how many more years 32(16X2) GB RAM would be relevant for 1440p gaming?

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
7 minutes ago, EzioWar said:

but can someone plz give a rough estimate of how many more years 32(16X2) GB RAM would be relevant for 1440p gaming?

Considering how it took ~10 years from the time 16GB of RAM became necessary to now when it's barely good enough, I'd hazard a guess that it would take ~10 years. 

Even if it didn't though, 4 DIMMs on DDR5 is not something you want to mess with. Mixing RAM on DDR5 kits can end up with some weird issues, and even if you end up with the exact same memory kit and it still works, 4 DIMMs can still result in significantly lower memory speeds and thus performance. As far as I'm concerned, 2 DIMM boards should be the standard for DDR5 as you really shouldn't use those extra DIMM slots anyway. If you'd have to replace your DIMMs anyway to get decent memory speeds to work, a 2 DIMM board is no worse. 

Sorry if it's a stupid question, but can someone plz give a rough estimate of how many more years 32(16X2) GB DDR5 RAM would be relevant for 1440p gaming? this is important cause i'm deciding if i'll buy ASRock B650M HDV/M.2 or not cause it has only 2X ram slots.

7 minutes ago, EzioWar said:

but can someone plz give a rough estimate of how many more years 32(16X2) GB RAM would be relevant for 1440p gaming?

Considering how it took ~10 years from the time 16GB of RAM became necessary to now when it's barely good enough, I'd hazard a guess that it would take ~10 years. 

Even if it didn't though, 4 DIMMs on DDR5 is not something you want to mess with. Mixing RAM on DDR5 kits can end up with some weird issues, and even if you end up with the exact same memory kit and it still works, 4 DIMMs can still result in significantly lower memory speeds and thus performance. As far as I'm concerned, 2 DIMM boards should be the standard for DDR5 as you really shouldn't use those extra DIMM slots anyway. If you'd have to replace your DIMMs anyway to get decent memory speeds to work, a 2 DIMM board is no worse. 

When you're talking about (texture-)resolution, the primary concern is VRAM, not RAM. I would expect RAM requirements for games to increase when a new console generation comes out that has significantly more than 16 GB.

And as was said, for stability reasons you typically want to only use 2 RAM sticks anyway. If need be, you can always upgrade to 2x32 GB.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Resolution has no impact on RAM usage.

But I would say 32GB is enough now, and in the near future will start to result in slowdowns as games and Windows get more bloated. BTW RAM usage isn't a reliable indicator for having enough, because Windows will always move stuff to the swap file if necessary.

I have 64GB and just got finished with a PUBG match, while also running Outlook and OBS. My max RAM usage per HWInfo64 is 24GB. I have 64GB

In 2024 with RAM priced how it is, even if 32GB is likely more than is needed right now, it's cheap (enough) to get into a 2x16GB kit if you're building a new machine. It's certainly worth a little more up-front to not be buying a whole new kit later since your board only has 2 slots.

I cannot recall seeing any consumer software or game that recommends 32GB yet, but they'll be here soon enough. 

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

23 minutes ago, daygeckoart said:

Resolution has no impact on RAM usage.

But I would say 32GB is enough now, and in the near future will start to result in slowdowns as games and Windows get more bloated. BTW RAM usage isn't a reliable indicator for having enough, because Windows will always move stuff to the swap file if necessary.

I have 64GB and just got finished with a PUBG match, while also running Outlook and OBS. My max RAM usage per HWInfo64 is 24GB. I have 64GB

does your system ever use more than 32 gb?

The amount of RAM used by games usually depends on how much is available on the latest console generation. So if you have nothing else open on your PC, 16 GB is still enough for almost all games currently, as the current console generation has only 16 GB of RAM as well (and that is combined CPU and GPU RAM!).

So my guess would be, that you'd be fine for at least the next console generation, if you get 32 GB of ram. All of that changes, if you have like 16 GB worth of other programs running in the background though!
You CPU/GPU will likely get less relevant before you will need more than 32 GB of RAM for gaming though. So don't worry about that too much.

I don't feel we're past needing more than 16GB yet for gaming. Note there's two ways to look at it: 1, can you game at a good level with 16GB. Absolutely. 2, are there scenarios where having more than 16GB can provide a better experience, also yes. It is not a hard cutoff, but a gradual transition.

With that out of the way, I guess about 10 years seems a good figure between each shift in capacity. When were we asking is 8GB was enough? Around 2015 perhaps? I think the move to 32 for gaming systems is also driven in part driven by DDR5. If you care about performance, 16GB modules are much better than the 8GB ones, so 2x8GB is not a good option for DDR5.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

13 hours ago, EzioWar said:

does your system ever use more than 32 gb?

Yes but I don't think with gaming. I ran a photogrammetry process last night (building 3D model from photos) and max was 43 gigabytes

image.thumb.png.ff2d0709682efab2a73a165a204ca04d.png

Btw i'll also gonna stream my gaming on twitch using OBS, and video editting, will that require more than 32gb ram?

On 4/12/2024 at 9:30 PM, EzioWar said:

Btw i'll also gonna stream my gaming on twitch using OBS, and video editting, will that require more than 32gb ram?

I think 32GB is fine for now.

BTW here is a good comparison video I found