PSU for my new build?

Tazman192

Hey guys, hoping to get some advice here. Here's my current build: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/ftahir192/saved/

I've currently got an EVGA Gold 2 850W power supply in the build - but I've picked that randomly out of 3 choices. These are:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20850xr - EVGA Gold 2 850W

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1750bbefx - XFX Pro Series 750W Gold

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-ss850am2 - Seasonic Evo Edition 850W Bronze

I want a PSU that will last hopefully another build (EVGA one comes with 10 years warranty). I'm not SLiing currently, but I may do in my next build. Would the 750W EVGA alternative suffice for an Sli (can save £15), or should I go for another PSU? I believe all 3 listed are tier 1 PSU's.

I will be overclocking my system most likely.

Another question is regarding the case. I wanted the phantom 530 but it's simply too large. I'm not keen on the 410 THAT much (I wanted a case that supported 200mm fans and watercooling in the future). Anything that comes to mind? I will be connecting a fair few fans to my case.

Thanks.

"The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be."

CPU: Intel i5 4690K - Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP - 2x4GB @ 1866Mhz - GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 4GB - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD- Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed (with Red AKASA Led Strips) - Display: Benq GL2460HM 24" Monitor

If you plan to sli, a decent 750w is already plenty.  The 750 G2 is excellent.

If you plan to deck out the system with watercooling, go ahead and get the Phantom 530. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you plan to sli, a decent 750w is already plenty.  The 750 G2 is excellent.

If you plan to deck out the system with watercooling, go ahead and get the Phantom 530. 

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to be aircooling for my first build (I have no experience with watercooling), however I believe cases and PSU's are components that can last a fair few builds (new technology doesn't develop like them that fast, unlike a gfx card or a mobo - I may be talking trash here). So I'd like a case that can support watercooling for my next build in a few years time, hopefully using the same case. It isn't that much of an issue, I can always get a new case when the time comes, but the option to know I can watercool my case even if I start to dislike air cooling and learn more about watercooling is great.

The 530 is simply too big to place anywhere in my room without getting in the way or looing silly.

Edit: Some people on other forums e.g. TomsHW swear by 850W and say a 750W won't be good enough for an SLi - is this bs? I've used wattage calculators and 750W did seem adequate for me.

CPU: Intel i5 4690K - Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP - 2x4GB @ 1866Mhz - GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 4GB - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD- Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed (with Red AKASA Led Strips) - Display: Benq GL2460HM 24" Monitor

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to be aircooling for my first build (I have no experience with watercooling), however I believe cases and PSU's are components that can last a fair few builds (new technology doesn't develop like them that fast, unlike a gfx card or a mobo - I may be talking trash here). So I'd like a case that can support watercooling for my next build in a few years time, hopefully using the same case. It isn't that much of an issue, I can always get a new case when the time comes, but the option to know I can watercool my case even if I start to dislike air cooling and learn more about watercooling is great.

The 530 is simply too big to place anywhere in my room without getting in the way or looing silly.

If yo haven't already, check out the H440 and Arc Midi R2.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Edit: Some people on other forums e.g. TomsHW swear by 850W and say a 750W won't be good enough for an SLi - is this bs? I've used wattage calculators and 750W did seem adequate for me.

The 530 is only marginally larger than the 410?

If yo haven't already, check out the H440 and Arc Midi R2.

I'm not sure what it is about fractal cases, I just don't like the aesthetics. I'll have a look at the H440, but I'm not sure if I want to give up ODD's as I was thinking of getting a fan controller too.

The 530 is only marginally larger than the 410?

It seemed quite a bit larger when I was measuring the space on my desk. I may have derped the width and depth, as the NZXT website doesn't state which measurement is the width and which is the depth.

I'm not sure what it is about fractal cases, I just don't like the aesthetics. I'll have a look at the H440, but I'm not sure if I want to give up ODD's as I was thinking of getting a fan controller too.

It seemed quite a bit larger when I was measuring the space on my desk. I may have derped the width and depth, as the NZXT website doesn't state which measurement is the width and which is the depth.

The Phantom 530 has pretty much the same frame as the Source 530 below:

6b2fc1565c6325b74583994e32ce6138.png

The Phantom 530 has pretty much the same frame as the Source 530 below:

6b2fc1565c6325b74583994e32ce6138.png

The website states it's a bit larger. http://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/134-phantom-530.html

It's the depth that worries me as I don't want the case overhanging.

The website states it's a bit larger. http://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/134-phantom-530.html
It's the depth that worries me as I don't want the case overhanging.

It is larger. It has the same frame and the plastic is on top that that frame. 

It is larger. It has the same frame and the plastic is on top that that frame.

Ah, misunderstood what you said first time, sorry. The thing I liked about the 530 was also the fan hub making cable management for fans clean. They sell the fan hub separately - called the Nzxt grid but not sure how it completely works. I'm not sure how I'll be connecting the fans. I have only 4 headers on my mobo, are splitters still safe to use?

Ah, misunderstood what you said first time, sorry. The thing I liked about the 530 was also the fan hub making cable management for fans clean. They sell the fan hub separately - called the Nzxt grid but not sure how it completely works. I'm not sure how I'll be connecting the fans. I have only 4 headers on my mobo, are splitters still safe to use?

Connect them however you'd like. Splitters are safe to use. 

Connect them however you'd like. Splitters are safe to use.

Okay. Thanks alot for the help. Much appreciated. Time to find a good looking case.