Will laptops eventually replace desktops?

DarkEnergy

I'm only saying this because as of right now, a big reason people still buy desktops (In my opinion; correct me if i'm wrong) is due to their performance to price availability and ratio. You can get a cheaper and more powerful desktop than most laptops. Perhaps another reason some people get desktops are because you can get really cool cases and hook up nice peripherals. Still, if technology improves with performances of laptops, mobility and size of a laptop might win. You can also get some pretty cool looking laptops. Does this seem possible or am I way off?

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

Erm no, my POS can barely run YT without a BSOD.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

For general uses, yes. For power users like Linus who edits video all day long, no. This is because of the precision required in the works and it is much more comfortable to do so on desktop than laptop. As for gaming, not much will change.

Desktops are good for having in an office as well as at home. They are more durable and stable as well as better price to performance. Laptops have a lot of pros to themselves as well, lots of people choose to only go with laptops but they seem strange to use in an office or home environment as their only benefit over desktops is portability. Other than that it will come down to how many tech enthusiasts continue building PC's. PC's have become more profitable than consoles so with that kind of popularity they aren't going anywhere.

High-end laptops are disgustingly expensive, so I'd say no.

But it is entirely possible to have mobile-grade components to perform on-par with their desktop equivalents. Maybe in the future.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

For who?

I read a review the other day (I believe it was on Anandtech? and I can't remember what the review was about), and the reviewer made the distinction that there are two types of workflows for users: Human-limited workloads and System-limited workloads..

In human-limited workloads (IE email, web, etc), the system doesn't matter because the primary holdback is the user's typing speed. For these types of workloads, a laptop or even a tablet can do just fine.

However, in system-limited workloads (IE, content creation, professional uses, gaming, etc), the a more powerful system is always a benefit because the processing power of the device is a more prevalent deciding factor than simple convenience. A desktop will always win in this category, because desktops can fit more powerful hardware with bigger chips and larger heatsinks..

For summary, tablets, smartphones, and laptops can easily replace desktops for an average user, because their workload is something that won't be hindered by having a weaker chips. Convenience and "it just works"(non-techies... *sigh*) is a better value than the raw processing power.. The power users, professionals and gamers, will primarily choose desktops because the main concern is processing performance, whether it be for efficient rendering or high res/high FPS gaming. 

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

I hope not, that's like swapping my car for a skateboard.

for your average user, yes I believe they will replace the desktop The performance per dollar on laptops is can be very close to an equivalent desktop right now so they are becoming an even more valid option even for gaming. You will always be able to have more processing power on a desktop though so i don't see laptops replacing purpose built workstations any time soon. 

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

for your average user, yes I believe they will replace the desktop The performance per dollar on laptops is can be very close to an equivalent desktop right now so they are becoming an even more valid option even for gaming. You will always be able to have more processing power on a desktop though so i don't see laptops replacing purpose built workstations any time soon. 

Exactly my view. Also laptops have an advantage of being able to just be docked on to a desk or simply hooked up to peripherals (monitor, keyboard, etc.) for when you are at home so you get the same experience. Again, this is for the average consumer, but people who need more performance will rely on desktops more because of how much more performance they can get.

Another advantage of the desktop is being able to upgrade it. It will increase it's lifespan, but again the average consumer doesn't bother with those and therefore see more value in laptops. Also they come as a whole package so its nice to not worry about monitors and peripherals (but you also have to pay for them each time you upgrade even if the old ones work).

In short, I believe for the average person it will replace the desktop and for many people I know it already has.

I say to a certain degree yes, just look at the Asus G750.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

I say to a certain degree yes, just look at the Asus G750 JZ450.jpg

fixed

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Laptops will never replace desktops.

Because when laptops catch up to the current desktops performance and expand ability, the desktop platform would have become that much more powerful.

I think that in the future, our vision and idea of the desktop will change, and it will no longer be the same as it is today. 

Even if they start using a different technology to make microchips (aka graphene) and magically we no longer need beefy heatsinks on our components. Then MAYBE laptops will become a lot closer to desktops.

But since laptops aren't using desktop grade hardware, then they will most likely never catch up.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

Short Answer: NO.

Long Answer: It's highly likely that they will become the mainstream devices used  by the  average consumer. However, these consumers would also be the ones likely to jump on mATX and mITX PCs if they needed more power. And the enthusiast/enterprise sectors will continue to buy up the high-end components solely due to limitations on the laptop form factor.

Furthermore, we probably will (Or already have) hit a wall in terms of how much extra power the laptop form factor can push before leading into a paradox that would make desktops look better. I think this shows in that most of the innovations highlighted in newer laptops/laptop components is better power efficiency as opposed to balls to the wall performance boosts.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

Guys, the keyword is eventually. Yes laptops will eventually replace desktops. Whether this takes 20 years, 100 years, 500 years. It's just a matter of putting more and more power into smaller and smaller form factors.

Enthoo Primo - ASUS Maximus Formula VII - 4790k 4.8ghz 1.28v - EK Supremacy Evo Clean - 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical - 1000w EVGA Supernova Gold - 2x Alphacool Monsta Rads in push/pull - 2x Galaxy 780 HoF with EK waterblock

Build Log http://imgur.com/a/UV6Wh Just want to warn everyone, my build log is pretty mediocre.

for mainstream use it already has overthrown the desktop but

there is no laptop that has a 27inch 2.5k display... as long as people need that kind of screen real state and horsepower to run it desktops will be there.

its all about simple physics.. you need more space and ventilation to cool down components that run hot. the more powerful things are the hotter they get. 

it does not matter if its for gaming or for workstation applications desktops are going to be there.

Ultrabooks with docking stations, yes. Once the power gap closes, and we're getting there. Convertible tablet/ultrabook to use with Digitizer pens optional. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

With the advent of tablets, a laptop has become a niche device for me - I haven't owned one since 2011 when I made the switch to an iPad. The iPad/tablet dominates my general usage - it is supreme in content consumption such as web browsing, watching movies, Facebook and chatting etc. Easier to use and position in bed, with minimal heat output and actually PORTABLE. I don't have to whip it out at airport security, it fits into the smallest compartment on a backpack and is universally recognised (e.g every hotel has a charger for it if I forget mine).

The only need I'd think of for a laptop for me is if I actually needed to do work while travelling, which is something I avoid at all costs. And laptops that are capable of doing the work I do tend to be bulky, loud, hot and not portable. If I was a student I would see some value in one.

So desktop is for whenever I need to get work done, iPad is for general, personal use.

Desktops will always have place I have feeling.

Laptops are for mobile use, whats the fucking point of a laptop if you are having it at one place only all the time, no they won't replace desktop ever.

Keep dreaming.......

You have very very little hope in the advancement of technology. Has only taken 20 years to make HUGE leaps. 100 years I guarantee things will be vastly different.

Enthoo Primo - ASUS Maximus Formula VII - 4790k 4.8ghz 1.28v - EK Supremacy Evo Clean - 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical - 1000w EVGA Supernova Gold - 2x Alphacool Monsta Rads in push/pull - 2x Galaxy 780 HoF with EK waterblock

Build Log http://imgur.com/a/UV6Wh Just want to warn everyone, my build log is pretty mediocre.

The way I see it desktops will shrink and move to the living room to replace consoles. There PC will be the living room gaming and streaming box, and the laptop will be there on the go system. At that point there will be no desktop anymore as its now part of you home entertainment system. You laptop will play some games and the ones it can't handle will be steamed to it from your home system. So the 2 will work more hand in hand not agents each other.

In the next 10 to 20 years? No, Desktop PC will still be the go-to platform for high performances.

After that, if things goes smoothly, we might not even need laptops, we could have (holographic) screens that are wirelessly connected to a powerful terminal somewhere in the world and use that for any processing power we need for a monthly/yearly cost.

Ok that's just a dream, but it could easily be reality some day, especially when we have things like Nvidia GRID today. Then again, we would need to get rid of awful ISPs like Comcast and the likes who has no intention of ever upgrading their infrastructure.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

It's not just performance to price, it's performance.

Due to size constraints and heat, a laptop literally cannot perform as well as a desktop.

If the best laptop can reach 10

And a good desktop can reach 10-12

The best desktop can reach 20