UPS for a Seasonic Focus 850W Gold

CrisR82

Thinking of grabbing a UPS for my desktop PC and came across one that seems pretty affordable, but due to literally 0 experience with this stuff, thought I'd ask for some advise.

The UPS I'm looking at is a PowerWalker Basic VI1500STL, specifically this one: https://powerwalker.com/product/10121076/

Currently running a desktop PC with a Seasonic Focus 850W Gold PSU, along with a LG UltraGear 24GN60R-B monitor (30.5W max) and Edifier R1280T speakers (42W).

The questions on my head are:
- Would this one be enough to allow things to work for a little while (maybe 15-30 minutes?) in case of a power outage?

- Not necessarily related to this UPS in particular, but I heard conflicting information that it's generally a bad idea to connect a power bar to a UPS. If this is not the case, looking at this one, it shows a 900W capacity, does this refer to the battery capacity or power if can supply as a whole? For example, if I run the PC setup at it's full capacity, would I be able to still connect a phone (25W) and a Steam Deck (45W) to charge through a power bar in the remaining slot of the 4 it has?

In particular, through the year I have between 5 and 10 instances where the power goes out for short periods of time (5 minutes to 1 hour), so my use case is to avoid the possible side effects (data loss/potential hardware damage) more so than a concern about power spikes or how clean the electricity is.

27 minutes ago, CrisR82 said:

Thinking of grabbing a UPS for my desktop PC and came across one that seems pretty affordable, but due to literally 0 experience with this stuff, thought I'd ask for some advise.

The UPS I'm looking at is a PowerWalker Basic VI1500STL, specifically this one: https://powerwalker.com/product/10121076/

Currently running a desktop PC with a Seasonic Focus 850W Gold PSU, along with a LG UltraGear 24GN60R-B monitor (30.5W max) and Edifier R1280T speakers (42W).

The questions on my head are:
- Would this one be enough to allow things to work for a little while (maybe 15-30 minutes?) in case of a power outage?

- Not necessarily related to this UPS in particular, but I heard conflicting information that it's generally a bad idea to connect a power bar to a UPS. If this is not the case, looking at this one, it shows a 900W capacity, does this refer to the battery capacity or power if can supply as a whole? For example, if I run the PC setup at it's full capacity, would I be able to still connect a phone (25W) and a Steam Deck (45W) to charge through a power bar in the remaining slot of the 4 it has?

In particular, through the year I have between 5 and 10 instances where the power goes out for short periods of time (5 minutes to 1 hour), so my use case is to avoid the possible side effects (data loss/potential hardware damage) more so than a concern about power spikes or how clean the electricity is.

1500VA is a good spot, but under full load, these only last a couple minutes, if any. 

On my rig which'll draw anywhere from 500-700W depending on the scenario/game, it would last just long enough for me to run over the reset the breaker on my old house if it got tripped by something else.

If you're talking about during idle or if you close out a game or heavy application once you lose power, then sure, 10-15mins is possible.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

The PSU wattage don't really matter, what counts is the power consumption

Supposing it's 300W to 500W a 1500VA UPS should last around 10-20min, enough to save work and avoid data loss 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

16 hours ago, Agall said:

1500VA is a good spot, but under full load, these only last a couple minutes, if any. 

On my rig which'll draw anywhere from 500-700W depending on the scenario/game, it would last just long enough for me to run over the reset the breaker on my old house if it got tripped by something else.

If you're talking about during idle or if you close out a game or heavy application once you lose power, then sure, 10-15mins is possible.

16 hours ago, PDifolco said:

The PSU wattage don't really matter, what counts is the power consumption

Supposing it's 300W to 500W a 1500VA UPS should last around 10-20min, enough to save work and avoid data loss 

I usually play games on the Steam Deck, but even when I'm not, the games I play can probably run maxed out on an iGPU without any trouble. I'd say my situation is more about when working with RPG Maker or backing up data on external HDDs.

The main thing I have on my mind when buying hardware is that I want to make sure during a worst-case, it'll be viable for my use-case.

According to those online pc-power-usage calculators, I'm using about 500-600W with my current setup, 10-15 minutes of power would be more than enough to save my work and shut it down properly.

There is still one more question on my mind - the whole power-bar thing - anyone got any personal experience with it? My desk has 2 power outlets, one of which is in-use by an air-conditioner and the other is currently on with a 6-slot power-bar. What I would like to do is plug in the PC, monitor and speakers directly in the UPS, then have a 3-slot power bar in the UPS - these will be used only when I need to charge a phone/the Steam Deck or plug in an external HDD (not during power outages). Would this be possible with this UPS? (reaching out to the back to plugin things every time would be difficult, that's the main reason I'm interested in the power-bar use)