PA120 fan swap recommendations.

Aleph256

So I built my rig a few weeks ago.

After fine-tuning the curves a bit, temps are fine on pretty much every regular load I threw at it, but the PA fans get noisy real quick when they ramp, so I'm considering swapping them, and adding a back case fan too.

Based on reviews and what little digging I already did when building, contenders seem to be:

However I'm a bit lost with all these airflow, pressure and noise specs being similar yet different.

Like, the S12A has better static pressure according to the spec sheet, but people still recommend the all-rounder A12x25 for rads? I'm lost.

As such, I humbly require peer feedback.

A point I should mention: I have (eventual, at least half a year down the line) plans for an upgrade to a custom waterloop, so if the new fans can be kept for it, it's better (though not a hard requirement).

Just get some arctic p12's and call it a day. Better fans than the thermalrights whilst being as quiet as the noctua's. No reason to spend heaps on slightly better noctua fans really.

The other options aren't bad either but the arctics are simply just as good if not a smidge better (the noctua's are the best but only by a bit).

Just a tip from someone that has done custom water loops many times.

Don't

Just

Don't

Terrible value, holds no value, costly, cumbersome, often maintenance needed, the fancier the looks the shittier the products and higher the price, don't use opaque liquids they ruin the blocks and whole loop, don't mix metals or get metals that are only plated they will wear down and mix, hardline sucks to install, HORRIBLE to upgrade your system,...

The only reason is for looks or for ultimate silence. But for option 2 you can just run a cable from a different room for a lot less money. For quietness you just need BIGGGGGGGGG and MANY rads really + a high end silent pump. Very unwieldy systems then.

A for looks loop is always SHIT to maintain because the easiest and best loops are the black tube simple no fancy no bullshit stuff that doesn't look wow 😛

Go for the P12 Max, they're only slightly behind fans like the T30 and A12x25 but 1/3 the price, and only $1 more than the normal P12, even if you buy the 5 packs. 

You would have to stretch the towers apart to use a T30, and iirc I had to use different clips, not on PA120, but PS120SE. I have them both as I run multiple systems. 

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

the p12 have problem at serten rpm can scrap the sides and corners can snap off but its the best of the cheap option with the pack. but i think artic is good on warranty so 🤷‍♂️ but i recommend spend a bit more for a fan.

prices vary so i dont no whats what. i recommend for

120mm Thermalright TL-B12 non rgb fan comes in white too

120mm Thermalright TL-K12 looks like a b12 with slight argb? comes in white too

120mm thrmalright TL-S12 argb fans 3 pack comes in white too

120mm Thermalright TL-S12-S argb fans 3 pack comes in white too

140mm Thermalright TL-B14 non argb comes in white too

140mm Thermalright TL-C14C-S argb

10 year waranty, ruber bumpers, daiy chain, rad screws. 🤷‍♂️

if you want to spend more then sw4, t30 and nfa12 are all good.

thing of note i have alot of fans and alot of artic fans so i wil no of problems down the road... like 200+ artic fans...there the cheapest pack for Canada at lest.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

4 hours ago, Aleph256 said:

So I built my rig a few weeks ago.

After fine-tuning the curves a bit, temps are fine on pretty much every regular load I threw at it, but the PA fans get noisy real quick when they ramp, so I'm considering swapping them, and adding a back case fan too.

Based on reviews and what little digging I already did when building, contenders seem to be:

However I'm a bit lost with all these airflow, pressure and noise specs being similar yet different.

Like, the S12A has better static pressure according to the spec sheet, but people still recommend the all-rounder A12x25 for rads? I'm lost.

As such, I humbly require peer feedback.

A point I should mention: I have (eventual, at least half a year down the line) plans for an upgrade to a custom waterloop, so if the new fans can be kept for it, it's better (though not a hard requirement).

I no longer have the PA120 - I put it in the PC I built for my niece - so I can't tell how much space there is between the two towers, and the diagram on TR's website is wrong (the specs say 135mm wide, but the diagram says 110mm), and it doesn't show how wide the gap is or how wide the towers are. How much space is there? If it's less than 30mm, you can't put the T30 in the middle. I believe someone else noted that. It is, by far, the strongest fan, and even HW Buster's testing has proven this. Also, as mentioned above, you may need different fan clips with the T30. I was able to stretch my Noctua clips to accommodate it, but I can't say with the PA120.

If you want quiet, then the be quiet! SW4 is about the same as the Noctua NF-A12x25, but some don't like the high-pitched noise it makes. I disagree with Noctua's claim for the max noise based on the over 100 fan comparisons I've done between it and other fans. You can see that on my YT channel.  The Arctic P12 is quieter and even the P12 Max (although some people say it has an annoying sound) is quieter than the SWPro 4, Thermalright C12 Pro, Thermalright B12 Extreme (in ascending order of max noise). Some people say the T30 is the loudest, but I'd put it in the middle because of it's extra girth.

For pressure and airflow, the S12A is the weakest, then the P12, TR C12 Pro, A12x25, SW4, SWPro 4, TR B12 Extreme, Phanteks T30, iirc.

On rads and heatsinks, pressure is important so, for that reason, you're better off with higher static pressure, so the SW4, SWPro 4, TR B12 Extreme or Phanteks T30 (if it'll fit). You COULD put a T30 on the right side and, say, one of the bq! or the TR B12 Ex in the middle.

It's all up to you now.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

19 hours ago, jaslion said:

But for option 2 you can just run a cable from a different room for a lot less money.

Sadly not an option at my current place, though I have IDEAS should I ever get a house. Won't involve a fat bright pink rack, sadly.

Your other remarks have been taken into consideration... And will probably be ignored because I'm very much aware there's little value in it and it's more of a "I (will) have the money, not much better to do with it except indulge myself, and I want the challenge" thing 😅

18 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Go for the P12 Max, they're only slightly behind fans like the T30 and A12x25 but 1/3 the price, and only $1 more than the normal P12, even if you buy the 5 packs. 

Price difference is a bit steeper in the EU (9.49€ VS 13.99€ off the official site, though Amazon brings it down to 9 VS 11), and looks like the 5-pack isn't available, but thanks for the tip!

18 hours ago, freeagent said:

You would have to stretch the towers apart to use a T30

14 hours ago, RevGAM said:

If it's less than 30mm, you can't put the T30 in the middle. I believe someone else noted that.

Frowns and get another look at the specs sheet.

Welp, didn't notice the extra thickness. Guess that's just a big nope for the heatsink

@thrasher_565 ... Guess someone has shares in TR 😅

@RevGAM Oh dear, I appear to have summoned some kind of fan savant.

So summing up your recommendations, I understand the SW4 (maybe Pro?) seems like the best all-rounder? Is the noise difference that stark compared to the P12 Max?

28 minutes ago, Aleph256 said:

I am using a Phantom Spirit 120 EVO and it takes a T30 in the center no problem, and you can even use the stock clips and they are nor stressed out. Pretty good.

1 hour ago, Aleph256 said:

Sadly not an option at my current place, though I have IDEAS should I ever get a house. Won't involve a fat bright pink rack, sadly.

Your other remarks have been taken into consideration... And will probably be ignored because I'm very much aware there's little value in it and it's more of a "I (will) have the money, not much better to do with it except indulge myself, and I want the challenge" thing 😅

Price difference is a bit steeper in the EU (9.49€ VS 13.99€ off the official site, though Amazon brings it down to 9 VS 11), and looks  but thanks for the tip!

Welp, didn't notice the extra thickness. Guess that's just a big nope for the heatsink

@thrasher_565 ... Guess someone has shares in TR 😅

So summing up your recommendations, I understand the SW4 seems like the best all-rounder? Is the noise difference that stark compared to the P12 Max?

thrmalright here in Canada is the best mid deal. in the us thing are more competitive.

Thermalright TL-S12 3x is 19.29 can

Thermalright TL-B12 $11.69

Thermalright TL-C14C-S $12.59

artic p120 5pack $59 atm normally $65 so $10 to $13 each so...

sw4 hs is $25

sw4 hs 140 is $37

nfa12 is $38

t30 $36 i seen it $30 each thow

artic max $23

artic argb $32

artic argb 120 $25

comparing the artic p120 to tr lets see:

p12: 1800 rpm pwm splitor ( i had 2 corners snap off also no ruber pads)

tr TL-B12 2150 rpm+ rad screws, ruber pads, detachable pwm splitor.

the sw4 hp is probly the best 140mm fan thow...🤷‍♂️

thrmalright has cheap fans has black argb and white and just so happens there coolers are also prity good same with aios...

tr dose have more fans non here yet in Canada some argb ones and hi speed ones well there one but it cost $45... only thing i dont like is they have many listing on ammazon and some info on the pages is not right... that imo thow

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

11 hours ago, Aleph256 said:

oh yes, fans and stuff we ask him,  our  only fans  guy  😉 

10 hours ago, Aleph256 said:

Oh dear, I appear to have summoned some kind of fan savant.

So summing up your recommendations, I understand the SW4 (maybe Pro?) seems like the best all-rounder? Is the noise difference that stark compared to the P12 Max?

Lol! There are lots of fans out there, and I haven't even scratched the surface especially included other options. 

I would look at the Silent Wing series and see which one looks the best to you, unless you can tolerate the max noise of the TR B12 Extreme. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

2 hours ago, NorKris said:

oh yes, fans and stuff we ask him,  our  only fans  guy  😉 

Smart ass.

He's being sarcastic, of course. I don't know everything but I do have almost as many fans as @thrasher_565 (maybe) from many different brands ranging in size from 80-200mm, but about 2/3 are 120mm and almost 1/3 are 140 or larger. I also keep a database to help answer questions and make videos for YT.

@NorKrishates my videos. 😞

18 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Smart ass.

He's being sarcastic, of course. I don't know everything but I do have almost as many fans as @thrasher_565 (maybe) from many different brands ranging in size from 80-200mm, but about 2/3 are 120mm and almost 1/3 are 140 or larger. I also keep a database to help answer questions and make videos for YT.

@NorKrishates my videos. 😞

no no just funny ass 🙂 

hate ur vids are strong words, its just that they give me  "tiktok/instagram girl wibes"  (vertical filming) 🤩

Just now, NorKris said:

no no just funny ass 🙂 

hate ur vids are strong words, its just that they give me  "tiktok/instagram girl wibes"  (vertical filming) 🤩

In that case, maybe I'm a bearded lady...errr... Dragon!

43 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

I would look at the Silent Wing series and see which one looks the best to you, unless you can tolerate the max noise of the TR B12 Extreme. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in a realistic setup, the fans will likely never ramp to max, right? Except maybe for a benchmark?

So a more meaningful metric would be the noise at the PWM level my fans curves would set them to?

Digged around a bit on my own and found this thread that basically kills the SW4 Pro for me. So now it's a duel between regular SW4 and P12 Max.

Funnily enough, due to a change of plans that dropped this morning, turns out I'll be driving past one of the (few) computer hardware stores in the region manned by actual enthusiasts later this week.

I'll be asking if they have any additional input.

If not... Guess I'll just grab a pair of each, do a noise comparison with my curves, and return the one I'm not keeping 😅  

11 minutes ago, Aleph256 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in a realistic setup, the fans will likely never ramp to max, right? Except maybe for a benchmark?

Not necessarily. It really depends on how high-end the CPU and GPU are, which is to say how many degrees per watt. Also, it depends on what you're doing with it.  I've played games that caused my fans to go full tilt. 

13 minutes ago, Aleph256 said:

So a more meaningful metric would be the noise at the PWM level my fans curves would set them to?

If you want performance, no. If you want noise-throttled performance, yes, which a lot of people seem to prefer. I'm all about performance so, as long as it's not damaging my ears and the cops aren't being called, I'm ok with it. 

What killed the SWP4? Did you see the comment about the P12 noise?

2 hours ago, RevGAM said:

What killed the SWP4? Did you see the comment about the P12 noise?

Not on desktop so cba to find the exact comment, but I understood that the SWP4 has a physical switch that locks it into a certain RPM range, and that if you set it to max, it still hums audibly even at low PWM. The SW4, not having that, makes it better value.

I've seen it but it seems the noise around the 1k RPM range was removed with the new bearing of the P12 Max?

3 hours ago, Aleph256 said:

Not on desktop so cba to find the exact comment, but I understood that the SWP4 has a physical switch that locks it into a certain RPM range, and that if you set it to max, it still hums audibly even at low PWM. The SW4, not having that, makes it better value.

I've seen it but it seems the noise around the 1k RPM range was removed with the new bearing of the P12 Max?

Yes, the Pro has a physical switch. I'm not going to lie - the noise doesn't bother me. Every fan makes noise - some higher, some lower, some due to harmonic resonances, bearing noises, even tones. You should find recordings online if you have time.

Most people don't really need the SWP4. It's really more useful for people who may use it for different purposes because it comes with 3 kinds of corners - but the SW4 does, too. I suggest that you look at the SW4 high speed. I'm not aware that Arctic fixed the bearings, but I found this article from January that talks about the black using double ball and the white using fluid dynamic. Maybe now the black is also available with the FDB? Or, perhaps, they have so many of those that it'll be a while before they can switch.

I've trained myself to largely not be bothered by noise, and I am a teensy bit deaf in a certain range (maybe just one ear), so I'm just not the best person to talk about that. Sorry.

On 3/18/2024 at 11:08 PM, freeagent said:

I am using a Phantom Spirit 120 EVO and it takes a T30 in the center no problem, and you can even use the stock clips and they are nor stressed out. Pretty good.

Little bit late but, curious as to how this performs

How does the EVO+T30 compare to the FC140 with stock fans?

(commented this on nother post but kinda necro'd it so i thought id query here instead

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

A stock PS120 is a bit stronger than FC140.

On 3/19/2024 at 10:14 PM, RevGAM said:

I suggest that you look at the SW4 high speed. I'm not aware that Arctic fixed the bearings, but I found this article from January that talks about the black using double ball and the white using fluid dynamic. Maybe now the black is also available with the FDB? Or, perhaps, they have so many of those that it'll be a while before they can switch.

Yeah I had set my sights on the high-speed - didn't even notice there was a lower RPM version 😅

Looks like the black P12M does not come with FDB yet, but at this price range I have no issues with getting a white one and change it to black later if they release a FDB version down the line.

Hell if I go with my dual-order plan I could just grab one of each and see for myself how much of a difference FDB vs DBB makes.

When you hear a dual ball fan, you will know it 🙂

21 hours ago, freeagent said:

When you hear a dual ball fan, you will know it 🙂

Not me. I'm starting to think I'm deaf... or a zombie. 😆 

What did you say?

Huh?

Brainzzzz...

2 hours ago, RevGAM said:

Brainzzzz...

I watched that yesterday morning before work 😄

Well, back from the store...

They didn't have more input than you guys, so the order plan it is. I want to be disappointed, but somehow I expected it.

It did however make me realize I would start being short on fan headers on the motherboard.

As such, I'm considering grabbing either a pair of 3-to-1 splitters, or a hub (both options are roughly the same price).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all fans connected to a hub will be treated as a single fan by FanControl, and as such, I wouldn't be able to manage different speeds for intake and exhaust, right?