9 fans, hub, but no speed control?

ramm

Hello,

I have received AR12 9 fans from the brand "Aigo". They aren't your standard coolermaster or corsair quality, but still look pretty decent. However i'm a bit puzzled how to connect them. There seem to be 6pin connectors that go to a hub, the hub gets power from Sata and there is one connector that says M/B (motherboard?) which seems to be a standard 3pin rgb connector.

So how do these fans control their speed? Are they spinning at a constant speed? Because if so, that has been a huge oversight obviously and then my only option is to figure out which 3 out of 6 of the wires are speed and which 3/6 of the wires are rgb to do some custom soldering?

616eWEQUVtL.jpg

Thanks for the help

41 minutes ago, ramm said:

Hello,

I have received AR12 9 fans from the brand "Aigo". They aren't your standard coolermaster or corsair quality, but still look pretty decent. However i'm a bit puzzled how to connect them. There seem to be 6pin connectors that go to a hub, the hub gets power from Sata and there is one connector that says M/B (motherboard?) which seems to be a standard 3pin rgb connector.

So how do these fans control their speed? Are they spinning at a constant speed? Because if so, that has been a huge oversight obviously and then my only option is to figure out which 3 out of 6 of the wires are speed and which 3/6 of the wires are rgb to do some custom soldering?

Thanks for the help

They could are voltage regulated, not PWM. You should be able to change that in BIOS on most boards.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

44 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

They could are voltage regulated, not PWM. You should be able to change that in BIOS on most boards.

Im sorry I dont follow, they are only connected through a Sata cable and a "M/B" connector which appears to be an rgb header (I could be wrong).

So how does it know how to increase the speed then when my system is under load? Through this "M/B" connector only? Because Sata power is constant.

Maybe im a bit oldschool because I expected a seperate 4pin header and seperate rgb connector on the fans? Not a 6 pin?

this hub is a device u have right? 

7 minutes ago, NorKris said:

this hub is a device u have right? 

yes it came with the fans

I just inspected this M/B connector it has 3 pins, it is 4pin size, but only 2 cables come out.

Im really puzzled how this system is supposed to do the speed?image.png.37d6a15124a630740fb482b9b74dc420.png

So the thick sata cable is for power, then I can plug up to 10 fans in this hub, then there is this cable coming "M/B Sync" which I think you connect to your motherboard, but I have no idea how. It is only 2 wires. That cant be correct, right? And the plug seems to be like a 3pin/4pin rgb connector.

How is that gonna do the speed using only 2 wires?

2 minutes ago, ramm said:

I just inspected this M/B connector it has 3 pins, it is 4pin size, but only 2 cables come out.

Im really puzzled how this system is supposed to do the speed?

So the thick sata cable is for power, then I can plug up to 10 fans in this hub, then there is this cable coming "M/B Sync" which I think you connect to your motherboard, but I have no idea how. It is only 2 wires. That cant be correct, right? And the plug seems to be like a 3pin/4pin rgb connector.

ty, picture of the beast was what i was after.  that looks to me  just like a ARGB hub

11 minutes ago, NorKris said:

ty, picture of the beast was what i was after.  that looks to me  just like a ARGB hub

So it is just for RGB? How to connect the fans and the fan speed? Im so confused right now, I expected these fans to work like any other fan I ever used.

13 minutes ago, ramm said:

Im really puzzled how this system is supposed to do the speed?image.png.37d6a15124a630740fb482b9b74dc420.png

The small cable is RGB, the power comes from SATA so no software/PWM regulation, only voltage, try 5V to have slower speeds

If you want something controllable get PWM fans and hub

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

1 minute ago, PDifolco said:

The small cable is RGB, the power comes from SATA so no software/PWM regulation, only voltage, try 5V to have slower speeds

If you want something controllable get PWM fans and hub

What do you mean try 5v? It is just a sata connector?

5 minutes ago, ramm said:

So it is just for RGB? How to connect the fans and the fan speed? 

like a wise guy once said:  "when u cheap out, u pay for that with fustration and ur time "

4 minutes ago, ramm said:

I expected these fans to work like any other fan I ever used.

i dont know if u knew these fans had a 6pin connector, but 4pin is what u need to look for 😛 

5 minutes ago, NorKris said:

like a wise guy once said:  "when u cheap out, u pay for that with fustration and ur time "

i dont know if u knew these fans had a 6pin connector, but 4pin is what u need to look for 😛 

Yes definately another lesson, but i really didnt expect them to mess up a simple fan connector

but my idea of soldering it? Or finding like a splitter cable that splits the fan control and rgb control?

6 minutes ago, ramm said:

What do you mean try 5v? It is just a sata connector?

SATA can do 3.3V/5V/12V, the less you use the slower fans will be

Check if you can regulate it in BIOS or on the hub it may have a switch or such

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

2 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

SATA can do 3.3V/5V/12V, the less you use the slower fans will be

Check if you can regulate it in BIOS or on the hub it may have a switch or such

Oh I didnt know this, so if my PC gets hot, it will increase the power from the PSU to the Sata cables?

4 minutes ago, ramm said:

but my idea of soldering it?

will be hard. unless u have a multimeter 

or u can screew up the plastic box around the hub, and see if they have marked were the  ground, 5v and 12v is. 

7 minutes ago, ramm said:

Oh I didnt know this, so if my PC gets hot, it will increase the power from the PSU to the Sata cables?

Not really practical but why not

Really a PWM hub and fans will be 1000% better, sure it's a bit more expensive

If the fans are 6-pin, it will be 3 for RGB and 3 for power. My old cheap fans were like this, they will just run at 100% all of the time, unless it came with a remote control.

I just got used to the noise, trust me you won't notice after a week or so of using it, unless the white noise of fans tends to bother you

17 minutes ago, Blasty Blosty said:

If the fans are 6-pin, it will be 3 for RGB and 3 for power. My old cheap fans were like this, they will just run at 100% all of the time, unless it came with a remote control.

Yes they come with a remote control I thought it was only for RGB but also for fan speed. But still that is useless to me, I just want my PC to do the speed because I use it all throughout the day for light and heavy workloads.

Ithink the best way for me is figure out which cables are RGB and which are fan speed, then just solder fan controllers on the 3 wires

Sounds like a lot of work that I would never do, but if you've got the skills I don't see why not

5 hours ago, ramm said:

Hello,

616eWEQUVtL.jpg

Thanks for the help

Crap brand, crap fans. The fan speed can only be controlled with the included RC. You're better off getting good PWM or even 3-pin fans,  but you can certainly rewire them if you know how. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

29 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Crap brand, crap fans. The fan speed can only be controlled with the included RC. You're better off getting good PWM or even 3-pin fans,  but you can certainly rewire them if you know how. 

The quality and design is actually really good, no complaints there and it was the only option to buy like 10 the same fans without spending an arm and a leg.

The only downside is the cable, if the cables were normal (seperate pin for power and rgb) then they would be amazing.

1 minute ago, ramm said:

The quality and design is actually really good, no complaints there and it was the only option to buy like 10 the same fans without spending an arm and a leg.

The only downside is the cable, if the cables were normal (seperate pin for power and rgb) then they would be amazing.

Yeah, most cheap fans do hold their own in terms of looks and performance, its just 'nice-to-haves' that they lack, 99% of the time it is proper speed control

5 minutes ago, ramm said:

Agree to disagree.  😀 Antec and Arctic have decent offerings, Asiahorse Fish-Bone is reasonable but I'm not sure how good the quality is. Why do you need 10?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

6 minutes ago, Blasty Blosty said:

Yeah, most cheap fans do hold their own in terms of looks and performance, its just 'nice-to-haves' that they lack, 99% of the time it is proper speed control

I've bought some pretty sketchy no-name and off brands, and some just suck. Aaawave's can is pretty strong but I doubt it'll last long. Same with Segotep, SAMA Asiahorse and some others. 

30 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Agree to disagree.  😀 Antec and Arctic have decent offerings, Asiahorse Fish-Bone is reasonable but I'm not sure how good the quality is. Why do you need 10?

The Lian Li 011 holds 10 fans

But yeah, the connector and speed control has been a huge oversight. I was worried about build quality, metal plastic but didnt expect for a simple 5 cent plug to be lacking