Getting the i9-14900K, but need advice.

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
10 minutes ago, Master PC said:

Thanks. My case can not fit the 360mm, but I wonder if the 280 and the 360 have close enough performance to justify keeping the current AIO?

The 280 is closer to the 360mm than it is the 240mm for performance, but the 14900K draws so much power that you want as much cooling as you can possibly throw at it. Even with 360mm AIOs it's been known to thermal throttle. 

If you really don't want to upgrade the cooling, just go for a 14700K or something from AMD as they will be pretty close in performance for cheaper and while drawing less power. 

I'm gonna get a i9-14900K soon, and I have some questions:

1: Is my AIO (a 280mm) enough to keep it cool (In case you wonder, my PC case is a 4000X), Or I better get a 360mm with a case big enough to fit it instead?

2: My current PSU is a 850W (Gold). Is it enough power to run said CPU with RTX4070 Super?

3: Any motherboard suggestions? I don't want it too cheap, nor too overpriced.

My main tasks are gaming, video editing, and working on Machine Learning projects. I am no overclocker BTW.

Suggestions are deeply appreciated! 

9 minutes ago, Master PC said:

Or I better get a 360mm with a case big enough to fit it instead?

If this is an option, do that. The 14900K is impossible to cool, and you want to have as much cooling as you can. 

2: My current PSU is a 850W (Gold). Is it enough power to run said CPU with RTX4070 Super?

It's probably OK. 

11 minutes ago, Master PC said:

Z790 Aorus Elite X AX is likely the best bet, it's not too expensive and it's built pretty well. 

It might be worth considering going AMD for this system though, the 7950X is about the same multi core performance but you can use much cheaper motherboards, use less cooling (280mm is fine), and not have to deal with possible scheduling issues. 

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

If this is an option, do that. The 14900K is impossible to cool, and you want to have as much cooling as you can. 

Thanks. My case can not fit the 360mm, but I wonder if the 280 and the 360 have close enough performance to justify keeping the current AIO?

The 280 is closer to the 360mm than it is the 240mm for performance, but the 14900K draws so much power that you want as much cooling as you can possibly throw at it. Even with 360mm AIOs it's been known to thermal throttle. 

If you really don't want to upgrade the cooling, just go for a 14700K or something from AMD as they will be pretty close in performance for cheaper and while drawing less power. 

2 hours ago, Master PC said:

I'm gonna get a i9-14900K soon, and I have some questions:

1: Is my AIO (a 280mm) enough to keep it cool (In case you wonder, my PC case is a 4000X), Or I better get a 360mm with a case big enough to fit it instead?

My main tasks are gaming, video editing, and working on Machine Learning projects. I am no overclocker BTW.

Suggestions are deeply appreciated! 

Look at the locked 14 gen i7. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/7rXV3C/intel-core-i7-14700-21-ghz-20-core-processor-bx8071514700  

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/236781/intel-core-i7-processor-14700-33m-cache-up-to-5-40-ghz/specifications.html