How much ram is enough for a minecaft server

Hey so like the title says, I have an old i7 4th gen running a minecraft server for me and my friends, and it has 4 gigs of ram... should i upgrade it to 8? If it helps, the server pc is using linux mint

System Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x 8-Core Processor

Memory: 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4

SSD: WD_BLACK SN770 1TB

GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 12G oc

Motherboard: Asus Prime B-450 A2

Case: MuseTex k2 Mid Tower

Monitor 1: Samsung SyncMaster S27D360

Monitor 2: Samsung Syncmaster S27B350

Keyboard: Razer Onata

Mouse: Razer Viper

5 minutes ago, ThePCNerd129 said:

Hey so like the title says, I have an old i7 4th gen running a minecraft server for me and my friends, and it has 4 gigs of ram... should i upgrade it to 8? If it helps, the server pc is using linux mint

how many players?

vanilla or modded?

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

4 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

how many players?

vanilla or modded?

Its vanilla, and the player count will increase, but for now it has 3 to 4

System Specs:

Just now, ThePCNerd129 said:

Its vanilla, and the player count will vary, but for now it has 3 to 4

I think you should be good with 4GB

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

Just now, will0hlep said:

I think you should be good with 4GB

Alr, thanks just wanted some reasurance

System Specs:

first having to add my usual ramble about "dont home-host for anyone outside your direct group of friends, essentially only those you'd invite for a barbecue".. i cant be arsed to keep writing a paragraph for that.

that said, unless you plan on doing some forced chunkloading stuff or very high render distance stuff, allocating 2 gigs is plenty for a handful of players. 

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

first having to add my usual ramble about "dont home-host for anyone outside your direct group of friends, essentially only those you'd invite for a barbecue".. i cant be arsed to keep writing a paragraph for that.

that said, unless you plan on doing some forced chunkloading stuff or very high render distance stuff, allocating 2 gigs is plenty for a handful of players. 

Yeah, its only for people i know irl, but so far i havent had any issue with 4 gigs

System Specs:

nah but depending on the motherboard chipset, you may see some improvement in overclocking if your cpu supports it, if it doesnt, a $10 pentium g3258 with a big overclock will actually be better than a stock 4790 for minecraft because the server doesnt ever use more than 1-2 cpu cores
Up to you though, if performance is fine, I wouldn't bother with it
I ran a minecraft server off a g3258 like 10 years ago and at I think 4.4ghz it was pretty much the fastest single thread performance you could get

1 minute ago, OhYou_ said:

nah but depending on the motherboard chipset, you may see some improvement in overclocking if your cpu supports it, if it doesnt, a $10 pentium g3258 with a big overclock will actually be better than a stock 4790 for minecraft because the server doesnt ever use more than 1-2 cpu cores
Up to you though, if performance is fine, I wouldn't bother with it
I ran a minecraft server off a g3258 like 10 years ago and at I think 4.4ghz it was pretty much the fastest single thread performance you could get

I dont think its possible to overclock with what i have, the 4790 works for now

System Specs:

6 minutes ago, ThePCNerd129 said:

I dont think its possible to overclock with what i have, the 4790 works for now

yea then 4790 is the best you can get.

29 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

yea then 4790 is the best you can get.

For a server? Cuz i dont think thats the case for a gaming pc

System Specs:

8 minutes ago, ThePCNerd129 said:

For a server? Cuz i dont think thats the case for a gaming pc

oh no I mean for the motherboard/server you have. the cpu is the best one, so no extra perf there either

46 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

oh no I mean for the motherboard/server you have. the cpu is the best one, so no extra perf there either

Cool! I just happend to have it laying around anyway... it didnt cost me anything! Its an i7 4790T

System Specs: