Network setup in new apartment

Hi everyone!

I recently bought a new apartment that will be built soon. Since it is in construction i would to plan how to run the cables across the rooms.

Attached you can find the floor plan.

I'm not sure yet, but i believe that my ISP router will be in the kitchen. I would like to have 2 cables for each bedroom (1 for access point or anything else and 1 for security camera) and maybe 1 for each balcony (for security camera).

In the kitchen i would also have a Nas, a mini pc and a Hikvision NVR.

What is the setup for my needs?

Asset 2.png

Seems odd to put the ISP box in the kitchen to me. I'd setup a little network cabient. There are wall inset ones that are pretty common in my area. Then put the isp box in there, and run cables to all the rooms from there. Then you can make a patch panel like setup in there, and get a switch to connect all the cables.

6 hours ago, leviackerman91 said:

Hi everyone!

I recently bought a new apartment that will be built soon. Since it is in construction i would to plan how to run the cables across the rooms.

Attached you can find the floor plan.

I'm not sure yet, but i believe that my ISP router will be in the kitchen. I would like to have 2 cables for each bedroom (1 for access point or anything else and 1 for security camera) and maybe 1 for each balcony (for security camera).

In the kitchen i would also have a Nas, a mini pc and a Hikvision NVR.

What is the setup for my needs?

Thee is no livingroom/common area?

What country are you in? What is the typical construction material? Concrete?

16 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Seems odd to put the ISP box in the kitchen to me. I'd setup a little network cabient. There are wall inset ones that are pretty common in my area. Then put the isp box in there, and run cables to all the rooms from there. Then you can make a patch panel like setup in there, and get a switch to connect all the cables.

Unfortunately I don't have enough space to put a dedicated cabinet. 

The isp box will be in the kitchen because that where the fiber cable from isp will be. 

10 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Thee is no livingroom/common area?

What country are you in? What is the typical construction material? Concrete?

The living room will be in the kitchen room as well, like an open space. 

I'm based in Italy, the outside walls will be in soft armoured concrete, the inside ones I believe in concrete as based, but every wall would be covered by a drywall layer

Have an outlet installed on a high shelf in the walk-in closet, then have at least one Cat6 run from there to each other room. When you move in, install your network switch there. You'll also have room for a small NAS appliance if you want to use one.

Having the ISP modem near the edge of your place is less than ideal for WiFI coverage, but if it can be somewhere near the top left corner of the kitchen it should be fine. (If not, you may be able to put it in "bridge mode" and install whichever router and access points you want.) People tend to go overboard; there is such a thing as having too many WiFi access points.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

9 hours ago, leviackerman91 said:

Unfortunately I don't have enough space to put a dedicated cabinet. 

The isp box will be in the kitchen because that where the fiber cable from isp will be. 

Not a full rack, but a inset network cabient, like this one. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-21-in-Structured-Media-Enclosure-White-47605-21E/302079248.

Those should fit pretty easily in most walls, and have a door to hide them.

You should also be able to extend the fiber to other rooms or locations. If your already running ethernet in the walls this should be easy to do.

thanks for the replies, we are making some changes to the internal structure plan, i'll update the post once they are final to have a better idea

If you want to build the network in the closet you should be able to run your ISP box in modem only mode and have an ethernet cable go to a dedicated router in the closet.