New To The Home Media Server World

Go to solution Solved by m9x3mos,
51 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

Hey all!

I've been building PCs for several years, but I've just never touched servers. I don't have a NAS, I've only touched Linux on my Steam Deck, and as far as the wide world of stuff that a home server can do, I'm entirely fresh.

That said, I'm becoming interested in setting up a server for my household, both to back up all of my family photos, kids videos, etc; and to begin backing up my legally obtained media.

My budget is low right now, but I do have a few unused older office PCs lying around, which I know CAN become home servers. The question is: are they going to be sufficient for my use case?

Currently on hand I've got some Dell OEM systems with i5-3470 and i5-4470s in them. I've also got an HP with an i7-7700. 

Really all I want to run is stuff like Jellyfin, Radarr, Sonarr, OpenBooks, NextCloud, PhotoPrism, and to operate as a basic NAS.

Is there anything within this line of operation that would require more than an i5-3470?

For a couple of users, the hardware you have will work fine. 

Jellyfin for GPU encoding might be a little odd as I don't know if it supports intel but it might. I don't use that app. 

Toss on linux mint and docker and you can start setting that stuff up. 

Hey all!

I've been building PCs for several years, but I've just never touched servers. I don't have a NAS, I've only touched Linux on my Steam Deck, and as far as the wide world of stuff that a home server can do, I'm entirely fresh.

That said, I'm becoming interested in setting up a server for my household, both to back up all of my family photos, kids videos, etc; and to begin backing up my legally obtained media.

My budget is low right now, but I do have a few unused older office PCs lying around, which I know CAN become home servers. The question is: are they going to be sufficient for my use case?

Currently on hand I've got some Dell OEM systems with i5-3470 and i5-4470s in them. I've also got an HP with an i7-7700. 

Really all I want to run is stuff like Jellyfin, Radarr, Sonarr, OpenBooks, NextCloud, PhotoPrism, and to operate as a basic NAS.

Is there anything within this line of operation that would require more than an i5-3470?

47 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

Zimablade / Zimaboard exists for SBC. Easily can run dockers

Also, mini PCs from Minisforum do a good job and are low power. I have 4 of them for server use. 

51 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

Hey all!

Jellyfin for GPU encoding might be a little odd as I don't know if it supports intel but it might. I don't use that app. 

2 hours ago, m9x3mos said:

Would like a GTX 1050 make life easier in this regard? Would an older like GTX650? I've got both on hand, currently unused...

Largely I have had better luck getting nvidia to work with transcoding in Linux. The 650 won't have the nvenc encoder for acceleration though, but the 1050 does.