How can I destroy the RGB of my fans?

ArmyFrame

I recently got a case called Galax revolution 5 and it has 4 rgb fans that have the RGB connected straight to the power button switch with no software or anything to turn them off, So what would be the best to go about just destroying the RGB or cutting a specific wire to keep the fan running but not the RGB

I also can't get new fans at the moment as I'm on a very strict budget. 

this is how they are connected; I wonder if one of these wires is for the RGB and the other one for the power? 

LMC_20240407_030959_lmc_8.4.jpg

LMC_20240407_160032_lmc_8.4.jpg

no, those are power.

the Edge one is +12V the middle one is Ground.

They control both the fan spin AND RGB.  

you got cheap fans, you can't do anything about the colors, sorry.

But, you can easily replace them cheaply:  Arctic P12 PWM PST Fans are about 25$ for a 5 pack of fans generally.

2 minutes ago, tkitch said:

no, those are power.

the Edge one is +12V the middle one is Ground.

They control both the fan spin AND RGB.  

you got cheap fans, you can't do anything about the colors, sorry.

But, you can easily replace them cheaply:  Arctic P12 PWM PST Fans are about 25$ for a 5 pack of fans generally.

how about physically removing the rgb from them? 

You could remove the LEDs from the fans, and cut the wires there.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

You could remove the LEDs from the fans, and cut the wires there.

I'm afraid of messing it up I can't find any such tutorial online

Just now, ArmyFrame said:

if you didn't realize that you needed two wires to power a spinning fan?

I question your ability to do that without outright destroying the fans in the process. 

Just now, ArmyFrame said:

I'm afraid of messing it up I can't find any such tutorial online

They're probably placed within the frame with some epoxy/bonding material to hold them in place. Shouldn't be too difficult to remove them from the frame and cut the wires.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

1 minute ago, tkitch said:

if you didn't realize that you needed two wires to power a spinning fan?

I question your ability to do that without outright destroying the fans in the process. 

Yeah Iam not that smart with electronics sorry

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

They're probably placed within the frame with some epoxy/bonding material to hold them in place. Shouldn't be too difficult to remove them from the frame and cut the wires.

Alright I will try removing one of the fans and trying to figure out how its connected 

1 minute ago, ArmyFrame said:

Yeah Iam not that smart with electronics sorry

are the lights going from the center of the fan out?

Or from the outer edge pointing in?

5 minutes ago, ArmyFrame said:

What if you remove the fan blades, and the put some paint over the LEDs?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, tkitch said:

are the lights going from the center of the fan out?

Or from the outer edge pointing in?

From the center out

2 minutes ago, ArmyFrame said:

From the center out

don't do it, the odds of wrecking the fan are way too high

5 minutes ago, ArmyFrame said:

From the center out

You're better off swapping the fans instead of attempting to remove or disconnect the LEDs.

7 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

You're better off swapping the fans instead of attempting to remove or disconnect the LEDs.

10 minutes ago, tkitch said:

don't do it, the odds of wrecking the fan are way too high

Okay thanks I will just keep it the same or keep the one on the back running and test the temps as the RGB is unbearable. 

1 minute ago, ArmyFrame said:

Okay thanks I will just keep it the same or keep the one on the back running and test the temps as the RGB is unbearable. 

What are the rest of your specs for this build?

13 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

What are the rest of your specs for this build?

Ryzen 5 5600x with gtx 1050, the ryzen has the stock cooler but I undervolted it and it doesn't go over 75C max on high load anyway 

9 minutes ago, ArmyFrame said:

Ryzen 5 5600x with gtx 1050, the ryzen has the stock cooler but I undervolted it and it doesn't go over 75C max on high load anyway 

If you elect to run only the single rear fan, you may run into thermal issues.

3 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

If you elect to run only the single rear fan, you may run into thermal issues.

I will try following the temps closely and see whats up 

32 minutes ago, ArmyFrame said:

I will try following the temps closely and see whats up 

As a side note...you can dim the fans by simply lowering their speed - you would need a fan controller that connects through molex, or a standard one with a molex to three pin adapter. 

52 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

As a side note...you can dim the fans by simply lowering their speed - you would need a fan controller that connects through molex, or a standard one with a molex to three pin adapter. 

Get a pack of non RGB fans for 10 bucks, eat one pizza less , good thing as well 😉

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

I did this with the fans that came with my case. Lift the fan's sticker and you'll find the wiring, 2 are for power (the fan itself) but you should have other 2 for the LEDs, cut one of those and the lights go off.

If you can see the LEDs simply pluck them out using pliers and cut ONE of the wires.

Caroline doesn't need to hear all this, she's a highly trained professional.

On 4/7/2024 at 11:29 AM, ArmyFrame said:

If they have discrete wires running to LEDs on the frame, you can cut those. If they're on a PCB in the hub, you'll need skills to disconnect them. The latter is what you have. 

On 4/7/2024 at 11:33 AM, ArmyFrame said:

Alright I will try removing one of the fans and trying to figure out how its connected 

Photos of both sides, pls. If there's a sticker covering the motor directly, remove it first. 

On 4/7/2024 at 11:35 AM, Fasauceome said:

What if you remove the fan blades, and the put some paint over the LEDs?

I think that the OP 's trying to give more power to the fan...

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

20 hours ago, RevGAM said:

If they have discrete wires running to LEDs on the frame, you can cut those. If they're on a PCB in the hub, you'll need skills to disconnect them. The latter is what you have. 

Photos of both sides, pls. If there's a sticker covering the motor directly, remove it first. 

I think that the OP 's trying to give more power to the fan...

I don't want more power really I just want to get rid of the annoying rgb, buying new decent fans would be as expensive as investing in a better case, as prices here are whack

do you want me to take it off and disassemble it and send the pics ? i put electric tabe over the logo part and in between the fan blades to lower the intensity of the lights but thats only for the back fan as getting off the front ones seems like such a hassle in this case, and also I'm afriad if i disassemble it, I won't be able to put it back 

1 hour ago, ArmyFrame said:

I don't want more power really I just want to get rid of the annoying rgb, buying new decent fans would be as expensive as investing in a better case, as prices here are whack

do you want me to take it off and disassemble it and send the pics ? i put electric tabe over the logo part and in between the fan blades to lower the intensity of the lights but thats only for the back fan as getting off the front ones seems like such a hassle in this case, and also I'm afriad if i disassemble it, I won't be able to put it back 

If all you want is darkness, someone suggested painting them. That's by far the safest option. Oil-based or acrylic. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂