LTT Cutting Between Cameras

Hi All

Something i have noticed in some LTT videos lately is them cutting between different cameras and having Linus talking to the camera that it cuts too.

He often turns around or moves between cuts just to face the new camera while still talking.

Is it just me or does this get really annoying?

Thanks

an example here, it cuts between 3 different camera or shots with Linus talking to all 3 in 10 seconds.

It may be more on the editing cutting between the shots so harshly, when i would edit footage and had to do cuts like that i would often cover with overlay to avoid cutting standing out and it being so disorientating going between different cameras or shots such as they did here.  

would you rather watch Linus with his side/back turned to the camera while he awkwardly talks into the distance/ceiling?

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

54 minutes ago, podkall said:

would you rather watch Linus with his side/back turned to the camera while he awkwardly talks into the distance/ceiling?

No, but why the need to have so many cuts in a short amount of time? It happens when someone lears a new skill or gets a new toy, they overuse it initially.

A single camera constantly moving around is way more annoying than jump cuts in a multi-camera setup.

As long as they're either pre-recording (so the edit just follows to whichever camera the host faces), or they have some kind of tally light system in place (so the hosts know which camera is live), multi-cam is fine.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

4 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

No, but why the need to have so many cuts in a short amount of time? It happens when someone lears a new skill or gets a new toy, they overuse it initially.

That's why whenever I made a Power Point presentation I used every transition available.

I'm no longer allowed to make Power Point presentations...

The thing is in the example i posted it cuts from him talking looking at camera to turning around and cutting to a shot over the monitor with him still talking to cutting back to him turning around the shot of him turning to the monitor and talking doesn't do anything other then the audio.

Its a nothing shot we don't see him doing anything with the monitor we don't see him point out something so him turning back to face the monitor and then around again is pointless.

Its probably only in because they needed his audio and didn't have anything to cover it with, when i edit video that 10 seconds wouldn't happen because that shot would get covered by overlay or an action shot like him using the monitor and u would just hear the audio of him talking.

The 3rd shot i don't care about because id do that all the time crop in a bit to give the appearance of another shot or to emphasis what the person is saying it happens all the time. The issue is having Linus talking to 1 camera turning cutting to that camera him then talking to that 2nd camera and then turning again and talking to ether the original camera or a 3rd camera or the 1st camera but in a slightly different spot or just cropping in during post to make it look like a 3rd, its also like they are trying to give the illusion of fast paced action packed but without actively being fast.

Its not an action movie fight scene there making its a youtube tech video you dont need to cut so many times and have him turning around to look at a different camera every 5 seconds.

I also don't have an issue with multi-cam shoots they use them all the time its not a problem, and understand the light system we have cameras that do that, Is a super helpful feature at times.

I just don't get and find it annoying and disorientating when they cut between camera shots for the only reason being him turning to look at a different camera while still talking and doing that multiple times. The example i gave isn't the only video they do it in i noticed a few videos they do it.

This doesn't apply to live steams fyi that's a different situation the producer is cutting between cameras to try and show the action and not being a mind reader doesn't know what the host will do or be next so for that i get it its just the normal videos.

8 hours ago, joshfrog said:

Hi All

Something i have noticed in some LTT videos lately is them cutting between different cameras and having Linus talking to the camera that it cuts too.

He often turns around or moves between cuts just to face the new camera while still talking.

Is it just me or does this get really annoying?

Thanks

Maybe a bit distracting if it's not showing something that needs to be in the shot.

They might be using a synced multi-camera setup, in which case the correct way of not making it distracting is to not pause between the cuts, but rather to switch the correct camera when his head turns while speaking.

It's not something I'd advocate to change per se, but it's one of those things that makes it seem like the video gets padded by doing so.

11 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

it's not editor's fault really, if Linus starts staring and talking into a different camera, they have 2 choices, cut to a relevant topic video he's talking about or cut to that camera

8 hours ago, joshfrog said:

Its a nothing shot we don't see him doing anything with the monitor we don't see him point out something so him turning back to face the monitor and then around again is pointless.

it's actually body language, kind of like when people move their hands when they talk, similarly you could turn to a monitor if you're talking about something related to that monitor and then turn back around

it's like pointing but less subtle because you don't move your arms

4 hours ago, Kisai said:

Maybe a bit distracting if it's not showing something that needs to be in the shot.

They might be using a synced multi-camera setup, in which case the correct way of not making it distracting is to not pause between the cuts, but rather to switch the correct camera when his head turns while speaking.

It's not something I'd advocate to change per se, but it's one of those things that makes it seem like the video gets padded by doing so.

he might be spinning like a beyblade sometimes, but not always

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

PCs I used before:

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

There are many reasons that could explain this, but rather than indulge in baseless speculation, hopefully they talk about it on WAN show or whatever.

1 hour ago, ToboRobot said:

There are many reasons that could explain this, but rather than indulge in baseless speculation, hopefully they talk about it on WAN show or whatever.

Ugh, please no. The WAN show is already 50% useless banter, it doesn't need a topic like multi-cam etiquette.

Far as I can tell, this is to keep viewer retention. Videos with cuts, fast paced action and music and all that annoying stuff helps the retention. That's what YT has gotten to at this point and I hate it.

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

9 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Ugh, please no. The WAN show is already 50% useless banter, it doesn't need a topic like multi-cam etiquette.

I don't think we want them to stop using multi-cam i didn't see anyone say that and my post wasn't about them killing multi-cam it was the bad cuts that are pointless.

Multi-cam is great for syncing cameras and being able to import them into video editing software for editing. 

11 hours ago, podkall said:

it's not editor's fault really, if Linus starts staring and talking into a different camera, they have 2 choices, cut to a relevant topic video he's talking about or cut to that camera

Its a bit of both editor and the way it was shot, i get the reason they shot it on 2 or 3 cameras and using a multi-cam setup no problem with that, my original issue is Linus talking to 2 or 3 cameras directly but turning around every 5 seconds to talk to a different camera for seemingly no reason.

For a shoot like that you would cover the set with cameras in places you would want to get best coverage of the "action"

1 camera behind the monitor to get reaction shots of Linus using the monitor and if he wanted to talk to the camera while using it, just look up.

1 camera behind him so you could see him using the monitor and it show off just how damn wide it is.

1 to move around to get close ups of him using the monitor and maybe for direct to camera 

what they did in camera placement makes sense but having him talking to 1 turning around talking to another then turning around again and talking to camera again the point of turning around and talking to the different cameras is pointless, and then to have the editor keep those turns in the video 3 times in 10 seconds doesn't work.

33 minutes ago, joshfrog said:

I don't think we want them to stop using multi-cam i didn't see anyone say that and my post wasn't about them killing multi-cam it was the bad cuts that are pointless.

Multi-cam is great for syncing cameras and being able to import them into video editing software for editing.

I didn't say to stop using it. I said don't talk about it on wan show.

As for the usage, like with anything, do it in moderation, do it well and do it when it make sense. A three shot in less than ten seconds violates two of those.

3 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

I didn't say to stop using it. I said don't talk about it on wan show.

You are correct sorry for miss quoting you.

On 5/9/2024 at 3:20 PM, podkall said:

For one short video, as a joke, yes, absolutely. Cut to a camera he's NOT looking at. 😛

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

50 minutes ago, Sarra said:

For one short video, as a joke, yes, absolutely. Cut to a camera he's NOT looking at. 😛

just watch him turn 45-90° on a single camera (no switch) once ever 5-60 seconds does sound halarious

PC:

PCs I used before:

1 hour ago, podkall said:

just watch him turn 45-90° on a single camera (no switch) once ever 5-60 seconds does sound halarious

Yes, exactly :3 He could play it up a little, too, to look like he's demonically possessed while just talking normally. XD

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

I agree, in the example video linked Linus is talking to the first camera then turned around for no reason other than to look at the second camera requiring the jump cut and then immediately he is turned around to look at the first camera because the second cameras perspective in that instance is terrible and unnecessary.

If they are going to cut to a second camera there should be a solid reason behind it.

I feel bad for the editor that had this extra and unnecessary work pushed on them.

15 hours ago, podkall said:

That's what comedy programs do. "Camera 1" *joke*, "camera 2" *Punchline!*

Like I said earlier, it's the "jump cutting" between two camera views which are clearly different shots that makes it distracting. If it was one shot with two views, it would not be distracting.

If you watch the example link it may be 2 cameras but the camera is clearly pointing to a different view/angle to make it look like a 3rd shot/camera.

I would assume its on a rig with someone carrying the camera so it can move and be the same camera because you do see the camera moving in shots 1 and 3 but not 2.

Its not uncommon for a camera to go from a wide to close up on a person with a cut it often gets used to emphasize the dialog or show the reaction/emotion of the person speaking. IMO i find it super distracting having Linus turn around 3 times in 10 seconds talking to 3 different cameras and appearing to be 3 different shots with hard cuts. if they did that assuming it would be covered with overlay in editing no problem i get it. 

However it wasn't covered, its not the 1st time they did it and i still find it distracting and super weird AF.

When i filmed stuff i would make shots and know this is a stupid shot or a stupid angle but i would often be the person editing it and already be planning the editing while filming and those shots i would know this is only for audio and i need to get overlay to cut to.

Because the film crew for LTT videos don't edit they could be filming things the camera op thinks would be covered by overlay so it ends up coming down to the editor in that case. However i still don't get Linus turning 3 times so quick during filming.

If my tone comes off like I'm bitching about them killing some one its not my intent.

The example is very basic imo, and most likely done for the effect. I've seen worse. Like the common thing MANY smaller creators use is that they cut-n-paste sentences together. With LTT videos, the spoken parts are always longer, with proper pauses. Here also the change or camera angle or cut is not rapid or sudden. It flows with how script is structured.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I feel like a lot of the problems with that setup stem from multiple factors. For one, the way multicam setups usually work when you see them on live TV or even filmed TV shows, they're at the same perspective, with identical cameras, lenses and color grading. None of that is true here, with the possible exception of the cameras and lenses, though that wouldn't explain the different color grading. I mean, look at these two shots, which are mere seconds apart.

image.thumb.png.26c2aa8c9895505c9de594c096319b6c.png

image.thumb.png.8a24f2840090da18f3f95b1ade76a840.png

The colors on Linus' face are completely different and the lighting is clearly not suited for both types of image composition. And on a subjective note, the second image features truly hideous composition. The downward facing angle feels completely alien. You rarely see this type of stuff outside of amateur productions who haven't mastered cinematic language. And I feel that a professional video production company who love to shoot at wider than 16:9 aspect ratio for aesthetic effects should at least display some solid fundamentals. The fact that the shots switch between handheld and completely static setups also adds to this disconnect. Cinematography is also a part of storytelling and if you notice it this distinctly, it detracts from the experience.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

On 5/11/2024 at 5:45 PM, Sarra said:

Yes, exactly :3 He could play it up a little, too, to look like he's demonically possessed while just talking normally. XD

A̶̧͍̠̿̈́ ̶̱̩͆̐͜ṱ̸̨̛͕̞͒̐r̸̰͔̀͂̀̅i̶͚̫̔͂͑̏b̷̡̨̐ṵ̷̪̽͐t̴͎́̕u̶̠͋ͅm̶͍̜̙̥̐̽ ̷͖̗͛̽̉s̴̨̯̉͊͑c̸͕̗̘͌̒ŗ̸̰̲̩̉̊͛͠î̸̭̘͘b̸̘̫̥̊è̸͓̫̪́-̷̠̔͜ơ̶͙͖̲̓f̶̝̮̺̲͑͌͝f̶̢̄̉̓͘͜ ̵̧̧̞̋̉̕n̸̥̾̀̓̎ő̶͈̜͙͖́͠n̵̳͔̎͠ ̷͓͛́ȉ̷͖n̶̠̝͓̑̀͝t̵̝̠̿̀̓͝e̵̩̣͚͍͊̎͂̓l̵̼̙͛̑̎̕l̵͉̄̈i̷̧̛̜̹͓g̷̨͚̦̘̊͂̂ů̶̬̥̈́̇ṋ̴͊͋͊t̴̺̺͍̓ų̶̼̘̅͜r̶̳͔̮̆͛͜ ̵̠̔̕͠n̴͉͍͓̍͗ö̷̗̘́͊̉̅ń̴̫̪̗̫ ̶̯͐͐͒e̵̳͕͓̒͐̓͜x̴̗̺̀̃p̴̪̭̄͛̾e̴̖͂ṉ̶̮͌͠d̴͍͎̰̔͘e̶͖͔̗̜̊̀̌͌r̴̯̥͇͈̆̒͠ȩ̵͎̠̂̏͛̓ ̶̩̥͇̱͗̽̎͝p̵̧̦̝̦̏e̷̳͎̽͛c̶̪͓̱̊̄́̆ŭ̸͚̖̥̚͝ṉ̵̰͛ỉ̵̓͜ǎ̵̡̰͍̾͊̿m̶͓̤̥̝̓͛

Spoiler

A tributum scribe-off non intelliguntur non expendere pecuniam

I'll leave the translation up to the reader. 😉 

I sold my soul for ProSupport.