Partially damaged motherboard, replacing with same motherboard; have to reload o.s.?

as title inquires, wondering if windows has to be reloaded or just the drivers for motherboard redownloaded

Asus Prime X670-P

2 minutes ago, Jatlon said:

as title inquires, wondering if windows has to be reloaded or just the drivers for motherboard redownloaded

Asus Prime X670-P

ideally, it should just be plug and play. if anything's missing then you can redownload drivers.

That's the hope and dream. It normally depends on how many installations of Windows you've had on the disk, the upgrade process, if the settings remain the same, etc.

Windows 10 and 11 are really good at swapping major components and still working. But I've noticed drives that have been upgraded from 7, 8, and then to 10/11 are less likely to work as intended.

19 hours ago, johnt said:

That's the hope and dream. It normally depends on how many installations of Windows you've had on the disk, the upgrade process, if the settings remain the same, etc.

Windows 10 and 11 are really good at swapping major components and still working. But I've noticed drives that have been upgraded from 7, 8, and then to 10/11 are less likely to work as intended.

hardisc with windows 10 won't be swapt, only motherboard; should be just redownload drivers for motherboard

just don't want to get into a bind with same motherboard but had to redue windows anyway/because would've gotten the best ddr5 motherboard I can get in that case