Using a PowerMac G4 case with modern hardware

I'm using an old PowerMac G4 quicksilver as a case. To preserve the look, I only want to mod the back and bottom.

The original G4 quicksilver

I'm contemplating whether to use the Noctua NH-D9L to exhaust out the back, or water cool with a 240 rad as an exhaust on the bottom

This is about how the back would look like:

Screenshot_2024-03-24-12-55-27-75_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb3292.thumb.jpg.9368138075cdf8bed9cae9a4f085071a.jpg

*I'll probably ask the guy who's making those back replacements for something a little different to allow a bit more airflow out the back if I choose to air cool

My parts list:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

GPU: Nvidia founders 4090

PSU: CoolerMaster 850W V850 SFX

Motherboard: Gigabyte B650M GAMING X AX

RAM: Corsair DDR5 32G (2x16G) 6400 CL36 Vengeance Black

Any advice?

14 minutes ago, John.Isr said:

with a 240 rad as an exhaust on the bottom

This needs a custom loop else you WRECK the pump in an aio as the air in the loop will get trapped there.

An option would be to have an alphacool modulqr eisbear aio and just terminate one end to a super small reservoir somewhere up high in the case then buy one tube to just connect the reservoir to the block.

Also that would mean the 4090 gets HOT air as the only cooling.

A nh9l is cutting it close for a 7800x3d at normal. It will most likely need to be in eco mode.

I think one option would be to have the back where the vents are populated with a fan as intake, the modified alphacool aio as intake and leave all pcie slots open. That would mean the 4090 gets as much air as possible and the air gets ejected out the back of the pc and the psu.

A 240 eisbear is enough for a 7800x3x so there should be space in the front bottom for another intake fan.

Btw use some arctic p12 fans as the stock eisbear ones whilst actually good are LOUD.

Not an ideal airflow path but it should work.

I have done one mod one time on these before the eisbear was a thing. Ended up with holes in the bottom and an aio rad diagonal in the case so it would be slightly above the pump. Then had a shroud out of pvc board so it would get fresh air in. 1 bottom fan + back 40mm noctua's were aimed at the gpu and it was ok ish. The kit I used looked almost identical to the one in the pick but mine had some top venting.

I would do a new one as I described above just to have things be a little less janky.

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

This needs a custom loop else you WRECK the pump in an aio as the air in the loop will get trapped there.

Any thoughts on air cooling the thing?

I can intake air from the bottom front part of the case, as well as through the sides

(There's a gap on the bottom between the plastic panel and the inner metal case)
maybe add more intake from the bottom, and exhaust all of it from the back?

1 hour ago, John.Isr said:

Any thoughts on air cooling the thing?

I can intake air from the bottom front part of the case, as well as through the sides

(There's a gap on the bottom between the plastic panel and the inner metal case)
maybe add more intake from the bottom, and exhaust all of it from the back?

There's not reallt an air cooler that fits and is big enough. The noctua you have is about as good as it gets but it wont run a full titlt 7800x3d. An eco mode 7800x3d sure HOWEVER this is only tested in a case with decent airflow. The g4 is a unique thing with not superv airflow so that is also something to consider.

As for airflow that may work. Have all bottom as intake is something that should 100% be done already but the small bits from the front will help too.

Just so you know an eisbear is 100$ or so + the small rad and a tube it could be around 150$ to for sure cool the thing. Instead of taking a gamble.

In a system of your specs already id just do that.