How many times can i plug and unplug a thumb/flash drive before it doesn't work?

kofman13

I am wondering how many times i can plug in a thumb drive and unplug it before i wear out the contacts on the usb connection. I know there is no definite answer but im wondering if theres any general "rating" or if people have ever done tests?

CPU: Intel 5820K OC 4GHZ | RAM: 16GB Corsair | GPU: ASUS STRIX 1070 8GB OC | Samsung EVO 980 500GB

I have flash drives that are 10+ years old that see daily use, going from one computer to the next, 20x a day. And have had zero issues. I've also had flash drives that fail after a week. It really just depends on the quality of the drive and how rough you are with it. The majority should be fine for several years. As for an exact number, not something you're going to be able to find unless the exact model you have or are looking at has been tested in that way and had a release of the results.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

I'm certain that the internal hardware of USB will fail sooner before the outer contacts get somehow worn to the point where they're not working anymore, at least with decent handling

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

Didn't LTT do a video on different types of cables and how long they take to fail from plugging and unplugging them?

I think I am imagining things.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

If you pull it straight out of the connector? Hundreds of times. USB type A is designed for something like 1,500 insert-remove cycles at a minimum.

If you yank on it at an angle? A few before something breaks.

You're more likely to software corrupt the drive by unplugging it while the PC's trying to write data, than you are to break the drive physically.

I consider USB flash drives to be disposable anyway. Never trust them with the only copy of important data.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

8 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

Didn't LTT do a video on different types of cables and how long they take to fail from plugging and unplugging them?

I think I am imagining things.

It was James' first or nearly first video iirc. I know the video you're talking about. Linus mentioned it on WAN show before and how many man hours it ended up taking. 

https://youtu.be/OqtNleXhTRE?si=kDbMsiqJDGktM-mZ

34 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

It was James' first or nearly first video iirc. I know the video you're talking about. Linus mentioned it on WAN show before and how many man hours it ended up taking. 

https://youtu.be/OqtNleXhTRE?si=kDbMsiqJDGktM-mZ

Thank you! I searched but I couldn't find it. Figured it was a fever dream or something. Lol.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

10 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

Thank you! I searched but I couldn't find it. Figured it was a fever dream or something. Lol.

There are a few videos I've remembered and thought were fever dreams as well. Just gotta fight through the ruined search algorithms and SEI's