Do I need to install monitor drivers?

kacper6768

Are only the graphics card drivers responsible for displaying the image, or is it also recommended to look for monitor drivers? In practice, all I need to do is install the graphics card drivers and all monitor resolutions and refresh rates (Hz) are available. The monitor driver is usually a file with the extension inf. I am using a Hewlett-Packard LA2205 HWP2847 monitor. Is there any difference with the installed driver with the inf extension for the monitor and without this driver?

If I connect the monitor to the computer with a VGA cable but I have other types of connectors available on the monitor and graphics card, does this mean that I am wasting the potential of the monitor and does this make the image look worse?

There is often an option to force higher resolutions, for example 1920x1080, which the monitor does not support. Does this damage the monitor?

Is it possible to force a higher refresh rate on the monitor than 60Hz? Does 60Hz on a monitor mean a limit to 60 FPS display in games?

I have some unwanted CRT monitors. Can these monitors be sold for or if I wanted to get rid of them and just give them to someone for free? Is it true that 30-year-old games display better on CRT monitors than on LCD or LED monitors?

There are a lot of articles on Google that old CRT monitors are now worth a lot because they are no longer produced and that they contain some valuable metals, is this true?

There are no monitor drivers. If you're on desktop, you plug HDMI/DisplayPort in the graphics card slot. Make sure you have graphics drivers installed

>> Please consider tagging me (with a @) or quoting my reply so I can more easily get back at you! <<

Always happy to help!! 🤠

3 hours ago, kacper6768 said:

If I connect the monitor to the computer with a VGA cable but I have other types of connectors available on the monitor and graphics card, does this mean that I am wasting the potential of the monitor and does this make the image look worse?

It shouldn't affect the screen quality nor wasting the potential as long as you're not using the questionable quality adapter

There is often an option to force higher resolutions, for example 1920x1080, which the monitor does not support. Does this damage the monitor?

Not really, but even if you could force the PC to higher resolutions than the monitor screen capability, theoretically it doesn't give any benefits since the pixels on the monitor won't increase it's number to match the forced resolution.

It's even rare to hear that in modern monitor that has such "feature" (not bug, lol)

Is it possible to force a higher refresh rate on the monitor than 60Hz? Does 60Hz on a monitor mean a limit to 60 FPS display in games?

In very simplified answer, yes to limit 60FPS display

Technically, even if your PC could push to way higher FPS than the monitor's refresh rate, it wouldn't give you "smoother" feels, instead it could give you "teared" effect on the screen (hence called "screen tearing"), and you would need to enable VSYNC to fix that.

Is it true that 30-year-old games display better on CRT monitors than on LCD or LED monitors?

If you talk about games developed in 90's and even older, then it's true

The developer back then spend lots of time to adjust graphics to optimized it on CRT monitor (more details as attached on TechQuickie explanation)

But you need to also consider the power consumption of CRT, space, and the usage limited for "retro games"

(Left CRT, Right "actual")

r/FinalFantasyVII - a screenshot of a video game

image.thumb.png.ac1d81af25a248977ad0cbb9c5a808e8.png

YouTube reference for more in depth CRT explanation

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

7 hours ago, kacper6768 said:

Is it true that 30-year-old games display better on CRT monitors than on LCD or LED monitors?

Yes.

The art style of older games were designed to take advantage of CRT's quirks and the way "pixels" would kind of smear into one another and create better images.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

Usually Windows update picks up drivers it needs.

No point messing anything on LCD monitor just get a faster one. For CRT yes very old games look better on it, also motion clarity is better as well vs most LCDs in fast games.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

When I enter settings in the monitor, how are the settings saved so that when the monitor is unplugged, these settings are not reset when the monitor does not have any battery to maintain the settings. If there is no battery in the computer's motherboard, the BIOS settings are reset every time the computer is turned off.

Does my Hewlett-Packard LA2205 HWP2847 monitor support FreeSync or G-Sync?

Is it possible to create a thin monitor with all the advantages of CRT monitors?

How can I force the Samsung LS19MYAKBB/EDC monitor to have a refresh rate of 75Hz in 3D games?

I can normally set the refresh rate 75Hz in the graphics settings from the control panel, but when I start a 3D game, regardless of the resolution, the refresh rate is 60Hz. In the game graphics settings in some games there is an option to set the Hz refresh rate, but not in all games.