Will laptops eventually replace desktops?

DarkEnergy

Guys, the keyword is eventually. Yes laptops will eventually replace desktops. Whether this takes 20 years, 100 years, 500 years. It's just a matter of putting more and more power into smaller and smaller form factors.

I disagree with the survey, I think that laptops will die and be replaced by tablets, while desktops will still be used by power users.

this

desktops are perfect for us enthusiats who want to mess and offices who want save on manatnace bills. laptops are so much more hard work to fix

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

No. Different people have different needs and preferences. There will always be a place for desktops, laptops, etc. There is no "one way" that will be suitable for everyone. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Not until workstation level notebooks stop being overpriced vs a desktop with equal power. Could be worse, at least notebooks retailing over the 2 grand mark have some beefy specs. Well, on the Windows side. Can't say the same for Apple with charging 2 grand for a bloody 750m.

I grew up around laptops because my techie dad forced them on me and never let me build a rig...BUT SOMEDAY I WILL BUILD ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In other words, I want a desktop and people call me crazy for that.

laptops are already yesterdays tech.  The time where it was a question if laptops would replace desktops ended about 5 years ago.  

Everything is going smaller so here is what will replace desktops.... your phone.  

As phones get more and more powerful you are going to see them more and more useful for general productivity and office use processor wise.  When we reach that break even point where they can do this you will see the general public (not gamers or enthusiasts like us) have their entire productivity and entertainment package in their phone.  When at home (or at work for certain people though not most) you will either plug it into a dock or most likely simply place it on a wireless charger that also interfaces it with a kb mouse and full size monitor.  

We may even see things to the point that you place it on that dock or wireless charger type device and it links it to say a high end graphics card and more storage and vuala now you can even do high end gaming technically from your phone (kinda).  

This is the future.  I will bet your house on it.  

Oh and this is not 20 years away.  This is going to happen by 2020 MAYBE 2025 on the outside.  

For the general population, it is possible. You can get slightly less performance out of something that is more portable. However, for people that know things about computers, they will appreciate laptops, but they will ultimately get a desktop. Unless something new and innovative comes out, Desktops aren't going away its all about price to performance and customization 

To some degree they already have, people who aren't that bothered about computers and don't do a huge amount on them are already going for tablets and laptops.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Can you specify how long in the future? At some point we will have ultrabooks that run games at high enough resolutions and at high enough quality that we couldn't tell it apart from real life, but that is a long time away

i7 2600 | HD 6870 | 8GB Memory | 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 500W PSU | Fractal Define R4

I have a lot of upgrade plans, and no money  :)

Eventually everything will become smaller, like desktops to laptops to tablets to smartphones. Therefore, even the biggest and powerheavy parts will become more compact, like the GPU. So yes, the power of laptops will catch up to the convenience.

No never i think that laptops are going to be replaced by tablets

CPU: Intel core i7-4770 --- CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 --- GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 970 Strix --- MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D --- PSU: Corsair AX860i --- SSD: Seagate 120GB --- HDD: Seagate 2TB + Toshiba 1TB --- ODD: Asus External DVD-R

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate --- Mouse: Logitech G602 --- Mousepad: Corsair Vengeance MM600 --- Monitor: LG 29UM65

Probably, but in a while. It will be when an ultrabook can render and hour of 8k video in a few seconds. Price or technology will need to be completely different for that to happen.(Probably in over 20 years)

I see a few of you saying gaming laptops are getting more powerful and all that jazz. That's all fine and dandy except for one thing: I don't want or need a gaming laptop! Some people do and some people don't. They are far too expensive (for me anyways) and I can't build from scratch with hand-picked components. 

And I know I'm not the only one who prefers it this way. 

What I do see is a shift to physically smaller components. There's a been an explosion in the popularity of mini-ITX machines and now with many of those cases being designed and built specifically with gaming in mind (lots of air flow and can swallow a full-sized GPU) people a

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

"The future" can be anything, but as long as laptops cannot contain the same hardware as desktops due to heat output and power requirements, desktops will continue to exist. In other words, as long as the desktop can do something the laptop cannot, it will not go away.

Not till I can slap a 850 watt psu dual discrete gpus and a full custome loop. Oh and a cup holder my last pc had a thermal take cupholder with cigarette lighter that never got used cuz I dont smoke.

i think laptops will be extinct and will be replaced more of a light weight tablet even glass as in see through tablets are going to be made to replace foldacle laptops that give of such heat.

5933_iron_5.jpg

Details separate people.

I think there will always people who need more power, so desktops will always exist.

But you never know....

Song Of The Day: Nujabes - Battlecry

What you have to realise is, as small and powerful as tech can get. You can always make bigger things more powerful. The same goes for cars, laptops, phones. Anything tech related. Bigger things will always be more powerful, you can fit more in.

For general users current laptops are way in excess of what they need to do. but for enthusiasts even big desktops are nowhere near where they need to be let alone laptops.

More and more people will get smaller and smaller gadgets but everytime more performance is required for next generation stuff, the boxes will get bigger again until we find a way to shrink it, and then more powerful stuff comes around and the whole cycle continues

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Laptop have already replaced Desktops for the average user, but for power users and gamers desktops still prevail

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Laptop: ASUS N56VJ

For general home use its already happened.  In offices its already happened most employees will have a laptop and a docking station. 

Desktop is there for gamers and some jobs that require more computational power.

I don't think laptops will replace desktops. Sure desktops aren't as commonplace in homes as they used to be because laptops are more appealing to the users who want to sit on the couch with the laptop and watch tv (my dad), but desktops still have their place.

"You can try to play chess with a pigeon. But even if you win, it'll shit on the board and strut around."

Desktops will remain forever.  People who are on the go all of time will of course always have a laptop, but many of them will also still have a desktop/workstation at their home/office.  I'm not speaking of gamers but more of business professionals.  I think gamers will always prefer the advantages of having the dollar/performance they can get from a desktop.  Laptops will continue to get more powerful and portable, but desktops will always be ahead of laptops in terms of performance.

Portable devices (laptops/phones/etc) will continue to evolve but I think they will ultimately rely on a desktop/workstation/server (ie cloud) for storage and calculations/processing (not on the device)... ie the device will act as a thin client but the power stuff happening on a workstations/dekstop server.

I say to a certain degree yes, just look at the Asus G750.

That's just a fucking fat laptop, no wonder it can have "power".

Better off with a mATX desktop.