Can't plug in the +4 pin connector

Either it's too short to reach where it needs to go or I can only plug the 4 pin or the 20 pin either. The cable is already just a bit too short. I never had this issue on my last PC. Can I get away with just the 20 pin? I'm planning on using PBO for an overclock but that's it

Title. My hands are pretty big and especially with the huge cooler I just can't connect those pins. Can someone please help me with a solution because I really don't know what to do right now.

PXL_20240412_042311517.jpg

You have to attach the 4 pin to the 20 pin and put them in the socket together at the same time.

What's the brand and model of the PSU that the cables are a bit short?

Pliers?

Align it then use the tips to push down on it until it clicks.

Caroline doesn't need to hear all this, she's a highly trained professional.

The solutions I've used the couple of times I've had this happen:

1. Talk someone else with smaller hands into doing it for you. Not always an option, but useful when it is. 
  2. Just get really good at maneuvering the 8 pin with just two fingers. This takes a lot of practice, but eventually it's doable since there should be enough space for your hand to get there flat and have enough range of motion on two fingers to manage this. . 
  3. Install it before you install the motherboard assuming it's a modular PSU.
  4. Remove the cooler and install that afterward. This is likely your best option here. 

unscrew the motherboard and kind of pull it down a bit so you can fit in there to plug it in, then screw the motherboard.
should be ez with a magnetic tip screwdriver and no need for thermal paste like if you pull the cooler

If applyable, unscrew the top panel of your case.

You could also align the connectors and fixate them with a bit of tape or cable ties so it's easier to push them in to the socket. I'd reccomend cable ties because they are easier to remove once the connector is installed. I've used super glue in the past too, but it's better to use a less permanent solution. Worst case a little bit of glue leaks out and your connector and socket are fused forever.

Remove the cooler or the board and plug it in. It's a good thing to try and always plug this in before the board is stuck as its the hardest cable usually to plug in.

Same if there is a fan header up there you need

6 hours ago, --SID-- said:

You have to attach the 4 pin to the 20 pin and put them in the socket together at the same time.

What's the brand and model of the PSU that the cables are a bit short?

It's a Pure Power 12 M 1000W but I swear the cable to just too short. Im having some different issues so I'm going to remove the board from the case and try it with just the cable later today.

2 hours ago, jaslion said:

Remove the cooler or the board and plug it in. It's a good thing to try and always plug this in before the board is stuck as its the hardest cable usually to plug in.

Same if there is a fan header up there you need

Figured that out the hard way lol. I'm going to remove the board from the case and see if there's anything I can install without removing the cooler because I don't have anymore thermal paste.

6 hours ago, Aleph256 said:

If applyable, unscrew the top panel of your case.

I actually thought of this earlier today but I don't know what screws my case uses. It's a fractal design pop air case and it has these hexagon things. Could you find it out for me please?

PXL_20240412_042755862.jpg

Screenshot_20240412-065207.png

6 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The solutions I've used the couple of times I've had this happen:

1. Talk someone else with smaller hands into doing it for you. Not always an option, but useful when it is. 
  2. Just get really good at maneuvering the 8 pin with just two fingers. This takes a lot of practice, but eventually it's doable since there should be enough space for your hand to get there flat and have enough range of motion on two fingers to manage this. . 
  3. Install it before you install the motherboard assuming it's a modular PSU.
  4. Remove the cooler and install that afterward. This is likely your best option here. 

Praying on #3 working for me I really don't want to wait a week for thermal paste to come in the mail

unscrew the motherboard and carefully move it down to the right until you can get the plug at least started in the socket, then it's just a matter of pushing down.

24 minutes ago, Imapancake22 said:

I actually thought of this earlier today but I don't know what screws my case uses. It's a fractal design pop air case and it has these hexagon things. Could you find it out for me please?

PXL_20240412_042755862.jpg

Screenshot_20240412-065207.png

Those are rivets. Basically one time use compress stuff togheter nails. Only way to remove is drill them out.

So yeah don't do that 😛

I'm going to get an extension cable for it but in the meantime it's too short to plug in. Will my PC break if I turn it on and not have it plugged in?

what motherboard, what cpu, and what +4?

if you're running some i5 on a board with 8 + 4 cpu power connectors, that's fine.

if you're running some threadripper or epyc, you want all of it plugged in.

4 minutes ago, Imapancake22 said:

I'm going to get an extension cable for it but in the meantime it's too short to plug in. Will my PC break if I turn it on and not have it plugged in?

you dont need to have 3 topics on the same plug. Just take off the cooler and plug it in. Stop being lazy.

35 minutes ago, Imapancake22 said:

I'm going to get an extension cable for it but in the meantime it's too short to plug in.

Then wait until it arrives and don't make an elephant out of it??

36 minutes ago, Imapancake22 said:

Will my PC break if I turn it on and not have it plugged in?

No Power = PC not turning on = No Gaming :). 
But seriously now:

No, it will not brake since it's just gonna perform poorly since it's missing power, but it wont break.

Also: What CPU do you have? cuz like @manikyath said before:

37 minutes ago, manikyath said:

if you're running some i5 on a board with 8 + 4 cpu power connectors, that's fine.

I am NOT a professional and I write before I think, so REFRESH THE PAGE!!!  Theres a 99% chance I've edited my post.

Also: Please enable XMP/D.O.H.C before asking why your ram is too slow.

8-pin EPS is capable of over 300W alone. Unless you're going to be cooling an i9 with something exotic, its completely unnecessary. 

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

what motherboard, what cpu, and what +4?

Ryzen 7 7800x3d. Asus rog strix x670e

59 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

8-pin EPS is capable of over 300W alone. Unless you're going to be cooling an i9 with something exotic, its completely unnecessary. 

Good to know thanks 

-= Topics Merged =-

Please refrain from reposting your topic.

Keep comments civil.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

15 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

-= Topics Merged =-

Please refrain from reposting your topic.

Keep comments civil.

Ye my bad