Wii U and 3DS Multiplayer Servers Closing Today

Summary

On April 8th, 2024 at 4PM PDT the Online play servers for the Wii U and 3DS will shut down permanently. This means that online functionality such as Online play, SpotPass, and internet rankings will all cease to function. Features like the internet browser will still work.

Quotes

Thank you very much for supporting our products.

At 4pm PDT on April 8, 2024, online play and other functionality that uses online communication will end for Nintendo 3DS* and Wii U software. This also includes online co-operative play, internet rankings, and data distribution.

My thoughts

We all knew it'd happen someday, but it's still sad to see these go. The Wii U was the first game console I received as a gift, and I have years of memories playing with my brothers on the Wii U.

What really sucks is how this is going to break the core functionality of a ton of games (with a primary focus on Super Mario Maker) that rely on Online functionality. These games will nearly entirely cease to work without outside community servers like Pretendo. 

I guess the cheering should go to Microsoft for continuing to support the Xbox 360 (even if the store support is ending this summer) for so dang long. Once it starts outlasting consoles from the generation after, I'd call that some dedication from Microsoft. 

Sources

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/63227/~/announcement-of-discontinuation-of-online-services-for-nintendo-3ds-and-wii-u 

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

Also absolute kudos to Ubisoft right here.

Fun fact: Just Dance continued to release on the original Wii until 2021, four years after the Wii Shop closed and online functionality ceased.

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

I have both a switch and a Wii U, and only ever had the original Mario Maker. I kind of wanted to get Mario Maker 2, but after crap like this, I don't want to give them more money for a game that will become worthless.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

3 minutes ago, Kid.Lazer said:

I have both a switch and a Wii U, and only ever had the original Mario Maker. I kind of wanted to get Mario Maker 2, but after crap like this, I don't want to give them more money for a game that will become worthless.

Offline functionality in Mario Maker 1 still works, you can't just play other peoples' courses.

12 minutes ago, GoStormPlays said:

Summary

On April 8th, 2024 at 4PM PDT the Online play servers for the Wii U and 3DS will shut down permanently. This means that online functionality such as Online play, SpotPass, and internet rankings will all cease to function. Features like the internet browser will still work.

Quotes

My thoughts

We all knew it'd happen someday, but it's still sad to see these go. The Wii U was the first game console I received as a gift, and I have years of memories playing with my brothers on the Wii U.

What really sucks is how this is going to break the core functionality of a ton of games (with a primary focus on Super Mario Maker) that rely on Online functionality. These games will nearly entirely cease to work without outside community servers like Pretendo. 

I guess the cheering should go to Microsoft for continuing to support the Xbox 360 (even if the store support is ending this summer) for so dang long. Once it starts outlasting consoles from the generation after, I'd call that some dedication from Microsoft. 

Sources

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/63227/~/announcement-of-discontinuation-of-online-services-for-nintendo-3ds-and-wii-u 

I still have both the Wii U and 3DS (in my flat in Italy). I never went on multiplayer mostly because we never bothered to get internet in Italy since we only go there for holidays but it's still sad that it's gone, I had used it while it was still with me in the UK and I had even played some maps on super mario maker

the 3DS is the bigger one for me though mostly due to animal crossing. I had fun in that game but all good things 

1 minute ago, GoStormPlays said:

you can't just play other peoples' courses.

that was most of the fun, at least for me. And made great rage clips from Daz

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

4 minutes ago, GoStormPlays said:

Offline functionality in Mario Maker 1 still works, you can't just play other peoples' courses.

I mean, that's kinda the whole point though.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

Appropriate

Spoiler

image.png.6843521dbf81850b34f214170c3d4f3e.png

Spoiler

Yes, I already did make an SU about this

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

Just now, Lightwreather said:

Appropriate

Hide contents

image.png.6843521dbf81850b34f214170c3d4f3e.png

Hide contents

Yes, I already did make an SU about this

when you start pirating Nintendo games:

On 4/8/2024 at 11:22 AM, Kid.Lazer said:

I'm confused, you wanted Mario Maker 1 on a console that was universally panned but won't buy Mario Maker 2 on one of the most successful consoles of all time? Mario Maker 2 has significantly more features, courses, and players. Wii U was dead on arrival. Mario Maker 2 is Nintendo making up for past mistakes. There's nothing wrong with closing down obsolete game services no one is using anymore

And this is why self hosted dedicated servers exist.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

10 hours ago, Eaglerino said:

There's nothing wrong with closing down obsolete game services no one is using anymore

I got on Super Mario Maker 1 recently. There was still a decent amount of people playing and releasing courses for it.

Those systems really deserved so much better than the lot they got. Both were sabotaged almost immediately in different ways, and it meant a quick move away from what was the Nintendo generation I had been most excited for going in (and I've been on board since the SNES days).

13 hours ago, Eaglerino said:

I'm confused, you wanted Mario Maker 1 on a console that was universally panned but won't buy Mario Maker 2 on one of the most successful consoles of all time? Mario Maker 2 has significantly more features, courses, and players. Wii U was dead on arrival. Mario Maker 2 is Nintendo making up for past mistakes. There's nothing wrong with closing down obsolete game services no one is using anymore

Super Mario Maker 1 still had a dedicated community, particularly due to the amiibo costume support along with some other features that didn't make it into the sequel. Not to mention how you could get SMM1 courses for free due to Nintendo Network (the 3DS/Wii U online infrastructure) being a free service, whereas SMM2 requires a paid Nintendo Switch Online membership for its online features (like all Switch games), including just downloading courses.

Also, "commercial failure" doesn't mean "bad". I'll keep banging that Wii U drum until the day I die.

OWNED CONSOLES [ INTV | NES | SNES | GG | N64 | GBCPS1 | GCN | GBA/GBA SPDC | PS2 | Wii | DS Lite/DSi | Wii U | 3DS/XL/nXL | Switch ] PLANNED ( XSX | Amico ) TV: E420VL + CT-26WX15N

GAMING PC/WORKSTATION [ Aether Case: FD Focus G Mini | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3950X (16c32t @3.5GHz) | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3600MHz | Mobo: Aorus X570 mITX | PSU: SSR-600TL

OS: Win10 Pro | SSD: WD SN750 1TB NVMe | HDD: 4TB WD Black | KB/M: Dell Multimedia USB Hub Keyboard (SK-8135) + Logitech G903 HERO | Display: ASUS VE248H + Dell E177FP | Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB Wireless

HTPC/HOME SERVER [ Phazon Case: Antec 900 Two | CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black (4c4t @3.67GHz) | GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB | RAM: 12GB (2x4GB+2x2GB) DDR3 @1400MHz | Mobo: MSI 870A-G54 | PSU: SSR-450PL

OS: Win10 Pro | SSD: Crucial 240GB SATA | HDD: 8TB HGST Ultrastar + 750GB WD Caviar Green + 200 GB Seagate | KB/M: Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Desktop 7000

I'm confused, you wanted Mario Maker 1 on a console that was universally panned but won't buy Mario Maker 2 on one of the most successful consoles of all time? [...] Wii U was dead on arrival

You act like I bought both the console and the game last week. I have owned both of them since launch. (as a side note, my 5 and 7 year-old kids like the Wii U console and games better than the Switch).

Mario Maker 2 has significantly more features, courses, and players. [...] Mario Maker 2 is Nintendo making up for past mistakes.

But none of that changes the fact that the core gameplay is based on online connectivity, which is now gone. I'm simply "voting with my wallet" by not buying the newer one. Will they care about one lost sale? Certainly not, but that's my choice.

There's nothing wrong with closing down obsolete game services no one is using anymore

I agree, except it wasn't obsolete, and there was still an active player base. Plus, do you really think Nintendo cares how many active players there were? Mark my words, the same thing will happen to Mario Maker 2, regardless of how much more successful the console or game is.

Primary Gaming Rig:

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

2 minutes ago, Kid.Lazer said:

But none of that changes the fact that the core gameplay is based on online connectivity, which is now gone. I'm simply "voting with my wallet" by not buying the newer one. Will they care about one lost sale? Certainly not, but that's my choice.

Even after the switch version goes kapoof (which will likely not happen anytime soon, especially if Nintendo's next console is a direct successor to the Switch and not a whole new console entirely), there will likely be an equivalent piece of software to Pretendo.

4 minutes ago, Kid.Lazer said:

Plus, do you really think Nintendo cares how many active players there were?

Probably so, Nintendo isn't one to just delete functionality from your console just because they want you to buy their new consoles. Plus, if the player base was really large, then if they deleted those servers then a bunch of people would get mad.

All companies have to care somewhat.

I feel like if a company is successful it should be imperative for them provide continued online support for probably 20ish years - even if the service is somewhat degraded and the SLA is basically non-existent. 

Nintendo is doing alright and there's actual business value in keeping customers confident in the company. 

How much can a couple of servers cost?

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

1 minute ago, cmndr said:

How much can a couple of servers cost?

Considering there's a lot of backend upkeep involved with keeping up servers for something plus servers all around the world, I would guess a good bit.

But I do agree with you, they should keep it up for at least 15-20 years. I mean, it's only been like seven since Mario Maker 1 launched.

13 minutes ago, GoStormPlays said:

Considering there's a lot of backend upkeep involved with keeping up servers for something plus servers all around the world, I would guess a good bit.

But I do agree with you, they should keep it up for at least 15-20 years. I mean, it's only been like seven since Mario Maker 1 launched.

I'm imagining things here but... containerized services and server consolidation... if it used to take 1000 servers it probably takes 10 now after factoring in reduced use and the fact that a 2U system can now have 256 cores, that are ~2x as powerful  per core vs the 16 core systems of 2012. Only a ~30x improvement in density... and probably more than that in terms of capacity needs. There's still probably some benefit to having local servers though (think NA-west, NA-east, Europe, JP, SEA, etc.)

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

4 hours ago, VinLAURiA said:

Also, "commercial failure" doesn't mean "bad". I'll keep banging that Wii U drum until the day I die.

I bought SMM1 and 2, but I feel Nintendo dropped the ball hard.

Nintendo should have brought SMM to Xbox, PS5, iPadOS and Windows. There was no excuse not to, as bringing it to as many devices as possible would do exactly what SMM was meant to do, which is let people create and exchange ideas. No need to pirate mario 1/2/3/world/land/nSMB, you can just re-create those stages in SMM

Now instead we're just going to have to wait for the "Palworld" Mario Maker.

3 minutes ago, Kisai said:

I bought SMM1 and 2, but I feel Nintendo dropped the ball hard.

Nintendo should have brought SMM to Xbox, PS5, iPadOS and Windows. There was no excuse not to, as bringing it to as many devices as possible would do exactly what SMM was meant to do, which is let people create and exchange ideas. No need to pirate mario 1/2/3/world/land/nSMB, you can just re-create those stages in SMM

Now instead we're just going to have to wait for the "Palworld" Mario Maker.

It's a Nintendo exclusive. Why would they bring that to another platform?

7 minutes ago, GoStormPlays said:

It's a Nintendo exclusive. Why would they bring that to another platform?

To get people to buy their other Mario games on their platform.

Think "loss leaders" in grocery stores. You get people into your store by selling something you want, where you want it, at a price that is a bargain. 

Again, Nintendo drops the ball on this all the time and fundamentally hasn't learned this in 40 years. It's not the 1980's anymore, game consoles, and Nintendo can't keep pretending like it is, or other products will just make them obsolete.

Like even among tech people, we all know the switch is a disappointment when it's compared to iPad's, xbox and playstations. We know gaming PC's lap all of these devices.

Nintendo can't sell you a 400 dollar console that only does 720p when it's competitors are selling 4K consoles for 600 dollars, and an ipad is 300 dollars.

4 hours ago, GoStormPlays said:

Probably so, Nintendo isn't one to just delete functionality from your console just because they want you to buy their new consoles. Plus, if the player base was really large, then if they deleted those servers then a bunch of people would get mad.

*Looks at 3DS* Yeah, Nintendo definedly would do exactly that. And isn't even this thread exactly people getting angry for Nintendo closing the servers?

And no, the overpriced plastic screened Nvidia Shield Tablet is the very last "console" I would ever buy.

1 hour ago, Kisai said:

To get people to buy their other Mario games on their platform.

Think "loss leaders" in grocery stores. You get people into your store by selling something you want, where you want it, at a price that is a bargain. 

Again, Nintendo drops the ball on this all the time and fundamentally hasn't learned this in 40 years. It's not the 1980's anymore, game consoles, and Nintendo can't keep pretending like it is, or other products will just make them obsolete.

Like even among tech people, we all know the switch is a disappointment when it's compared to iPad's, xbox and playstations. We know gaming PC's lap all of these devices.

Nintendo can't sell you a 400 dollar console that only does 720p when it's competitors are selling 4K consoles for 600 dollars, and an ipad is 300 dollars.

Nintendo developed Mario and has every right to put Mario on whatever platform they want. By that logic, you could say that Chick-Fil-A should have to sell their sandwiches at McDonald's. 

The Switch isn't a disappointment by any standards. Graphic or processing power doesn't mean that much if you don't fall too far behind. Remember, the Wii was introduced with a max resolution of 480p with most games not even running at widescreen a long time after the Xbox 360 was introduced with full 1080p support. The Wii, by no means, was not a successful console.

Nintendo's cheapest Switch retails for $200 US, and its most expensive Switch is $350 US. The cheapest iPad is $330 and doesn't even have an Apple Silicon chip. I doubt it could even run Switch games at a decent speed.

37 minutes ago, Thaldor said:

*Looks at 3DS* Yeah, Nintendo definedly would do exactly that. And isn't even this thread exactly people getting angry for Nintendo closing the servers?

And no, the overpriced plastic screened Nvidia Shield Tablet is the very last "console" I would ever buy.

What instance of this happened with the 3DS?

1 hour ago, GoStormPlays said:

Nintendo developed Mario and has every right to put Mario on whatever platform they want. By that logic, you could say that Chick-Fil-A should have to sell their sandwiches at McDonald's. 

That's not even remotely the same thing. A video game is not a turducken of different brands. McDonalds and Chick-fil-a are getting their chicken from exactly the same place and they only differ by the oil it's fried in and the seasonings on the batter. There is a reason why every damn chicken restaurant sells "popcorn chicken" despite that being a KFC thing. Because that's what people want when they go to chicken restaurants. Chicken bucket, chicken strips, chicken nuggets, and popcorn chicken. 

By that analogy, every platform should have it's own "Mario" reskin of the generic Unity platformer tutorial game.

Software is not inherently married to the hardware. The only reason to not put your game on everything is because the development cost for the development hardware and/or Apple/Google's godforsaken inability to develop using performant software using your own tools. 

The Switch isn't a disappointment by any standards. 

The switch was a large step backwards from the WiiU in terms of performance.

Nintendo's cheapest Switch retails for $200 US, and its most expensive Switch is $350 US. The cheapest iPad is $330 and doesn't even have an Apple Silicon chip. I doubt it could even run Switch games at a decent speed.

image.png.41d47477e6010c2f79e0780ce88e02e7.png

Plus the nerfed Lite model:

image.png.10251b4427d526ccbbe487e3bce7ee33.png

image.png.061ebd01256ff37aa5e50625a002ad6d.png

image.thumb.png.fb407233af6f85ca12069a012853d583.png

image.png.eb2fe44854a4b3cd6188cfcdfae8680d.pngimage.png.42b30a24dd9d354ea04ea95fc2726aa4.png