VPN for TV?

Hello,

I have subscription for Amazon Prime and Netflix so I can watch on TV.

Some shows are unavaliable in my country, so I was thinking what was the best solution.

Since my LG WebOs does not support any VPNs installation, I am stuck and don't know what to do.

Been searching for setting up VPN in the router but I can't seem to find any settings in the Huawei EG8145V5 model. 

Also, since I am already subscribed to couple of platforms do I need to pay more money just to watch some shows because they are not available due to the location?

I have a feeling this is getting ridiculous and more expensive then it should be.

Any cheap or smart suggestions? 

You could setup your own firewall with a VPN. Should check with your VPN provider if they allow setting it up yourself with OpenVPN or IPSec. Just remember that you'll need to another way to connect to your WiFi through that device, whether getting a firewall/router that has wireless access or buying a standalone AP. And you'll probably want to set your ONT to modem only mode to avoid double NAT. 

6 hours ago, DarkScott said:

Hello,

I have subscription for Amazon Prime and Netflix so I can watch on TV.

Some shows are unavaliable in my country, so I was thinking what was the best solution.

Since my LG WebOs does not support any VPNs installation, I am stuck and don't know what to do.

Been searching for setting up VPN in the router but I can't seem to find any settings in the Huawei EG8145V5 model. 

Also, since I am already subscribed to couple of platforms do I need to pay more money just to watch some shows because they are not available due to the location?

I have a feeling this is getting ridiculous and more expensive then it should be.

Any cheap or smart suggestions? 

Use your TV as a monitor. Run the vpn on your computer.

I bought an android tv device to use with NordVPN (among other things) - nvidia shield pro for me. The Walmart onn box is a good price-effective option. 

On 4/14/2024 at 1:30 PM, DarkScott said:

so I was thinking what was the best solution

Netflix blocks VPN's, due to licensing  restrictions. Not sure about Amazon but Id guess they do the same.  So bear in mind if you find a VPN that works, It might not be a long term solution. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 4/17/2024 at 7:48 PM, Donut417 said:

Netflix blocks VPN's, due to licensing  restrictions. Not sure about Amazon but Id guess they do the same.  So bear in mind if you find a VPN that works, It might not be a long term solution. 

Especially so if you use more of the popular VPN services. If you use a smaller but still reputable VPN service, you could have better luck. But it's a constant cat-and-mouse game of VPN's using new exit IPs and CDNs blocking them. Also if you use public DNS servers (OpenDNS, Cloudflare, etc) and not the VPN DNS, that can help a little bit too.

On 4/14/2024 at 7:39 PM, seanondemand said:

I bought an android tv device to use with NordVPN (among other things) - nvidia shield pro for me. The Walmart onn box is a good price-effective option. 

FWIW: You can do this on an AppleTV also.

I like smart home and home theater tech.

My 5.1 setup consists of: Sony x90cj 75" TV, Yamaha RX-V4A Receiver, Apple TV 4k gen 2, SVS SB-1000 Pro Sub, KEF Q350 L/R, KEF Q250c Center, KEF Q150 rears.

My smart home is based around Home Assistant.

On 4/25/2024 at 8:11 AM, ender23 said:

FWIW: You can do this on an AppleTV also.

This is true! I did it a couple years ago before that was added to tvOS