAs too?

Anyway, I think both are good games (I mean, Guinsoo works at LoL, right?) but they have different audiences. I think LoL is for younger people but I could be wrong, I don't know the numbers for that '-'