Help building home lab to practice CCNA and MCSA?

Hey so I'm a fresh graduate in computing and IT and I hold CCNA, MSCA, VM certificates, I'm looking to set up a home lab/playground to practice real life scenarios that I would encounter as a system administrator, as I have no experience in the IT field.

Money not an issue so throw at me any setup and I'll buy it, I already have some computers, laptops, printers and other devices laying around, I just want a way to build an environment similar to lets say a bank or company and maybe software that can create problems for me to solve and learn along the way.

** PLEASE DONT ASK ME TO GET A JOB AS I KNOW THAT LIKE DUH 🙂

Thanks for any contribution/advice 🙂  

I mean the best practice is to get a job really. Like a it consultancy firm that sends you to many different projects. Gonna get WAAAAAYYYYYYYYY more experience than doing home lab. Also free hardware often.

As far as homelab stuff. Buy a couple random old desktops/workstations avoid servers due to extreme noise. Or if you have a room that can be earpiercingly loud get some old random server.

Else well build a simulated enviroment yourself.

But really just go get a it job you'll simply learn more on the job, get experience AND get paid!

Its how I started 5 years ago and I'm doing quite well. Also make sure to be good at bullshitting 😛

Cisco Packet Tracer would be an option as long as you're fine running simulations and not using actual physical hardware.

1 minute ago, Isuck Assimov said:

Cisco Packet Tracer would be an option as long as you're fine running simulations and not using actual physical hardware.

ok and what about the other certs and a home lab in general ? i want to create and environment similar to what i would be facing when i work as a system admin or something 

[ Moved to Servers, NAS, and Homelab ]

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Buy a pallet of old SFF enterprise towers, some PoE security cameras, 2-4 Cisco switches, some laptops, and a disk shelf. Then build a decent do-all server out of consumer parts (5950X should have all the cores you need, and toss in an HBA for the disk shelf). Plug everything in and start messing around. Configure an entire environment. Push out software to specific computers. Create a giant F@H node. Create users, delete users, whatever. 
You could also expand your security knowledge by playing around with Kali Linux and try breaking into some of the devices. 

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

9 minutes ago, OddOod said:

Buy a pallet of old SFF enterprise towers, some PoE security cameras, 2-4 Cisco switches, some laptops, and a disk shelf. Then build a decent do-all server out of consumer parts (5950X should have all the cores you need, and toss in an HBA for the disk shelf). Plug everything in and start messing around. Configure an entire environment. Push out software to specific computers. Create a giant F@H node. Create users, delete users, whatever. 
You could also expand your security knowledge by playing around with Kali Linux and try breaking into some of the devices. 

nice ideas, if possible could you elaborate more? once i was told to share some ip's on social media for people to mess up my home lab kinda cool as i would be fixing realistic problems  

1 hour ago, OCD-FREAK said:

nice ideas, if possible could you elaborate more? once i was told to share some ip's on social media for people to mess up my home lab kinda cool as i would be fixing realistic problems  

No…. Do not ask for people to start attacking your house. That’s an incredibly horrible idea. 

Any PC will work as a homelab. Instal proxmox and start virtualizing environments. Set up pfsense in a vm to start handling vlans, set up different machines on different vlans, maybe get some managed physical switches and put different devices on vlans, set up an AD server, etc etc. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Thats a TERRIBLE idea. You're literally asking people to attack your home. Your homelab is the least of your concerns here your personal devices will be at high risk and you can lead A LOT of damage in ways you couldnt even think off.

could you elaborate more?

nope. not my milieu

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

Too bad Microsoft killed Technet subscriptions...  Would be perfect for this situation.  

But I'm just talking out my ass.

1 hour ago, LIGISTX said:

No…. Do not ask for people to start attacking your house. That’s an incredibly horrible idea. 

Any PC will work as a homelab. Instal proxmox and start virtualizing environments. Set up pfsense in a vm to start handling vlans, set up different machines on different vlans, maybe get some managed physical switches and put different devices on vlans, set up an AD server, etc etc. 

This is a very good place to start honestly. And you can get some decent deals on used Managed switches depending on which country you live.