Is my SSD just bad? (for high end video editing)

MFOreo
Go to solution Solved by Shimejii,

Its a DRAMLESS SSD. Thats what happens when you fill its SLC cache, it slows down till its pretty much as stated. ADATA drives have been known to have issues so it could be both a faulty drive AND the fact that its a DRAMLESS SSD. 

Games wont have a problem because they dont constantly write to the drive filling up the cache, same thing with reading.

You bought the wrong SSD for the job. You should have bought one with DRAM.

A few months ago I got a new SSD (ADATA Legend Gold 700 2TB) to help me store heavy video files where I can directly edit from since it's not a good idea to edit from a HDD. 

image.png.0f3ed5187864e9c7c5d97ed008317d24.png

My main C: drive is a Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, and it has always worked fine and it still works fine. The problem is that suddenly after no more than 6 months of using the ADATA SSD I've been experiencing some issues. Task Manager will suddenly tell me that the ADATA SSD is at a 100% Disk Usage, and I can't even check what's causing it cause it'll only tell me what's being used by my main drive. As of right now, putting that SSD through anything will make it go up to 100%, and most times it comes down but sometimes it stays at 100% forcing me to restart my PC.

image.png?ex=6604e413&is=65f26f13&hm=429a6388d11f9938d8f00be3e5b5b97f1772d4ffc2d76c5d789ab75e5b9c5d66&

The main issue and the reason I need a fix is for video editing. I'm editing a short film right now (a project that started since before I got my SSD) and the entire project is 400GB. I used to be able watch through it on Davinci Resolve without a problem when it was on my Samsung drive, and when I got the ADATA SSD it did fine for a while, but now I can't even make proxies out of it cause the SSD immediately goes to 100% usage and it struggles to even load the project. It's worse if I try on Premiere Pro. I think I'd have to leave the PC on for 3 days if I wanted to make proxies out of every single take.

My question is what could've caused this? Is the SSD mediocre? Games installed on it have run just fine (for now), but even Wallpaper Engine bugs out completely when it suddenly reaches 100% usage. Should I overclock it? Or is something actually wrong with my SSD and should I get some kind of warranty? Cause as of right now sometimes it feels like my external USB HDD writes faster than my SSD.

Its a DRAMLESS SSD. Thats what happens when you fill its SLC cache, it slows down till its pretty much as stated. ADATA drives have been known to have issues so it could be both a faulty drive AND the fact that its a DRAMLESS SSD. 

Games wont have a problem because they dont constantly write to the drive filling up the cache, same thing with reading.

Is it reaching 100% when you edit something, or just when it feels like it? I have also a 2TB dramless ssd, but have never had this problem 

2 hours ago, Shimejii said:

I see now. Thanks a lot for this info, I didn't know about DRAMless SSDs, but even when telling a friend from college about this she told me one of our film production teachers even told her in a class to never use ADATA lol.

Would using the ADATA exclusively for storing and running games be a decent outcome of my mistake? Right now I'm even struggling to move stuff from it cause anything that I make it do makes it go 100% (example, I made it move Wallpaper Engine to my C: drive and it's been an hour and it's still 0%)

image.thumb.png.61b4fa6c1da3b58185ba939f277e9de9.png

Does clearing this SLC cache help? Or is this a 90% guarantee that it has indeed become faulty.

45 minutes ago, MiszS said:

Is it reaching 100% when you edit something, or just when it feels like it? I have also a 2TB dramless ssd, but have never had this problem 

It used to be only when I edited this specific very heavy project, when exporting heavily edited projects, OR just suddenly. My signal to restart my PC was that my third monitor's background (which has a dancing animation) would start running at like 2fps suddenly. That was my sign that the SSD had suddenly went up to 100% and my only fix was restarting my PC.

As of now the problem's got worse and anything that involves writing or reading is simply not working (as in my last reply above this one), but I'll try restarting asap so I can move important film files that can't be backed up to my main C: drive

2 hours ago, MFOreo said:

It used to be only when I edited this specific very heavy project, when exporting heavily edited projects, OR just suddenly. My signal to restart my PC was that my third monitor's background (which has a dancing animation) would start running at like 2fps suddenly. That was my sign that the SSD had suddenly went up to 100% and my only fix was restarting my PC.

As of now the problem's got worse and anything that involves writing or reading is simply not working (as in my last reply above this one), but I'll try restarting asap so I can move important film files that can't be backed up to my main C: drive

Then something is wrong with your ssd, no way it should be this slow, DRAM ssd would just be a temporary fix to a bigger problem