550 watt powersupply for RTX 4070 super?

Budget (including currency): Any RTX 4070 Super 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

My Current Setup: 

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 (non x version)

Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite V2

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB (2x8GB) / 3200MHz / DDR4 / CL16 / CMK16GX4M2B3200C16

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti (want to upgrade to RTX 4070 super now)

PSU: Seasonic Focus+ / 550W / 80+ Gold

estimated power consumption according to PCPartPicker 399W

warning on PCPartPicker: "One additional PCIe 12+4-pin 12VHPWR power connector is needed." I think the PSU actually includes more power connectors but I need to check it out.

My question is if I should upgrade my PSU or if it's ok to use the 550W PSU for my RTX 4070 Super upgrade? I'm only using the GPU for gaming and have no need to overclock it for now.

Otherwise I'm also buying a "Cooler Master MWE Gold Fully Modular 1050W V2" that's on sale only today  (130 dollars now for some hours, usually 240 dollars in my country). 

UPDATE!:  My 550W  powersupply has 2 PCIE 8-pin. Could I use these 2 for the 4070 super or do this GPU require more? I have 2  of these cables in the image below

IMG_20240418_191917.jpg

11 minutes ago, PapaAquaWet said:

My question is if I should upgrade my PSU or if it's ok to use the 550W PSU for my RTX 4070 Super upgrade?

do you have the money to upgrade it? it should be fine since the 4070 is an efficient GPU and the 5600 is quite efficient too

estimated PEAK power consumption. In reality, unless you're doing a special workload, you won't be hitting ALL the components at peak at once

"One additional PCIe 12+4-pin 12VHPWR power connector is needed." I think the PSU actually includes more power connectors but I need to check it out.

the 4070 should've come with an adapter for that power connector in the box, check if you've got it

(130 dollars now for some hours

that's quite a good price, can you spend the money? Or should I say, are you planning to upgrade your other components later on?

What resolution are you gaming at?

if it's ok to use the 550W PSU for my RTX 4070 Super upgrade?

yes it's ok. the focus is Tier B and up so definitely

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

10 minutes ago, PapaAquaWet said:

Budget (including currency): Any RTX 4070 Super 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

My Current Setup: 

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 (non x version)

Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite V2

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB (2x8GB) / 3200MHz / DDR4 / CL16 / CMK16GX4M2B3200C16

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti (want to upgrade to RTX 4070 super now)

warning on PCPartPicker: "One additional PCIe 12+4-pin 12VHPWR power connector is needed." I think the PSU actually includes more power connectors but I need to check it out.

My question is if I should upgrade my PSU or if it's ok to use the 550W PSU for my RTX 4070 Super upgrade? I'm only using the GPU for gaming and have no need to overclock it for now.

Otherwise I'm also buying a "Cooler Master MWE Gold Fully Modular 1050W V2" that's on sale only today  (130 dollars now for some hours, usually 240 dollars in my country). 

Your psu only comes with 2x 8pins, the 12vphr adapter needs 4x 8pins.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 minute ago, Failure 101 said:

the 12vphr adapter needs 4x 8pins

not for a 4070, each 8 pin is 150w. So 2 is already 300w. they need to get a better psu if they OC a lot but for now, I think it's fine

That said @PapaAquaWet the 550w focus won't leave you with much space to upgrade later on, so you could upgrade to this SeaSonic FOCUS GX-1000 ATX 3.0 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (ATX3-FOCUS-GX-1000) - PCPartPicker

Current parts list

8 minutes ago, Failure 101 said:

Your psu only comes with 2x 8pins, the 12vphr adapter needs 4x 8pins.

The 4070/Super/Ti only comes with a 2x8pin 12vphr.  The RTX 4080/super comes with a 3x8pin to 12vphr and the 4090 comes with a 4x8pin to 12vphr 🙂

At most the FDB fan will go crazies and it will keep chugging along, this is a very good PSU for its heyday and still is. I had one back in the day in my mom's which I exploded like an idiot over shorting her unfinished rig... in a dumbest way possible. But that was truly a freak accident. That said, I'd simply push the "fan on" button on the rear and keep rocking. That CPU barely pulls 30-60W during a gaming session. On a PC that barebones, that card can well be handled by that PSU.

power-gaming.png

52 minutes ago, filpo said:

the 4070 should've come with an adapter for that power connector in the box, check if you've got it

Hello! Thanks for you answer. I see that my PSU has 2 cables that says "PCI-E" on them. They have 6+2 pins each. So the 4070 super requires you to connect 2 of these cables for it to work right?

1 minute ago, PapaAquaWet said:

Hello! Thanks for you answer. I see that my PSU has 2 cables that says "PCI-E" on them. They have 6+2 pins each. So the 4070 super requires you to connect 2 of these cables for it to work right?

Yes, just look at the quote below from @Hinjima

45 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

The 4070/Super/Ti only comes with a 2x8pin 12vphr.

So yes

31 minutes ago, Motifator said:

That CPU barely pulls 30-60W during a gaming session

I’ve got a 5600 and it pulls more like 75w during gaming at 35% load. And this is with a -30 undervolt. Definitely still fine for the 550w

Current parts list

1 hour ago, PapaAquaWet said:

I'd be more worried about the fact that the Focus Plus had issues with modern cards than the wattage, but there's no point buying a new PSU until you know it doesn't work and since the 4070 has fairly modest power usage, you're more likely to be fine than not.

1 hour ago, Hinjima said:

The 4070/Super/Ti only comes with a 2x8pin 12vphr.  The RTX 4080/super comes with a 3x8pin to 12vphr and the 4090 comes with a 4x8pin to 12vphr 🙂

Sorry for the stupid question but are 2 of these cables shown in the image below enough for the 4070 super? I'm most likeley gonna buy this model of the 4070 super https://pcpartpicker.com/product/HCkH99/gigabyte-windforce-oc-geforce-rtx-4070-super-12-gb-video-card-gv-n407swf3oc-12gd 

IMG_20240418_191917.jpg

4 minutes ago, PapaAquaWet said:

Sorry for the stupid question but are 2 of these cables shown in the image below enough for the 4070 super? I'm most likeley gonna buy this model of the 4070 super https://pcpartpicker.com/product/HCkH99/gigabyte-windforce-oc-geforce-rtx-4070-super-12-gb-video-card-gv-n407swf3oc-12gd 

IMG_20240418_191917.jpg

The GPU you are contemplating would use both 6+2-pin cables.

But you should consider the fact that the GPU specifications recommend a 700W PSU. https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N407SWF3OC-12GD/sp#sp

55 minutes ago, PapaAquaWet said:

Sorry for the stupid question but are 2 of these cables shown in the image below enough for the 4070 super?

If you don't want to use the adapter get the 4070 instead, since most of them (though not all!) use a single 8 pin.

57 minutes ago, brob said:

The GPU you are contemplating would use both 6+2-pin cables.

But you should consider the fact that the GPU specifications recommend a 700W PSU. https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N407SWF3OC-12GD/sp#sp

Why does it say that 700W PSU is recommended? Is it only for overclocking purposes and or if you have a higher end CPU that draws more power?

16 minutes ago, Tetras said:

If you don't want to use the adapter get the 4070 instead, since most of them (though not all!) use a single 8 pin.

The 4070 super seems to have better price to performance which is mainly the reason I go for it. Do you think a 4070 super will  be able to fit inside a Phanteks P300 case with the cable adapter that's included with the 4070 super?

13 minutes ago, PapaAquaWet said:

The 4070 super seems to have better price to performance which is mainly the reason I go for it. Do you think a 4070 super will  be able to fit inside a Phanteks P300 case with the cable adapter that's included with the 4070 super?

Depends on the 4070. Phanteks says it has 330mm clearance (width shouldn't be an issue), so there are plenty of 4070 Super cards that will fit fine, but there also a large number of cards that will not fit.

19 minutes ago, Tetras said:

Depends on the 4070. Phanteks says it has 330mm clearance (width shouldn't be an issue), so there are plenty of 4070 Super cards that will fit fine, but there also a large number of cards that will not fit.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/HCkH99/gigabyte-windforce-oc-geforce-rtx-4070-super-12-gb-video-card-gv-n407swf3oc-12gd 

Ok great! I'm more so worried for maybe the room between the motherboard and glass could be small

2 hours ago, PapaAquaWet said:

Why does it say that 700W PSU is recommended? Is it only for overclocking purposes and or if you have a higher end CPU that draws more power?

Nvidia specs recommends a 650W PSU (based on a 5900X CPU. My speculation is that the 3 GPU fans coupled with an allowance for less than good PSU installed in some systems encouraged the generous recommendation for the Gigabyte GPU.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/HCkH99/gigabyte-windforce-oc-geforce-rtx-4070-super-12-gb-video-card-gv-n407swf3oc-12gd 

Ok great! I'm more so worried for maybe the room between the motherboard and glass could be small

The width of the case looks quite large from the specs I can find online, but I also can't find any guidance on how much space there is. If you can measure it, then you can check that against the width of the card.

5 minutes ago, brob said:

Nvidia specs recommends a 650W PSU (based on a 5900X CPU. My speculation is that the 3 GPU fans coupled with an allowance for less than good PSU installed in some systems encouraged the generous recommendation for the Gigabyte GPU.

Ok. I wrote to one of my friends and he said now that he recommends at least a 750W one so you have more headroom. I bought the PSU I saw on discount now "Cooler Master MWE Gold Fully Modular 1050W V2". Is it a good choice? I saw now that the " SeaSonic FOCUS GX-1000 ATX 3.0 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (ATX3-FOCUS-GX-1000) - PCPartPicker" are also on sale now but it's 30 dollars more

4 minutes ago, Tetras said:

The width of the case looks quite large from the specs I can find online, but I also can't find any guidance on how much space there is. If you can measure it, then you can check that against the width of the card.

I meassured by hand and it seems to be about 18-19 cm or 7 inches between the case and the glass. The GPU is 12.6 cm in height. The GPU I current have is a Gigabyte one aswell and it's 12.1 cm I see now so it should fit. The adapter hopefully will fit aswell.

26 minutes ago, PapaAquaWet said:

Ok. I wrote to one of my friends and he said now that he recommends at least a 750W one so you have more headroom. I bought the PSU I saw on discount now "Cooler Master MWE Gold Fully Modular 1050W V2". Is it a good choice? I saw now that the " SeaSonic FOCUS GX-1000 ATX 3.0 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (ATX3-FOCUS-GX-1000) - PCPartPicker" are also on sale now but it's 30 dollars more

The PSU you bought is a good Tier B model. It will be fine.

The Seasonic Focus ATX 3.0 is likely a Tier A unit.

2 hours ago, brob said:

The PSU you bought is a good Tier B model. It will be fine.

The Seasonic Focus ATX 3.0 is likely a Tier A unit.

Is it a big difference? Btw are those smaller pin like things on the 12VHPWR adapter called sens pins? I think I've seen them first on 3000 series cards or maybe 4000. What's the reason for them?

ok thanks. Last question I have are what are those small things on top of the "12VHPWR" pins called? they look like 4 small pins

They are "sense" pins and communicate the maximum allowable power draw.