GPU at 100%?

NickHere

Hi guys,

Recently I have gotten a new desktop, any game I play from low graphic to high graphic. My GPU is always on 100%. Is it normal?

Spec Of Desktop:

Intel Core i7 14700KF Processor
AFTERSHOCK Glacier Mirror 360mm Watercooling
Gigabyte Z790 GAMING X AX DDR5
Gigabyte RTX 4080 Super Windforce 16GB
32GB Team T Force Delta RGB 6000mhz (16x2)
2TB Lexar NQ790 Gen4 7000mb/s SSD
850W Deepcool 80+ Gold ATX3.0

Yes, you want to be using 100% of your GPU during games to maximise your FPS. It is only a concern when your CPU is at 100%.

5 minutes ago, NickHere said:

Running 100% on GPU prolong will it shorten its lifespan?

GPU is supposed/designed to work at 100%;, unless it overheats it won't affect its lifespan

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

10 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

GPU is supposed/designed to work at 100%;, unless it overheats it won't affect its lifespan

What is the most ideal temp for gpu?

20 minutes ago, NickHere said:

anything up to 110C is fine for hotspot

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

2 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

anything up to 110C is fine for hotspot

Is it the same for AMD? My 6700 XT in my "Ultimate Death Heat Chamber Case" gets up to 100C hotspot sometimes and it really concerns me

I love making PCPartPicker lists.

If I answer your question (or someone else), please mark it as the answer. 

Please refresh before replying, I like to edit my posts.

PC SPECS: Intel i5-12600K, RX 6700 XT, 32GB DDR4 RAM

Favorite cheap but great tech: AMD RX 6700 XT, Yunzii YZ75 Keyboard, Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx

1 minute ago, PowerPCFan said:

Is it the same for AMD? My 6700 XT in my "Ultimate Death Heat Chamber Case" gets up to 100C hotspot sometimes and it really concerns me

Yes, 100C is fine, you can also up the fan curve if these temps worry you

Do you have any case fans/ventilation?

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

15 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

Yes, 100C is fine, you can also up the fan curve if these temps worry you

Do you have any case fans/ventilation?

I changed the curve and undervolted, it's much better now

I did an ATX mod to a case from a 2005 Mac and the airflow is just BAD in a giant metal cube

I love making PCPartPicker lists.

If I answer your question (or someone else), please mark it as the answer. 

Please refresh before replying, I like to edit my posts.

PC SPECS: Intel i5-12600K, RX 6700 XT, 32GB DDR4 RAM

Favorite cheap but great tech: AMD RX 6700 XT, Yunzii YZ75 Keyboard, Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx

1 hour ago, Blasty Blosty said:

Yes, you want to be using 100% of your GPU during games to maximise your FPS. It is only a concern when your CPU is at 100%.

This isn't really true. For one, there are many CPU intensive games for which you would expect the CPU to be doing more work than the GPU. For two, either device reaching 100% means you are at the limits of what your PC can achieve in that situation (or in other words "situationally bottlenecked").

However, I think what you meant was "There is no issue with your GPU running at 100%, provided you are happy with the performance." which I agree with.

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

4 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

This isn't really true. For one, there are many CPU intensive games for which you would expect the CPU to be doing more work than the GPU. For two, either device reaching 100% means you are at the limits of what your PC can achieve in that situation (or in other words "situationally bottlenecked").

However, I think what you meant was "There is no issue with your GPU running at 100%, provided you are happy with the performance." which I agree with.

Yeah that's what I meant, thanks for wording it better

39 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

This isn't really true. For one, there are many CPU intensive games for which you would expect the CPU to be doing more work than the GPU.

not really?

you'd always want to avoid a cpu bottleneck,  gpu maxing out is indeed normal though and ideally you'd want nothing fully maxed out, but generally gpu at 100% is very fine *as long the cpu can keep up* .

what games did you have in mind that use more cpu than gpu?

don't doubt that exists,  but it's definitely gonna be the minority. 

basically if a cpu bottleneck happens often its seriously recommended to upgrade that cpu.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, NickHere said:

Up to 75C / 90C hotspot / 90C VRAM is fine

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

2 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

what games did you have in mind that use more cpu than gpu?

don't doubt that exists,  but it's definitely gonna be the minority.

I admit that CPU intensive games are in the vast minority.

you'd always want to avoid a cpu bottleneck

basically if a cpu bottleneck happens often its seriously recommended to upgrade that cpu.

I'm of the opinion that it isn't the type of component (GPU/CPU/SSD/RAM) causing the bottleneck that dictates how desperately you require an upgrade, but instead it is just dictated by the performance of the machine and the performance level you want. Therefore imo "if a cpu bottleneck happens often its seriously recommended to upgrade that cpu" and "you'd always want to avoid a cpu bottleneck" are the wrong messages to be giving out.

I'd always go with "if you encounter any bottleneck (GPU/CPU/SSD/RAM), you should consider an upgrade if the performance of your machine isn't as good as you'd like it to be".

ideally you'd want nothing fully maxed out

I agree with this

but generally gpu at 100% is very fine *as long the cpu can keep up* .

I'm not totally sure what you meant here... if the CPU couldn't keep up the GPU wouldn't be running at 100%... did you just mean "but generally gpu at 100% is very fine"?

(I agree that a PC is completely fine to be running flat out)

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

1 hour ago, will0hlep said:

you'd always want to avoid a cpu bottleneck" are the wrong messages to be giving out.

its exactly the right message,  gpu bottleneck can be alleviated pretty easily with settings,  cpu bottleneck you're most likely screwed and can't improve performance much if at all with settings etc (sometimes an overclock can help but its usually far from a perfect solution) 

just to be clear cpu bottleneck needs to be avoided at all costs if you care about performance at all.

1 hour ago, will0hlep said:

I'm not totally sure what you meant here..

same as above.  if the cpu cant keep up, your gpu may run at 100% often, but will stall when the cpu hits also 100%, hence cpu bottlenecks should be avoided,  gpu bottleneck is the normal situation and therefore preferred.  

tldr: basically what op is saying: "my car reaches its advertised speed limit, is that bad?"

its a really odd question in my view and the answer is "hell no, you want your car reach its maximum speed, doesn't mean it always has to go that fast but its good to know it can if you need it." 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

tldr: basically what op is saying: "my car reaches its advertised speed limit, is that bad?"

its a really odd question in my view and the answer is "hell no, you want your car reach its maximum speed, doesn't mean it always has to go that fast but its good to know it can if you need it."

I agree with this 🙂

same as above.  if the cpu cant keep up, your gpu may run at 100% often, but will stall when the cpu hits also 100%, hence cpu bottlenecks should be avoided,  gpu bottleneck is the normal situation and therefore preferred.

Still confused by your point here (sorry)

its exactly the right message,  gpu bottleneck can be alleviated pretty easily with settings,  cpu bottleneck you're most likely screwed and can't improve performance much if at all with settings etc (sometimes an overclock can help but its usually far from a perfect solution) 

just to be clear cpu bottleneck needs to be avoided at all costs if you care about performance at all.

imo, while a GPU bottleneck can be alleviated with lower settings, it dosn't mean it is automatically less of an issue than a CPU bottleneck, as for me the severity of the bottleneck is measured by the difference between the systems performance and minimum the performance the user will accept.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this bit 🙂

He/Him

On 3/25/2024 at 6:58 PM, will0hlep said:

I agree with this 🙂

Still confused by your point here (sorry)

imo, while a GPU bottleneck can be alleviated with lower settings, it dosn't mean it is automatically less of an issue than a CPU bottleneck, as for me the severity of the bottleneck is measured by the difference between the systems performance and minimum the performance the user will accept.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this bit 🙂

well, look what im saying is that "generally" its better to not be cpu bottlenecked because its just a horrible experience. that there are circumstances where its acceptable doesn't really change that. its fine if you disagree but I'll keep avoiding running into a cpu bottleneck (because i already know how shitty it is) and will advocate for the same, simply because it's "generally" more preferable to not max out a cpu, especially while gaming and a maxed out gpu is just the norm in most cases (typically it means your cpu can keep up which is good)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity