Moving countries, changing power cable

StarsMars

I'm planning out my move from the USA to Europe.

Right now I have an EVGA T2 1000w psu.

I know I can swap the power cable from the unit to the wall, however I know the power cable this chonky PSU came with was quite thick.

Is there somewhere I can buy a comparable cable in the europlug C or F type? I'd prefer this if anyone knows who or where I can order it.

Or is this Amazon - European Computer/Monitor Power Cord, Europlug or CE 7/7 to C13, VDE Approved going to be fine?

Basically, at 1000w does the gauge of the power cable matter?

As long as your power supply says something like "100-250v 50/60hz", it will work anywhere in the world as long as you have a power cable with a C13 plug on one end and the local wall plug on the other.

You want at least a 16 gauge cable, to be safe.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

2 minutes ago, StarsMars said:

Basically, at 1000w does the gauge of the power cable matter?

Kinda. What matters is the current rating of the cable and how much will be going through them. With a 1000W Titanium unit after taking into account the efficiency at 115V, it can draw a max of 1111W from the wall, which will translate to 9.66A at 115V, which is quite a lot of current for most thinner. However, at 230V, the efficiency goes up so it's only drawing 1064W from the wall, and therefore only 4.63A at 230V, meaning you can get by with a much thinner cable. 

Looking at that cable, it looks like it's spec'd at 10A, so it would be more than adequate for this scenario. 

51 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea that cable will work fine. SInce you got 240v, your moving 4-5amps max, so you basically any cable will be fine here.

Well, any none Chinese copper coated aluminium junk. 😉

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 hour ago, Needfuldoer said:

As long as your power supply says something like "100-250v 50/60hz", it will work anywhere in the world as long as you have a power cable with a C13 plug on one end and the local wall plug on the other.

You want at least a 16 gauge cable, to be safe.

32 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Well, any none Chinese copper coated aluminium junk. 😉

I'm not sure of the gauge.  Do you guys know where I could find something a little better than the one I linked? Having trouble finding one.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea that cable will work fine. SInce you got 240v, your moving 4-5amps max, so you basically any cable will be fine here.

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Kinda. What matters is the current rating of the cable and how much will be going through them. With a 1000W Titanium unit after taking into account the efficiency at 115V, it can draw a max of 1111W from the wall, which will translate to 9.66A at 115V, which is quite a lot of current for most thinner. However, at 230V, the efficiency goes up so it's only drawing 1064W from the wall, and therefore only 4.63A at 230V, meaning you can get by with a much thinner cable. 

Looking at that cable, it looks like it's spec'd at 10A, so it would be more than adequate for this scenario. 

I don't know much about electricity. You're saying if the voltage is higher, the amps can be lower. And if the amps are lower, you can use a thinner gauge cable?

Thank you for all the help everyone.

1 minute ago, StarsMars said:

I'm not sure of the gauge.  Do you guys know where I could find something a little better than the one I linked? Having trouble finding one.

I don't know much about electricity. You're saying if the voltage is higher, the amps can be lower. And if the amps are lower, you can use a thinner gauge cable?

Higher voltage = less current for the same power

Current is what makes cables warm and drop voltage, which is the main limit for current. So higher voltage lets you use thinner cables for the same amount voltage drop and thermal issues.

43 minutes ago, StarsMars said:

Power = Voltage x Current, so if you run a higher voltage at a given power level, the current will go down proportionally. Current is what heats up cables, and thicker cables can handle more current before they overheat. If the current is lower, thinner wires are needed in order to not overheat.