Help! My computer is randomly restarting!!

Hi. I built my computer a few years ago and up until about a week ago it was running fine. Specs are here:

Ryzen 5 2600

T-Force 2x8gb 2600

Auorus B450 Pro WiFi

EVGA 850 GQ

RTX 2060

WD Blue SN550 500gb NVME

1TB hard drive

I often wake up to my computer turned on because it wakes from sleep mode to do updates or whatnot in the night. About a week ago I woke to it on but with a black screen. I attempted to restart it but it wouldn't boot. I then disassembled and reassembled the entire PC which did not help.

Then I reset the bios via the CMOS battery which did allow it to boot into Windows, however I then began getting random restarts. No warning just the screen to black and reboot. I occasionally get BSODs showing CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED. They both tended to happen more when more intensive tasks began. I initially believed it was a graphics drivers issue but updating them did nothing. I then updated the bios which didn't help.

I tested my RAM on a different machine and found no issue with that. I have also reinstalled a clean install of Windows and am still getting restarts. The motherboard also has LED indicators on it. They all individually light up as the system is booting and it's testing things. First is CPU, then RAM, then VGA, then BOOT. Sometimes it gets stuck on the CPU and/or RAM and flashes between them.

I have looked through the event manager too and found there is no bugCheckCode which from reading some Windows forms often indicates a hardware failure. Curious to see if anyone has any advice. My current guess is a faulty motherboard but I'm not sure. Thanks!

Run it with a single ramstick and see if it's stable in that configuration

board

take the mobo out, take everything off it (heatsinks + cmos battery), short clear cmos + powerbutton, rinse in water making sure everything gets wet and optionally dunk in a bucket of water for a little while or dishwasher with no detergent, leave to dry for 1-2 days

if that doesnt work replace the mobo, lots of used b3/450 around the 50$ mark

ram has been eliminated as faulty though you should stability test on your mobo with xmp on and off prime95 largeffts, this is the 2nd most error prone part in a build so having it half eliminated just leaves the board

cpu gpu psu are very rare issues wise, cpus dont up and die on you or become faulty outta nowhere, gpus usually they artifact cant install drivers/driver crash or show some sort of issue related to graphics, psus only have 1 job and as long as the voltage rails are fine you should be fine though yes psus can also cause random issues just that itd be the last thing id bother testing since the mobo is the #1 most error prone part in a build and any random issue that isnt ram is most likely mobo

ssd is a point of interest after stability testing rams though so try a different drive be it hdd or ssd whatever you have laying around with a fresh windows install and see if your problems still occur, storage can definitely go bad from time to time so id also check this before cleaning or outright ditching the board

after ram stability test and verifying that your ssd isnt at fault then go ahead and clean the board, if that doesnt work ditch it for another b3/450 you can find for ~50$ used

15 hours ago, emosun said:

Run it with a single ramstick and see if it's stable in that configuration

I have tried that and have been unsuccessful.

14 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

board

take the mobo out, take everything off it (heatsinks + cmos battery), short clear cmos + powerbutton, rinse in water making sure everything gets wet and optionally dunk in a bucket of water for a little while or dishwasher with no detergent, leave to dry for 1-2 days

if that doesnt work replace the mobo, lots of used b3/450 around the 50$ mark

ram has been eliminated as faulty though you should stability test on your mobo with xmp on and off prime95 largeffts, this is the 2nd most error prone part in a build so having it half eliminated just leaves the board

cpu gpu psu are very rare issues wise, cpus dont up and die on you or become faulty outta nowhere, gpus usually they artifact cant install drivers/driver crash or show some sort of issue related to graphics, psus only have 1 job and as long as the voltage rails are fine you should be fine though yes psus can also cause random issues just that itd be the last thing id bother testing since the mobo is the #1 most error prone part in a build and any random issue that isnt ram is most likely mobo

ssd is a point of interest after stability testing rams though so try a different drive be it hdd or ssd whatever you have laying around with a fresh windows install and see if your problems still occur, storage can definitely go bad from time to time so id also check this before cleaning or outright ditching the board

after ram stability test and verifying that your ssd isnt at fault then go ahead and clean the board, if that doesnt work ditch it for another b3/450 you can find for ~50$ used

Thanks for the info, I'm curious though, why water? What would that do?

2 hours ago, ProCookies128 said:

Thanks for the info, I'm curious though, why water? What would that do?

deep cleans the board

alot of the time its just a dirty board so betteer than just immideately replacing without trying to even fix the board, but if this doesnt work just ditch the board outright since theyre pretty cheap but a ton of hassle to try troubleshooting if they decide to be really pissy for no reason

if you got a problem after updates, i would first go into troubleshooting mode and uninstall latest updates.. they can fubar a system at times..