BOINC Pentathlon 2024

Just now, leadeater said:

Bunkering NFS is more than useful, not being able to run one of the events is not really a problem

Yep, thus why I'll do that instead of VM.  It won't be a lot of NFS, but it'll be more worthwhile than a VM with no GPU on MilkyWay.  🙂

Speaking of bunker stuffs.  Have they had all of the multiplier days?  That's only for the marathon, right?

6 minutes ago, justpoet said:

Speaking of bunker stuffs.  Have they had all of the multiplier days?  That's only for the marathon, right?

No, that's the Steeplechase. It was originally going to run for 7-days with 3 bonus days. Due to the issues with SiDock they reduced the run time to 5-days and only 2 bonus days.

The Steelplechase has not started yet and that's the Milkyway@home discipline.

BOINC Team Member of TeAm AanandTech

BOINCGames.com - BOINC Competition all year long.

6 minutes ago, SkillzTA said:

No, that's the Steeplechase. It was originally going to run for 7-days with 3 bonus days. Due to the issues with SiDock they reduced the run time to 5-days and only 2 bonus days.

The Steelplechase has not started yet and that's the Milkyway@home discipline.

Ahh, thanks.  Guess I'll have to try and see if I can get my main linux machine's BOINC working.  It runs boinc, but won't finish setting up.  I only spent 30 seconds on it last night though.  Tonight I should find some time to give it some concussive maintenance if required.

38 minutes ago, leadeater said:

1b25f891994debba87a2cc6c501b759c.jpg

and lead.

lots of lead

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

If you guys haven't been paying attention. SETI.Germany (SG) out threw Planet 3DNow (P3D) in the Javelin throw on the second day. This puts SG in control of being able to beat P3D if they can repeat that throw (or more) two more times. Now P3D has to throw 4 times if they want to guarantee a win there.

BOINC Team Member of TeAm AanandTech

BOINCGames.com - BOINC Competition all year long.

43 minutes ago, SkillzTA said:

If you guys haven't been paying attention. SETI.Germany (SG) out threw Planet 3DNow (P3D) in the Javelin throw on the second day. This puts SG in control of being able to beat P3D if they can repeat that throw (or more) two more times. Now P3D has to throw 4 times if they want to guarantee a win there.

Yep, unfortunately this basically only helps us for other events. Could do as large a throw as I'd hoped 😢

So for Jav what does everyone want to do? With a day gap between we can actually break over 10.4m and try to contest for 2nd & 3rd. But that also means having to do the next 3 meaning the last 24 hours on NFS was basically wasted. Or are we happy with 4th?

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

1b25f891994debba87a2cc6c501b759c.jpg

It has been concussed and is now successfully bunkering Milkyway.  Other systems bunkering NFS for Jav, though my daily laptop only got 4 that worked and the rest went Computation Error, so there goes that one.  😞

53 minutes ago, leadeater said:

So for Jav what does everyone want to do? With a day gap between we can actually break over 10.4m and try to contest for 2nd & 3rd. But that also means having to do the next 3 meaning the last 24 hours on NFS was basically wasted. Or are we happy with 4th?

Going from 4th to 3rd gives us an extra 10 points, 20 points if we get 2nd.  Since that would likely also drop P3D or SG, it could give us some serious rank challenge, especially if we put a 20 point swing on SG.

Marathon doesn't look like it will change unless we have a ton hidden or we drop production to lose a spot.  Either way, that's only a 3 point swing.

So, it probably makes sense to go for the other Jav throws if we can actually hit 2nd unless we can contend for a top spot with MW by not doing so.  MW sounds like a random crap shoot, due to the weird wingman mechanics, rather than something we can plan at all?

45 minutes ago, justpoet said:

So, it probably makes sense to go for the other Jav throws if we can actually hit 2nd unless we can contend for a top spot with MW by not doing so.  MW sounds like a random crap shoot, due to the weird wingman mechanics, rather than something we can plan at all?

Well since P3D has to do an extra and larger Jav throw than they wanted to this potentially allows us to do better in Steeplechase. By trying to do better in Jav we are putting ourselves in the same situation as them. We could try for 2nd/3rd, fail and then also only get 4th in Steeplechase as well.

🤷‍♂️

33 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Well since P3D has to do an extra and larger Jav throw than they wanted to this potentially allows us to do better in Steeplechase. By trying to do better in Jav we are putting ourselves in the same situation as them. We could try for 2nd/3rd, fail and then also only get 4th in Steeplechase as well.

🤷‍♂️

I guess it depends on what the bonus is? Usually what is the obstacle/bonus for this Steeplechase?

My Folding Stats

Current Rigs

Raspberry Pi 5 8GB, Raspberry Pi 4 4GB, Raspberry Pi 3, Raspberry Pi Zero W, Raspberry Pi Zero...I like Pi

Fractal North,ASRock Riptide B550, Ryzen 7 5700X, 6700XT with custom CPU/GPU loop.

2 hours ago, HoldSquat said:

I guess it depends on what the bonus is? Usually what is the obstacle/bonus for this Steeplechase?

It's new so no experience there, it says it can be 20, 30 or 50% but you don't know before it starts

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 hours ago, HoldSquat said:

What we know about MW though is that bunkering for it is rather ineffective.

Right now we have to do this throw and match our last anyway so we can do that for now then decide at that time to keep getting more NFS or not.

So, is the consensus bunker for NFS then do milky way?

"The most important step a man can take. It’s not the first one, is it?
It’s the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar."
–Chapter 118, Oathbringer, Stormlight Archive #3 by Brandon Sanderson

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

Doing all the NFS I have then will start on MW but realistically probably have enough NFS for the day

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Wonder if this thread will get to over 1000 posts

Apprentice Software Developer

29 minutes ago, Lightwreather said:

So, is the consensus bunker for NFS then do milky way?

That's what I am setting up for now

My Folding Stats

Current Rigs

Raspberry Pi 5 8GB, Raspberry Pi 4 4GB, Raspberry Pi 3, Raspberry Pi Zero W, Raspberry Pi Zero...I like Pi

Fractal North,ASRock Riptide B550, Ryzen 7 5700X, 6700XT with custom CPU/GPU loop.

16 minutes ago, Blasty Blosty said:

Wonder if this thread will get to over 1000 posts

LETS GOOOO

My Folding Stats

Current Rigs

Does anyone by any chance know how to set up a second instance of BOINC on stupid macOS, if it’s doable / worth doing that is 

2 hours ago, Rbakker02 said:

Does anyone by any chance know how to set up a second instance of BOINC on stupid macOS, if it’s doable / worth doing that is 

The method is basically the same as Linux and Windows, have a look at the spoiler on the main topic post. But unless you are doing to be able to do a lot of work very quickly or not send it in for 2 days I doubt much point on most Macs unless it's a Mx Max or Ultra.

FYI for those interested and/or have multiple systems BOINCTasks has a nice column you can add/show on the project view for how many tasks per day your host can do which helps a lot in calculating out how many points you can get. Also means you can compare any configuration changes like HT on vs off, BIOS settings etc to see what is net best.

image.thumb.png.870329e41678be83ae0f964a2149e03c.png

Note: Only my Linux systems are added in, can't do my Windows ones for "reasons" so still doing them manually via RDP.

16 minutes ago, leadeater said:

The method is basically the same as Linux and Windows, have a look at the spoiler on the main topic post. But unless you are doing to be able to do a lot of work very quickly or not send it in for 2 days I doubt much point on most Macs unless it's a Mx Max or Ultra.

ok thanks, currently I have two laptops bunkering NFS, as I don’t have enough steam to help anywhere else 

35 minutes ago, Rbakker02 said:

ok thanks, currently I have two laptops bunkering NFS, as I don’t have enough steam to help anywhere else 

Thanks! Every little bit helps! City run was getting close, had some back and forth for 3rd place

My Folding Stats

Current Rigs