TikTok reportedly plans to file a lawsuit against the potential US ban

Summary

TikTok reportedly plans to file a lawsuit against the potential US ban

Quotes

In March 2024, the US House of Representatives passed a bill that would require ByteDance to sell TikTok to another company within six months, or the app would be banned in the US. That bill has yet to be voted on in the Senate, but on April 20, 2024, the House passed another bill that would force the sale of the app, but this time ByteDance would have nine months to do so.

After the latest bill passed, TikTok’s head of public policy for the America’s, Michael Beckerman, told staff in an internal memo acquired by The Information that the company plans to fight the bill in the courts.

“At the stage that the bill is signed, we will move to the courts for a legal challenge,” he said. “We’ll continue to fight, as this legislation is a clear violation of the first amendment rights of the 170 million Americans on TikTok.”

This isn’t the first time that TikTok will end up in the courts following an attempt to ban the app in the US, either. Back in May 2023, the Governor of Montana signed a bill banning TikTok in the state — but a lawsuit from the company was quickly filed and the ban was never enacted on its scheduled date.

Quite a few big names have come out against the TikTok “ban” bill since the first one passed in March, including Twitter/X’s own Elon Musk.

“In my opinion, TikTok should not be banned in the USA, even though such a ban may benefit the 𝕏 platform,” he said in a post on Twitter/X

My thoughts

well I think they will lose, I don't hope they win

Sources

https://x.com/Dexerto/status/1782423171104129257

I think TikTok should win legally, as they did already, because the US ban is purely political conundrum and the State has no real legal material to backup its claim

US political leaders can ban the whole of China trade, but hardly one US operating China  owned company, with nothing else than prejudice to justify it

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Summary

The US House of Representatives once again passed a bill today that could potentially mean the end of TikTok in the United States, only this time they did it by including it in a foreign aid package.

Quotes

The US House of Representatives passed a bill today that could potentially mean the end of TikTok in the United States.

The House previously passed a similar bill in March; however, the bill later stalled in the Senate. This time the bill is included in a foreign aid package, making it a higher priority item for the Senate and President Biden. The bill passed with a vote of 360-58, the AP reports.

The original version of the bill gave ByteDance six months to divest the company before it would be blocked in the US. The new version of the bill expands that time period to a full year.

On the Senate floor today, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer said that the bill may be voted on as early as Tuesday afternoon.

The US is concerned that TikTok might pose a national security threat due to its ties to China. Beyond TikTok, the bill would also give the president the power to ban other apps that are controlled by a US-designated adversary because they pose a “national security risk."

My thoughts

this is a big step in banning tiktok, India was the first to do it and now bans are happening worldwide, but i think there needs to be more, like ISP blocks of tiktok

Sources

https://x.com/PCMag/status/1782430700387414270

-> Moved to General Discussion

After review, this thread can stay open. However, it doesn't follow Tech News guidelines. Please fix following and thread can be moved back:

• Proper source. X, Reddit etc. are not good sources. Better are official statements, news arcticles or youtube channels with reasonable following.
  • More text to summary and personal take. Both of these fall way under standards. As noted in guidelines, these can't be just one or two lines worth to skirt around guidelines.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 4/22/2024 at 5:25 PM, PDifolco said:

I think TikTok should win legally, as they did already, because the US ban is purely political conundrum and the State has no real legal material to backup its claim

US political leaders can ban the whole of China trade, but hardly one US operating China  owned company, with nothing else than prejudice to justify it

i mean depends on the actual laws?

if "harmful" media can be made illegal then why not?

however, with America's "free speech" this might actually not be possible... so yeah, weird situation, i just don't think you can say with certainty  (i mean there have to be some laws regarding misinformation, cult like organizations, etc, etc, no?) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

i mean depends on the actual laws?

if "harmful" media can be made illegal then why not?

however, with America's "free speech" this might actually not be possible... so yeah, weird situation, i just don't think you can say with certainty  (i mean there have to be some laws regarding misinformation, cult like organizations, etc, etc, no?) 

Yes was talking about the "democratic" countries, US/EU/Canada etc they usually have stringent criteria to silence media for political reasons

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

On 4/22/2024 at 11:25 AM, PDifolco said:

I don't think it can be boiled down to prejudice. There's a big difference in the version we get than the one they feel comfortable using.

It's not a safe platform for kids, that's for sure. 

Trying to strongarm China is probably a poor way to handle it though.

ABC News - Tiktok in China vs USA

To be honest, this is just China being given a taste of it's own medicine, after decades of "IP theft under the guise of Chinese partnerships"

The people in charge of Tiktok would rather shut it down than reveal the algorithm, which is extremely telling. I bet "the algorithm" tiktok is using is probably much more nefarious than we believe it to be.

4 hours ago, StarsMars said:

It's not a safe platform for kids, that's for sure. 

If only there were people that could control what kids have access to. Like in a parenting role. You could call them parents. But before those people are invented, I guess we need the government to decide what children have access to....

Maybe we should outlaw cars. Because in the hands of kids those are dangerous. Ironically in most US states young kids (younger than they would have a phone) are allowed to access guns. But we draw the line at watching stupid videos. No, I'm not arguing for or against gun access. But think about the fact that watching a video is considered more dangerous.

Countries that outlawed Tik tok (India etc ) now have higher use of Instagram, YT Shorts, and Facebook. That definitely is sooooo much better for kids. It is almost like this law is there to help some players in the market... None of those former Tik Tok users all of sudden started getting into quantum physics or do some other more useful stuff.

I'm sure that company will get a fair trial since the federal and supreme judges aren't just political appointees..... Oh, wait....

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

4 hours ago, Kisai said:

To be honest, this is just China being given a taste of it's own medicine, after decades of "IP theft under the guise of Chinese partnerships"

The people in charge of Tiktok would rather shut it down than reveal the algorithm, which is extremely telling. I bet "the algorithm" tiktok is using is probably much more nefarious than we believe it to be.

But where's the difference with other social media algorithms? It's Chinese and then what ?

Biggest spying companies are the GAFA...

11 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

But where's the difference with other social media algorithms? It's Chinese and then what ?

And then selling user data to marketers for big fat money, like every for profits out there. I really wonder why people believe chinese tech companies would behave any worse or any better just because of "chinese" 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 4/26/2024 at 4:58 PM, Lurking said:

If only there were people that could control what kids have access to. Like in a parenting role. You could call them parents. But before those people are invented, I guess we need the government to decide what children have access to....

Why are you being rude?

Are you suggesting that there shouldn't be anything to protect kids besides parents?

Maybe we should outlaw cars. Because in the hands of kids those are dangerous.

Well we kinda do for kids. You have to be a certain age, pass tests, follow traffic and safety laws.

in most US states young kids are allowed to access guns.

No, I'm not arguing for or against gun access

Oh, wait....

Hmm

14 minutes ago, StarsMars said:

Why are you being rude?

Are you suggesting that there shouldn't be anything to protect kids besides parents?

Parents have full power to restrict Internet access or access to specific apps. They also can sanction children if they circumvent guardrails.

Same way parents have the power to protect children from watching TV, eating junk food etc. If they don't do that, it isn't for the government to outlaw videogames for the entire population.

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

W11 Pro

On 4/22/2024 at 5:25 PM, PDifolco said:

Didn't China ban most of the US products? I think that there are some information not available to the general public and this ban is not accidental. This doesn't seem to be just a political move because other parties wanted to do the same. I believe there is something we don't know atm or something that is not yet confirmed

11 minutes ago, Hurla said:

Didn't China ban most of the US products? I think that there are some information not available to the general public and this ban is not accidental. This doesn't seem to be just a political move because other parties wanted to do the same. I believe there is something we don't know atm or something that is not yet confirmed

Source? 

China heavily depends on US agricultural products. I doubt the CCP's plan to be popular includes cutting off food supply to their population. 

You really think both parties have knowledge (a joke already) they don't share and only act in our best interest? The same people that make laws to benefit their insider trading now are the ones working selflessly without even taking credit? Your faith in our politicians is legendary.

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

W11 Pro

On 4/26/2024 at 1:58 PM, Lurking said:

it's really not that simple though, most parents nowadays, well, SUCK at parenting, with either being abusive, overbearing, or not giving a shit. It's really sad. I do agree with you though.

On 4/27/2024 at 10:30 AM, Lurking said:

Parents have full power to restrict Internet access or access to specific apps. They also can sanction children if they circumvent guardrails.

Same way parents have the power to protect children from watching TV, eating junk food etc. If they don't do that, it isn't for the government to outlaw videogames for the entire population.

What's sad is the fact that they don't care anymore, and from what I've seen, more parents are just as addicted to that internet shit (cough*TikTok*cough) and just sit on their ass after doing nothing but sitting in bed.

9 minutes ago, zombiepunk10 said:

it's really not that simple though, most parents nowadays, well, SUCK at parenting, with either being abusive, overbearing, or not giving a shit. It's really sad. I do agree with you though.

What about adults that use Tik Tok? Those are impacted by that law as well.

I don't use Tik Tok. But I saw references to Tik Tok from legit educators etc. I'm sure many of those videos are trash, but many may be good. Same with YouTube.

And if we need government to make up for bad parents, the whole Internet, movies, music, coffee, alcohol, sugar etc. should be outlawed because there always will be a parent not preventing their children to have access to that.

And none of that is about children. That is just an excuse for politicians for their trade war, or to bolster their Facebook stock. If it was about children or sanity, they would go after all those companies from X to FB 

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

W11 Pro