Fanboys will HATE my Console Tier List

AdamFromLTT

I was waiting for Linus to mention the CDI from the moment I saw the video

Shame he did not talk about the early age of ""PONG"" clone consoles

Like the DICK SMITH X-1160

h937iav2d9441.thumb.webp.eb05e559160953658fdc5a84de44215d.webp

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

Going in to Bat for the CD32 here, because it (and the PCFX) got stitched up like a kipper!

Though even if Linus did have a CD32 (or for that matter a CDTV, the previous-Gen experience) on hand, the games weren't much more than Amiga games with CD music, and sometimes FMV intros. So I'd have gone for D.

The sad truth about anything Amiga-based is that for the coming 3D revolution, they were underpowered, at least until you slapped some addons and upgrades into them. Emulating an '040 based Amiga with WinUAE's JIT enhancements today, you can get a Butter-smooth 50fps (in PAL Mode) in Frontier: Elite 2. And let's not forget that "AMIGAAAAHHHHH!!!" is the Demoscene's platform of choice.

16 hours ago, Motifator said:

Recent consoles beginning with the Xbox One have been media devices to non-smart TVs alternatively.

that's not recent, some of the 8 bit era systems were literally "a home computer to put in the living room", pretty clear by the point some of them even had a keyboard.

besides that, the PS1 was a glorified CD player, the PS2 was a glorified DVD player, and the PS3 was a glorified bluray player.

you're selling a computer, any feature you can shoe-horn into that computer without significantly increasing the BOM cost is a leg up you have compared to your competition. it just so happens that these days smart tv alike functionality is "the" thing to shoehorn into boxes that are sitting next to your TV anyways.

On 4/16/2024 at 5:43 PM, manikyath said:

all ratchet &clank got was a remake of the PS2 games.

You might be thinking PS4 generation. PS3 had 3 mainline ratchet and clank games: tools of destruction, a crack in time, and into the nexus.

19 hours ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

That's your particular use case. Most people in a casual audience don't have a 1000$+ gaming PC laying around or they don't know how to/are willing to deal with the hasles that come with owning a PC. There's a reason why TV streaming boxes are so popular, just the fire TV stick alone having sold over 200 million units, Roku with over 80 million active users as of 2023 and Android/Google TV with over 110 million users. They're cheap and easy to use, coming with an actual TV remote. Most people that I know that own a console also have either a Smart TV or some kind of TV stick that they use to stream media.

Consoles are primarily gaming devices with media streaming coming at a distant 2nd, I don't think most people buy a 500$ console with streaming in mind. I can't find exact statistics for console users but generally it seems that mobile and TV viewing at least in 2023 accounts for about over 70% of viewership in the US for netflix. Other probably means consoles I'd imagine but I can't say for sure, but if that's the case then console viewership account for about 7% of the total.

image.png.c6b9c94c23abe14d96e5db424e8c064f.png

It might be my particular use case, but it's still something that stands some floor with it. Yes, the Fire stick is great. I use it for TV control as well often times. Though, I wouldn't base anything off Netflix given how crappy movies they come up with, and how repulsive documentaries are off on it. Many on the same topic repeating the same formula like HOW TO GET RICH... hurr durr make a budget of your groceries, don't keep your money in pure cash on your account, etc. Well no thank you mister, I'm not going to learn how to get rich from Netflix. My mind isn't dead enough for that, the Dutch can keep their exceeding monthly Netflix payments and movies about animal cruelty to themselves.

The Fire Stick is a pretty nifty device though I'll tell you that. It even has stuff like Karafun for karaoke. 🙂

and IDK if it is still the same but, Chrome looked worse on Netflix than it did on Edge. A broken feature on Netflix. Viewing with PC was not the best idea for long. So I wouldn't base that conclusion on what the common user base do. They probably don't understand about these things either and are paying Netflix to watch cookie cutter shoot'em'up Call of Duty movies.

If consoles worked more on their media segmentation, you can be ensured we might not even need these devices like the Fire Stick. The Fire Stick is nothing more than a glorified HDMI stick to make a dumb TV, have a fine smart TV OS and features.

I for one truly want a console that outperforms alternatives for media consumption, not gonna lie. Like have at it, cause you have the hardware. In fact, A LOT of hardware for basic media consumption. So why not? The further consoles stay away from being set top box alike devices, the worse they'll get in my conception of view. You shouldn't need two or more things in front of a PC to play media. That is, say Fire stick, Xbox, or even an HTPC. Like what would even be the point of an HTPC if there was a console so good on media consumption anyway? In the older days where CD was still an acceptable media, you could just put a console in front of a TV and roll along. This will no longer be a thing if consoles keep being gamer only toy boxes, even with all the SSD upgradability, 5 nm mumbo jumbo, whatnot.

Exclusives beeing counted as a plus is a weird take tbh. It doesn´t add anything to the experience. A console doesn´t get better because it has exclusives. 

2 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Exclusives beeing counted as a plus is a weird take tbh. It doesn´t add anything to the experience. A console doesn´t get better because it has exclusives. 

Actually for most people, it does. 
I like the PS5 and Xbox Series X, but outside of say, Spider-Man 2 and GoW Ragnarok, and Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 5, what reason is there really to buy either of them?

Meanwhile there’s like 100 reasons to buy a Switch when counting exclusives.

Now granted with Xbox you can just play their games on PC, but the average consumer doesn’t care about that. Exclusives give people incentives to buy a console cause its games are experiences you can’t find anywhere else.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

(The OG Wii is an S tier console )

we all had fun playing it for hours that is the important part

I don't care about the graphics or specs it is all about fun.

Does anyone have a link to the design document that linus showed for the gamecube motion controller concept? I tried looking online but came up short

PS3 is still pretty good console and actually its now one of cheapest console and easy to mod it ive now got ps3 without CD drive unlocked to install any firmware.

And I've chucked 2 TB and i have second ps3 for ripping thanks to friends they gave me games to rip and for them and me.

The reward is that i can keep copy.

Since ps3 is near dead and I've rather play lan parties or alone so it stays offline anyways.

So... 🤷

And I'm pc gamer anyways and that console is for living room.

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖

I wish the Atari Lynx had taken off - never had the opportunity to use the multiplayer link, but was always hoping to!