YouTube ads during WAN show replay

Am I remembering incorrectly that there used to be no ads at all during WAN show replays?

I'm seeing so many obnoxiously long ads during the latest replay.  It feels like every five minutes, and the ad breaks are as long as 60 seconds before you can skip.  Along with an obnoxious message that there are "fewer ad breaks in this long video".

But I legitimately don't remember ever seeing any ads during WAN show replays before.  Is that true, or was I just good at blocking them out if they were below some threshold?  It also seems to be aggravated by rewinding.

Ads on YT have gotten much much worse in recent months.  (There was even a survey ad asking about my YT ad experience to which I answered "Terrible" or whatever the worst option was.)

(And a related postscript.: DAMN YOU DENNIS I can no longer forward through the sponsor spots during WAN show because they're too entertaining.)

Yeah, this has been a thing for a while now. I noticed it before as well. (Live in Europe so watching it live is not an option)

Interestingly enough it seem the first hour and a half tends to be add-free. After that the adds start to pile on with the breaks being between 30 and 60 seconds and quite regularly. Then on the really long streams it feels like it's less annoying later on, but I never really measured it.

I posted about it before and the consensus was that this is a forced YouTube thing, but never got an official reply from anyone at LTT.

2 hours ago, XWAUForceflow said:

I posted about it before and the consensus was that this is a forced YouTube thing, but never got an official reply from anyone at LTT.

The creators have full control over when ads are shown, how many, and which type.

If you see unskippable ads, it's because the creator has it enabled on the video. If you see midroll ads, it's because the creator has it enabled. 

At least that's the case with uploaded videos. It might be different for live streams, but I am 99% I've seen streams where someone says then need a toilet break, and then an ad shows perfectly. I doubt that's a coincidence. 

It might also be that the default is that YouTube sprinkles in ads every once in a while by default if the creator doesn't manually ad adds themselves. 

Edit:

Found a source that confirms what I said. 

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/7385599?hl=en

If you think LTT live streams co rain a lot of ads, it's because they (the creator) chose to include a lot of ads, because more ads = more money. 

You can place ads manually if you want, and you can let YouTube insert ads for you. If you do the latter, you have several options for how often ads should appear. 

Use a browser and/or extension that blocks ads. 

I use Adblock browser on my phone and Brave on my PCs and never have to see or skip ads. For the PC I also use the Sponsorblock extension that auto skips through embedded ads. 

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

• 2 weeks later...

Wow a business is trying to make money that's crazy. However for a while YouTube would put in ads if your channel was monetized. Regardless if you said that the one video should not be. Maybe this has changed I don't know.

You know, ads are really very annoying, and YouTube premium reduces my irritation many times.

15 hours ago, dkoudijs said:

However for a while YouTube would put in ads if your channel was monetized. Regardless if you said that the one video should not be. Maybe this has changed I don't know.

I am fairly sure that never happened. 

Maybe you're thinking of when YouTube enabled ads on channels that didn't have monetization? 

Yeah if you see ads, it's because LTT enabled ads. I personally haven't noticed the change since I have YT Premium, but still, this isn't on Youtube/Google.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

So the most annoying thing YouTube does lately is throw an ad at you if you try to go forwards or backwards.

Just now I waited through an ad so I could back up and rewatch a segment, and as soon as I clicked the back arrow, it threw another (longer) ad segment at me.

Totally a dick move.  Anybody else seeing this?

• 2 weeks later...

In the latest WAN show they said that Colton turned ads back on on Twitch after Linus kept turning them off, so I'm going to assume the same thing happened on YouTube, and blame Colton.  Let's all gang up and get his ass fired!

Seriously though, next year's April Fools video should be they actually fire him, and he sues, and legit tricks Gamer's Nexus into starting up a legal defense fund for him.

On 3/29/2024 at 6:21 PM, Thomas A. Fine said:

Anybody else seeing this?

The only way I use YouTube is not signed in, private browser window and 2 ad blockers running. Not a single ad and they don’t cry like little bitches about me using ad blockers. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

• 2 weeks later...

So this is their attempt at being "hungry"? (besides the improved Techlinked scripts and better editing in general, both of which are actually good for the audience unlike this ad thing, I mean they can do the ads but 1 for every 5 mins in a >3hrs VOD is definitely too many)

Now I feel super lucky that I only watch/listen to YouTube with my phone/tablet, with NewPipe installed...

On 4/7/2024 at 6:26 AM, Thomas A. Fine said:

In the latest WAN show they said that Colton turned ads back on on Twitch after Linus kept turning them off

Colton should also change the start time of the WAN Show to 2 hrs later without telling Linus while he's at it...so that for one time the show won't be late.

(He did do this back in 2017, except he told Linus so the show was still late)

Solution: floatplane and/or Spotify

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

2 hours ago, GoStormPlays said:

Solution: floatplane and/or Spotify

Solution. Ad blocker + private window + not being signed in. ( best part is it’s free)

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Solution. Ad blocker + private window + not being signed in. ( best part is it’s free)

(it’s also piracy)

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

17 minutes ago, GoStormPlays said:

(it’s also piracy)

No it isn't... 

You can say it is a lot of things, but piracy has a specific meaning and adblocking do not fit into it.

19 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

No it isn't... 

You can say it is a lot of things, but piracy has a specific meaning and adblocking do not fit into it.

Didn't Linus call it piracy?

55 minutes ago, GoStormPlays said:

(it’s also piracy)

Have not read that provision in the DMCA. So....... Unless the FBI can kick my door in, it's not piracy. Plus at this point, I could give two fucks. 

19 minutes ago, Erioch said:

Didn't Linus call it piracy?

Last time I checked the guys in DC or in the case of Canada, Ottawa make the rules and decide what is and is not piracy. 

38 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Last time I checked the guys in DC or in the case of Canada, Ottawa make the rules and decide what is and is not piracy. 

I never said he makes the rules. 

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

No it isn't... 

Watching an ad is the cost of using the content. Maintaining the platform isn't free or even cheap.

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Have not read that provision in the DMCA. So....... Unless the FBI can kick my door in, it's not piracy. Plus at this point, I could give two fucks. 

Sure, that's your choice.

However, some of these creators spend a six-figure amount on the average video. The least you can do is watch a 30-second ad.

Just now, GoStormPlays said:

However, some of these creators spend a six-figure amount on the average video. The least you can do is watch a 30-second ad.

CBS spends probably 6 figures on each episode of NCIS, I skip all the ads as I record the Live TV broadcast and watch the recording. Im not legally obligated to watch any ads, nor will I. If Youtube has an issue with it, then make the site members only.

11 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

CBS spends probably 6 figures on each episode of NCIS, I skip all the ads as I record the Live TV broadcast and watch the recording. Im not legally obligated to watch any ads, nor will I. If Youtube has an issue with it, then make the site members only.

If they give you the option to skip the ads, then you can. If YouTube doesn't, then you have no permission to skip them. 

3 minutes ago, GoStormPlays said:

If they give you the option to skip the ads, then you can. If YouTube doesn't, then you have no permission to skip them. 

Again they have no LEGAL ground the stand on. Until the FBI can kick your door in for skipping ads, then I dont have to do shit for YouTube. EULA's and TOS's are barely enforceable here in the US. The Law is the law. Like I stated in my previous post, Youtube can become members only, they dont, thats their fuck up and their problem, not mine. 

On a side not, CBS doesnt give permission to skip as, as its Live OTA TV Im capturing. Im sure CBS doesnt like the fact that I skips ads, but they can kiss my fat ass. I will NOT watch ads. 

23 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Again they have no LEGAL ground the stand on. Until the FBI can kick your door in for skipping ads, then I dont have to do shit for YouTube. EULA's and TOS's are barely enforceable here in the US. The Law is the law. Like I stated in my previous post, Youtube can become members only, they dont, thats their fuck up and their problem, not mine. 

This is an interesting path you're on. Next stop, pirating games because what're the chances you're going to be arrested for it.

24 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

On a side not, CBS doesnt give permission to skip as, as its Live OTA TV Im capturing. Im sure CBS doesnt like the fact that I skips ads, but they can kiss my fat ass. I will NOT watch ads. 

If they didn't like it as much as you think, then they wouldn't license their programming for broadcast to you.