Upgrading to the 7900 GRE worth it?

Go to solution Solved by Salted Spinach,
14 hours ago, Nerocosm said:

Worth getting for yourself anyway, even at 1440p. It is going to age much better than any Nvidia GPU at the same price due to 16GB of VRAM.

Currently I have a Radeon RX 6700XT, It's treated me well over the past 3 years, but since then one of the bios' on it has been corrupted, and I fear that either the new 24.3.1 driver update may have either corrupted it again (Given I did a driver roll back and it keeps crashing contently) or just doesn't like the second bios on the card. Even before it worked it didn't seem to like my games very much hovering around 90-100 fps(Mostly HZD and HFW) in 1440p gaming. It wouldn't be too big of a deal for me, but my boyfriends computer sits right next to mine and I just bought him a 7800XT and gaming looks amazing for him. (Even if that's because he plays 4k 60locked)   Would upgrading to a 7900 GRE be worth it? The last upgrade I did was moving from the RX 580 to the 6700XT.

29 minutes ago, Nerocosm said:

Currently I have a Radeon RX 6700XT, It's treated me well over the past 3 years, but since then one of the bios' on it has been corrupted, and I fear that either the new 24.3.1 driver update may have either corrupted it again (Given I did a driver roll back and it keeps crashing contently) or just doesn't like the second bios on the card. Even before it worked it didn't seem to like my games very much hovering around 90-100 fps(Mostly HZD and HFW) in 1440p gaming. It wouldn't be too big of a deal for me, but my boyfriends computer sits right next to mine and I just bought him a 7800XT and gaming looks amazing for him. (Even if that's because he plays 4k 60locked)   Would upgrading to a 7900 GRE be worth it? The last upgrade I did was moving from the RX 580 to the 6700XT.

Well without a cost, it's impossible to say if it's worth it. Without knowing the rest of the specs, it's impossible to say if it would be faster also. Just on the gpu specs alone, the gre is better than the 6700xt. That is all that can be said without more information.

It should be at the very least 50% performance upgrade in non-CPU bound scenarios so it's up to you to decide if that's worth it. 

35 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Well without a cost, it's impossible to say if it's worth it. Without knowing the rest of the specs, it's impossible to say if it would be faster also. Just on the gpu specs alone, the gre is better than the 6700xt. That is all that can be said without more information.

Currently running R9 7900x with 32Gb gskill 6000 mhz. I just upgraded from the 5600x about a month ago

1 hour ago, Nerocosm said:

https://www.techpowerup.com/320715/amd-24-3-1-drivers-unlock-rx-7900-gre-memory-oc-limits-additional-performance-boost-tested

Go to 08:15 and check the price of what the GRE is competing with at 1440p/4K

If your boyfriend's display isn't 60Hz and he is willing to not cap at 60fps, I'd wager the best play is to get him a GRE and you take the 7800XT for 1440p

1 hour ago, Salted Spinach said:

Go to 08:15 and check the price of what the GRE is competing with at 1440p/4K

If your boyfriend's display isn't 60Hz and he is willing to not cap at 60fps, I'd wager the best play is to get him a GRE and you take the 7800XT for 1440p

His display goes up to 4k 60Hz, he plays on a TV. He also has a pretty small case that 7800XT barely fit in there, most of the GRE I can find around here are triple fan cards.

14 hours ago, Nerocosm said:

Worth getting for yourself anyway, even at 1440p. It is going to age much better than any Nvidia GPU at the same price due to 16GB of VRAM.