Anything I should look out for on a used ssd

Found this marketplace listing for $30 AUD for a used 500gb kingston a2000 sdd. I’m looking to get an ssd for my pcbuild but recall in a podcast Linus saying used storage can be dodgy. Is this a deal I should consider and should I ask to see anything to validate if the ssd is any good. Any tips of buying used ssd’s would be appreciated. Thanks

IMG_2403.jpeg

IMG_2402.jpeg

IMG_2401.jpeg

19 minutes ago, ryanmate543 said:

Found this marketplace listing for $30 AUD for a used 500gb kingston a2000 sdd. I’m looking to get an ssd for my pcbuild but recall in a podcast Linus saying used storage can be dodgy. Is this a deal I should consider and should I ask to see anything to validate if the ssd is any good. Any tips of buying used ssd’s would be appreciated. Thanks

At the very least get  the SMART info and check to see how much has been written to it.

it should work fine since it is used only expect 400gb as good then the rest as junk burnt up space. and don't fill it past 50% full and have a real hdd as the slave where non AAA games to be stored. if not add a ssd sata version for faster loading !!! m.2 then ssd then hhd. this is the fastest to slowest versions !!! Only help I can give as a I build my own setups !!! and minimum 32 gb ram (for now a days games)but editing 32gb ram is good enough for !!! that's all I can hlep you with !!!

The inconvenience of data loss really isn't worth buying a used SSD, in my opinion. If you have a PC with stuff on it that you really don't care about (e.g. just games) then whatever, I guess, but I don't think you're likely to spot a bad one from high res pictures unless it is non functional.

26 minutes ago, scruffballz_86 said:

only expect 400gb as good then the rest as junk burnt up space.

Can you explain this? It makes no sense to me.

28 minutes ago, scruffballz_86 said:

it should work fine since it is used only expect 400gb as good then the rest as junk burnt up space.

That's not a good way to look at it, as wear levelling should be trying to avoid any cell getting more wear than another so once they start failing and using spares, you'll want to replace it ASAP as odds are the whole NAND is close to failure.

I just wouldn't buy used anyway though.  Its problematic enough with fakes on the market, there's just no way to know what you're going to get.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Seems like everybody is against the used purchase. Personally i'd say its about as risky as buying a used GPU. I've bought around 10 used GPUS on marketplace and they've all been fine. The case is probably the same with SSDs, the seller is getting rid of an item they used for a few years and will probably run for many years to come. 

6 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

At the very least get  the SMART info and check to see how much has been written to it.

This is really all you need to do^
This data can be obtained from many free apps. If the drive looks to be OK condition i would go for it. 
its only a 500gb storage so i imagine you arent storing your lifes collection of photos on it so if its just for your operating system and a  few apps that can be easily be installed its totally worth it.