Win 11: File explorer help - File explorer doesn't show all files while scrolling...

shukero

Hi all,

To start off with - I'm not new to windows, so I've tried to find a fix for this across google, but it's so weird that I can't find anything that could help - so here I am.

This is happening on my Framework 16 laptop. (and every other win 11 laptop I've ever used) If I scroll through a folder within file explorer (I could be scrolling up or down) whenever I get to the end of the folder, it won't show the first / last "x" number of files in the folder until explorer refreshes (after about 1-3 seconds later) after it "refreshes" the folder, it then includes the files that were missing before.

I know this may be not be worded the best, so I captured the issue in action via the "windows" folder here:

Can someone please help me figure out how I can get rid of this? It's very annoying to try and find a file, just to figure out that it was "missing" due to explorer not showing all files in a folder.

Thanks,

Mike

6 hours ago, shukero said:

Hi all,

To start off with - I'm not new to windows, so I've tried to find a fix for this across google, but it's so weird that I can't find anything that could help - so here I am.

This is happening on my Framework 16 laptop. (and every other win 11 laptop I've ever used) If I scroll through a folder within file explorer (I could be scrolling up or down) whenever I get to the end of the folder, it won't show the first / last "x" number of files in the folder until explorer refreshes (after about 1-3 seconds later) after it "refreshes" the folder, it then includes the files that were missing before.

I know this may be not be worded the best, so I captured the issue in action via the "windows" folder here:

Can someone please help me figure out how I can get rid of this? It's very annoying to try and find a file, just to figure out that it was "missing" due to explorer not showing all files in a folder.

Thanks,

Mike

is indexing turned on? 

1 hour ago, Robchil said:

is indexing turned on? 

I'll have to check when I get off work to find out. Would indexing being turned on cause this issue?

The last time I remember having to turn off indexing due to issues was in the Vista era O-o.

12 minutes ago, shukero said:

I'll have to check when I get off work to find out. Would indexing being turned on cause this issue?

The last time I remember having to turn off indexing due to issues was in the Vista era O-o.

yeah.. but when it has finished reindexing your system it should unless it's new files never show wrong content of a directory.. 

So if it's enabled, and I turn it off, will that fix my issue? 

I never really "search" for anything, and if indexing causes files in my folder to not render while scrolling, I'd rather have it off if that will fix the issue.

Just on a side note, it's nuts to me that something which was fixed in win 7 / 10 is once again a problem...

Hi again @Robchil,

I've removed indexing from my entire drive, but I'm still experiencing the same "skipping". Do you or anyone else have any other suggestions?

thanks,

Mike

38 minutes ago, shukero said:

Hi again @Robchil,

I've removed indexing from my entire drive, but I'm still experiencing the same "skipping". Do you or anyone else have any other suggestions?

thanks,

Mike

Hi.. no turning indexing on usually solves it.. but it sounds like it was already on.. windows uses some resources when your not active to index your disks. 

It will not finish before some time after you install windows if you have other drives with data it needs to index. 

Hmm,

Well indexing was already turned on, so I'm now wondering what could cause this issue. I've re-indexed everything on the SSD, and explorer is still having the same issue.

Do you have any other suggestions as to what it might be?

Thanks,

Mike

8 hours ago, shukero said:

Hmm,

Well indexing was already turned on, so I'm now wondering what could cause this issue. I've re-indexed everything on the SSD, and explorer is still having the same issue.

Do you have any other suggestions as to what it might be?

Thanks,

Mike

no clue... but work slower?.. seems like it takes a few sec to load...