I Can’t Believe How Much I Paid For This…

Plouffe

Sony has made a lot of cool products over the last few decades, and while the Vidimagic FP-60 CRT projector might not be impressive today, it had a lot going for it back in 1984.

Guys, I went as far as to create an account here just to tell you the video has a whine in the background bleeding from the projector from 1:52 on. It is distracting as it's sitting at an unpleasant 15600Hz. Please mind this for the next time you are working with old hardware because for audio engineers or people with tinnitus (I, unfortunately, fall in both of these groups) this makes the video very hard to watch.

Keep up the great work otherwise.

A friend's dad bought one of those 3 color projectors from government surplus when I was a kid. Can confirm it took a very, very long time to get them adjusted. And you still got some fringing/artifacting because they weren't perfectly aligned across the entire surface. You sort of had to pick your poison and couldn't have it be too big.

I can also confirm that projectors were the way to play 4-player games on consoles.  Having a chance to play them on a large auditorium's setup was damn fun.

The brown tweed coat is very Technology Connections.

... Technology Projections?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

LTT needs to start a tech museum!

One be surprised what kind of technology out of 80's is still VERY acceptable.

Old school cameras come to mind... with some, wizardy.

Or else how would we still be watching music from that era? 🙂

I would love to see this in the capable hands of CuriousMarc👌

Why the No Name brand, though? Linus bemoans the poor state of affairs of our current economy, the sheer unaffordability of life for young Canadians in particular, and Linus Tech Tips touts themselves as an organization working to do their best for the people. Given this, why are you overtly financially supporting the Loblaws oligarchy? 

Any other brand of bread and peanut butter were within your budget, but you chose this one - not just the purchase, but the branding, too.

To claim to care for the people, then brazenly support the corporate giant gouging those same people for their basic necessities, is flagrant hypocrisy. It's inexcusable.

Hey, you guys used my post on CRT's a few months ago. Not only that but I HAVE an indextron AND I know what's wrong with yours.

The problem is that the liquid glycol cooling forms crystals very slowly over time when i comes in contact with metal, typically aluminum. The solution is to drain the loop, run it through a coffee filter, put CLR into the screen tank to dissolve the crystals, drain that, then put glycol in.

Your projector seems dim compared to mine as well. And mine does not have glycol crystalization. I have a CRT projector that does and I would be willing to donate if you want to try this out. Its a sony coffee table projector. Since the post you guys used I have learned alot, I work for a retro gaming studio as Lead Level Designer and I have about 70 tubes... and Plasma stuff...  Including some other really rare PC monitors, like a pro Lacie Electron Blue 22 Calibration monitor, and new in box SGI 13w3 monitors and some old 50's stuff that still works... So yeah, you want tubes? You want to see where we make new Genesis cartiges at work? I can probably figure some things out with you guys.image.thumb.png.677cc3033c926545bb18afd69997a8d4.png

-deleted

9 hours ago, Daftsins said:

Guys, I went as far as to create an account here just to tell you the video has a whine in the background bleeding from the projector from 1:52 on. It is distracting as it's sitting at an unpleasant 15600Hz. Please mind this for the next time you are working with old hardware because for audio engineers or people with tinnitus (I, unfortunately, fall in both of these groups) this makes the video very hard to watch.

Maybe someday you can save up for a filter.

On a different note. This thing looks like a laser rifle from an anime.

5 hours ago, xnamkcor said:

Maybe someday you can save up for a filter.

to be fair.. it is something they "should" catch in the editing process while working with retro hardware, it's commonplace for retro channels to edit it out. the problem is more so that they have to 'remember' to edit it out because the majority of people stops hearing it after a give age.

this sounds like a perfect opportunity for their internal procedures to have a warning note for retro hardware: check the audio for this stuff, and if it's present - edit it out.

--

on topic, if you guys cant do the repair video for workflow reasons, please send it / loan it to one of the many retro channels out there.

15 hours ago, Daftsins said:

Literally joined the forum just to say this. sadly the video is making me go dizzy from the high frequency Hz and therefor cannot watch it :(.