Zotac 660Ti problem, [you can be first 'problem solver' in whole internet]

kamillode

Hi, I'm a new member so this is my first post.

I'm writing here because I have searched whole internet and didn't find any helpful solution or in other words: I have tried everything.

I bought used Zotac 660Ti (ZT-60802-10P) because I thought I'm a smart guy that can solve the problem described on internet auction.

The problem is a black screen followed by "display driver stopped responding and has recover" pop-up - something like this, translated from my language (Polish). This is happening every time, the card is on high load (for instance 3dmark11). In idle (browsing net etc.) it works absolutely normal.

What i know:

-I'm 3rd user, trying to do something with this problem (first was noob that just saw this crash 'in most demanding games' and sold it immediately, second just thought it is PSU, driver or whole rig problem so he put it into his motherboard wishing it helps. After he realise that the problem didn't disappear, he sold it. I bought the GPU from him for small price, proud of myself and now I'm asking you for help :P

What I did:

1. I've tried Nvidia display drivers from 314.22 to 337.50(newest beta) - the same error during the 3dmark11. It might by only my placebo, that It crashes in different amount of time. Nevertheless - it does crash.

2. I've checked the temps under load and they didn't pass 70 degrees (Celcius) so I think this is normal

3. I've tried downclocking, overclocking, changing voltage, changing fan speed to 100% - problem still appeared

4. I observed the graphs from gpu-z trying to notice the moment it crashes, but I am pretty sure that it is quite random.

5. In spite of conclusion in point 2. I changed the thermal compound on graphic processor and VRM and removed any smut (dust etc.) from PCB - just in case. The temps are now lower (something over 60 max as I remember). Unfortunately it brings nothing.

6.The next step was changing the bios. I have tried clear version from techPowerUp - nothing, bios from Zotac amp! -nothing. Even unlocking and modyfying bios (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?284014-KGB-Kepler-BIOS-Editor-Unlocker) didn't help.

7.I have also second 660ti Gigabyte - working perfectly, so I put them in SLI - I know that was stupid , but I ran out of ideas. I'm not sure but I think that this configuration stayed a little bit longer in 3dmark11.

I am 99% sure that this problem concernes only Zotac, because it was tested on different rigs and the problem remain exactly the same. My computer is of course for one year working without any crash at all.

However, my parts:

CPU:FX 8350 (4,6 GHz) with Coolink CORATOR DS

GPU: 660Ti Gigabyte (GV-N66TWF2-2GD)

MB: Gigabyte 990XA-UD3 rev 3 with additional fan on VRM and with new thermal compound everywhere

RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x4Gb

HDD: 500Gb WD (WD5000AAKX )

PSU: Thermaltake Smart SE Modular 630W

CASE: Silentium PC Gladius M40 - very qood and popular in my country

Internet knows similar problems - not only with this card, but from my search no one can explain what is causing the problem.

PLEASE, HELP ME! YOU CAN BE INTERNET HERO! :)

After all off this I have the same feeling :D , but is there any help?

Let me get this straight... You search the WHOLE internet? I'm pretty sure more content is being uploaded faster than you can read.

Oh come on, don't play with words. You know what I meant. ;) I know this can be lost case, but can anyone explain what is causing this problem?

Oh come on, don't play with words. You know what I meant. ;) I know this can be lost case, but can anyone explain what is causing this problem?

The card is faulty, if 3 people have attempted to rectify the issue on 3 seperate systems then I'm calling process of elimination.

Consumers don't try to resolve faults with GPUs as a general rule, we RMA them.

The GPU could have a short and thus just malfunctioning and i am pretty sure the seller new of this. I doubt there is a way to fix it on your own. Only an RMA would solve this problem.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

@Askew 
They know the problem, but they do nothing special to repair it. The PCB was untouched.

@Leonard
The card is probably after warranty. Even if it's not expired, I've broken it by my operations. In addition I think I have no 'papers'.  Ok, assuming I can RMA this - I don't know how to do it, and how much it will cost.

@Askew 

They know the problem, but they do nothing special to repair it. The PCB was untouched.

@Leonard

The card is probably after warranty. Even if it's not expired, I've broken it by my operations. In addition I think I have no 'papers'.  Ok, assuming I can RMA this - I don't know how to do it, and how much it will cost.

It could cost almost the same or more than purchasing a new card of the same or sometimes different value depending on where you live in the world. If you don't have the proof of purchase then it would be impossible to RMA it. 

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Well, RMA is excluded. So back into repairing it on my own I have degree in electrical engineering and I have knowledge to do some change in circuit board but I have no experience in tampering with graphic cards. I did brief look and to me there isn't any burned element on PCB. However in most cases logical parts don't show any signs of being broken. I'm stubborn and I'm not going to surrender easily :D Is there anyone who can help or just show me right direction? As an absolute last resort I will check every part somehow, but it will take ages :P

Disable ULPS?

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

Dude!, Why would you do that!. The GPU is faulty it self. My friend had the exact same problem with his GTX 770, just send it back to nVidia if you can then they should give you a new one. I belive what's happening is, when someone is needed by the GPU it just says no then black screens. And does that with alot of animations 

Try this but at your own Risk.

Worth it though for the money you'd save

DROGON: Intel i5-4690K @ 3.5 GHz /// MSI Z97 Gaming 5 /// Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x4GB @ 1600MHz /// EVGA GTX 780 Classified /// Phanteks Enthoo Pro /// Crucial MX100 512GB SSD /// Corsair AX760i /// Corsair H105 /// Corsair Vengeance K70 /// Corsair M45 /// Dell Ultrasharp U2414H /// Build log: completed

• 2 weeks later...

For those, who have doubted and have stupid ideas and for those who tried to be helpful.   Lots of effort end electrical stuff, but FINALLY, IT WORKS!!! :))) Case closed. yeea!

For those, who have doubted and have stupid ideas and for those who tried to be helpful.   Lots of effort end electrical stuff, but FINALLY, IT WORKS!!! :))) Case closed. yeea!

How did you do it?

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

How did you do it?

he did what was in the video