Best case for house with cat

What's the best case for a household with a cat that sheds a lot of hair?  I imagine easily-cleaned intake filters are a must. Luckily, the box is only for modest gaming with no OC or other heat issues. Likely a floor-standing mid-tower.

Anyone have experience with good or bad PC cases for pet owners?

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X • ASUS TUF x570-Plus • Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600 CL16 - 64GB • MSI Radeon RX 6750XT MECH 2X OC w/12GB • bequiet! Pure Base 600 case • Crucial T500 NVMe 1TB (boot / app), P5+ NVMe 500GB (cache / scratch), Seagate Iron Wolf Pro 4TB x2 (RAID 1 for long-term storage), LG WH16NS40 16X Blu-ray/DVD/CD Internal SATA R/W Drive • bequiet! Dark Power 13 1000W • 2x 27" ASUS ProArt PA278QV • bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 5 & bequiet! Silent Wings case fans • Microsoft Sidewinder x4 keyboard • Microsoft Surface Precision Mouse • Logitech S220 w/subwoofer, Sennheiser HD 414 headphones, Audio-Technica ATH-M50xSTS StreamSet headset • Windows 11 (insider builds)

Grab plastic step trap or smol table to put on ground then case on top of it. Would be ideal.

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖

53 minutes ago, tkitch said:

don't leave it on the floor and it won't be that much of a concern.

Does elevating it really make that much of a difference?  I didn't know that.

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X • ASUS TUF x570-Plus • Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600 CL16 - 64GB • MSI Radeon RX 6750XT MECH 2X OC w/12GB • bequiet! Pure Base 600 case • Crucial T500 NVMe 1TB (boot / app), P5+ NVMe 500GB (cache / scratch), Seagate Iron Wolf Pro 4TB x2 (RAID 1 for long-term storage), LG WH16NS40 16X Blu-ray/DVD/CD Internal SATA R/W Drive • bequiet! Dark Power 13 1000W • 2x 27" ASUS ProArt PA278QV • bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 5 & bequiet! Silent Wings case fans • Microsoft Sidewinder x4 keyboard • Microsoft Surface Precision Mouse • Logitech S220 w/subwoofer, Sennheiser HD 414 headphones, Audio-Technica ATH-M50xSTS StreamSet headset • Windows 11 (insider builds)

19 minutes ago, MAXBattle said:

if there dust and dirt on the floor it can be sucked in to the pc well on top it just suck w/e in the air. so long you keep the table clean... but a good case with eazy filters would work fine thow i dont keep track of filters on case these days but alot of them sould be fine.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

1 hour ago, MAXBattle said:

it really does.

on a table will get a fraction of the dust as on the floor.

shut it down before sweeping around it !!! and no matter what clean it out every 3 months of dust and hair !!! re-thermal paste every 6-9 months !!!

15 minutes ago, scruffballz_86 said:

shut it down before sweeping around it !!! and no matter what clean it out every 3 months of dust and hair !!! re-thermal paste every 6-9 months !!!

TF?
No.  None of that makes any sense.

You absolutely do not need to do this stupidity.

On 4/15/2024 at 3:37 PM, thrasher_565 said:

if there dust and dirt on the floor it can be sucked in to the pc well on top it just suck w/e in the air. so long you keep the table clean... but a good case with eazy filters would work fine thow i dont keep track of filters on case these days but alot of them sould be fine.

You guys are making me think about old school desktop / HTPC cases... 🤔    I'm making this as a gift for a family member from mainly my own spare parts (Ryzen 5 3600, ASUS x570-Plus, RX590 8GB Fatboy, Crucial RAM and NVMe SSD... nothing OC).  It looks like I'd have to spend $200 on an HTPC case.  Unless there are better desktop options?

UPDATE... never mind...  desktop won't work where the recipient has PC space.

23 hours ago, tkitch said:

it really does.

on a table will get a fraction of the dust as on the floor.

I've looked at all of the options for the places it could go (in a small apartment) and it looks like we'll have to find a small stand or table to get it up 6-12 inches off of the ground.  Unless... Do I hide it in a closet and use a long video cable and long USB cable and hub for the keyboard and mouse???  DisplayPort can go 50 feet... and nothing will be overclocked.

In any case, I think the solution will be something like a bequiet Pure Base 600, which I've built with in the past and for which I've got some extra parts, if needed.

I really appreciate everyone's input and assistance.  Thank you!

1 hour ago, MAXBattle said:

I've looked at all of the options for the places it could go (in a small apartment) and it looks like we'll have to find a small stand or table to get it up 6-12 inches off of the ground.  Unless... Do I hide it in a closet and use a long video cable and long USB cable and hub for the keyboard and mouse???  DisplayPort can go 50 feet... and nothing will be overclocked.

In any case, I think the solution will be something like a bequiet Pure Base 600, which I've built with in the past and for which I've got some extra parts, if needed.

I really appreciate everyone's input and assistance.  Thank you!

you dont have to put it on a table just you were asking about dust and its best if its not on the ground. it will be fine on the ground anyway.

if its on carpet you can just add something solid under it.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

I have my computer sitting on an end table, so its maybe 36 inches off the floor. My cat loves to lay on my Torrent, and I dont really mind that much as long as I have a screw holding the top panel on 🙂

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

21 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

you dont have to put it on a table just you were asking about dust and its best if its not on the ground. it will be fine on the ground anyway.

if its on carpet you can just add something solid under it.

OK... one more thought...  What if I set it up to suck air from the TOP of the case (with a nice mesh filter) with a couple of 140's and then blow it out the back (and maybe even a bit from the front, so an upside-down Y airflow)?  Maybe I'd leave the front passive and just have an exhaust fan at the back and a pair of input fans on top.  Wouldn't the outbound air at the front keep crap from getting in from the floor?  As I mentioned, I'm looking at bequiet cases, like the 500 and 600 and I can do a solid front panel with air inlets down the sides of the front.

2 hours ago, MAXBattle said:

OK... one more thought...  What if I set it up to suck air from the TOP of the case (with a nice mesh filter) with a couple of 140's and then blow it out the back (and maybe even a bit from the front, so an upside-down Y airflow)?  Maybe I'd leave the front passive and just have an exhaust fan at the back and a pair of input fans on top.  Wouldn't the outbound air at the front keep crap from getting in from the floor?  As I mentioned, I'm looking at bequiet cases, like the 500 and 600 and I can do a solid front panel with air inlets down the sides of the front.

your way over thinning is dont worry about dust it can be cleaned. cats like to sit on top of case. unless you add something to the top that they dont like what i dont no...

scarf icing cooling for dust is stupid.

On 4/15/2024 at 6:18 PM, MAXBattle said:

I have a shelving unit with a PC on the shelf 18" off the floor and one at 5' off the floor.

The top one gets much less dust.

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

Cleaning your filters every 3 month or so should be good enough, if you have actual filters.

Those "mesh" dont really count, my space heater have those as filter and after 3 month its still incredibly dusty.

I use what's effectively these, Frost King Air Conditioner Filter, and they prove to be highly effective. 3 months, the filter has turned mostly white (but not fully clogged), but the inside is basically spotless.

They are decently restrictive, and may need modification to your case (or filter mount) to work, but they do work really well. They are also really cheap.

One of my cases is a Dell sff (Optiplex 70xx), the other is an old workstation (3D Boxx). They are all simple front-backs.
I shoved a piece behind the bezel on the dell, and the 3D Boxx come with a filter plate.

Keeping positive pressure definitely helps control dust, as you can control where air enters your case.

Both the Dell and the Boxx are set up as workstation/servers and have very long uptimes (maybe average 16 hours a day). So not too dissimilar to the space heater runtime.

There is no way I am putting my 3D Boxx on my table (it's a giant eatx full tower), but the result is somewhat mixed.

On the ground, there seem to be more of the "black dust" type, whereas on the table it seems to be more of the "white dust" type.

I would imagine you would get slightly more dust, but much heavier dust, when on the ground, but the amount isnt too different. For me, at least.

I live in a fairly small room.