Toslink-s/pdif-other

ECA

For all the time spent with a Digital output, 

?Where in Hell can you find a SYSTEM, to do it?

Lets suggest a Bax that will do, 5.1 surround.  NOT THE SPEAKERS.  (get your own)

Why in hell should we pay for expensive speakers, or Wimpy speakers systems, When IF WE HAVE THE BOX, we can create out own.  range it 40watt, to 100 watt. Per speaker.

Creating a Box that does the 0.1, Like a Cheap BASS would be cool, as more Computers and TV's., would be impressed.  Then let us add our own speakers that WE would want.  Not the super cheap like those Sound bars.

Iv look all over the place for something that would work, and cobbling it together wouldn't be complicated, Just abit Large, as a Stereo system Main Box starts into the $500 price range, when most parts are arounf $50, Except the Amps.

19 minutes ago, ECA said:

Lets suggest a Bax that will do, 5.1 surround.  NOT THE SPEAKERS.  (get your own)

You mean a surround receiver? Those have had SPDIF / TOSLINK for decades.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

31 minutes ago, ECA said:

Why in hell should we pay for expensive speakers, or Wimpy speakers systems, When IF WE HAVE THE BOX, we can create out own.  range it 40watt, to 100 watt. Per speaker.

Creating a Box that does the 0.1, Like a Cheap BASS would be cool, as more Computers and TV's., would be impressed.  Then let us add our own speakers that WE would want.  Not the super cheap like those Sound bars.

Iv look all over the place for something that would work, and cobbling it together wouldn't be complicated, Just abit Large, as a Stereo system Main Box starts into the $500 price range, when most parts are arounf $50, Except the Amps.

You are really describing a surround receiver. The only problem with your "idea" is, with really big main speakers there is actually no need for a subwoofer, but if you need one, the whole system needs to be calibrated so the loudspeakers work together well. But i think the better ones of the receivers can even do that.

$217USD for a 120w 2 channel amplifier from local electronics hobbyist store, has a line out to hook up to bass, just get a bass that is self powered.

Music or DJ stores are also good places to find quality speakers/amplifiers

if you need 5.1 get a AV receiver, look at the second hand market

The answer to PC cooling is aircon. RGB sucks. Have you tried turning it off and on again

Adv Dip Computer Engineering  |  CCNA  |  ITIL  |  macOS Support Essentials  |  Security + |  Internal Cabling License  |  SAA-C03  |  RHCSA (studying)

Level 2 Support full admin AD  |  IBM Server Build Technician  |  Various IT consulting work

The Hermit Build

2 hours ago, ECA said:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/category/home-theatre-receivers/20313?icmp=mdot_receivers_shopby_hometheatrereceivers

Here you go.

While I appreciate the DIY mindset, a big hurdle with building your own AV receiver (what you are describing) is needing to pay for the licenses and chips to properly decode surround sound codecs. You can easily build a multi-channel amplifier with an optical/toslink input, but you won't have true Dolby or DTS surround if that is what you're after. Second-hand AV receiver is the way to go if you're on a budget.

And building speakers is a whole other wormhole. In theory, it's pretty easy to do...build box, plonk speaker in, brain go brrrrrr. In practice, to get properly tuned and performing speakers takes a shit ton of engineering, knowledge, and time. There is a lot of easily accessible information and plans that you can find from DIY'ers on the internet, so there is a wealth of things to help you on the way; but you'll still need materials, time, tools, etc. Not to discourage you (I'm planning out how to build my own PA system) but just know there's a lot to it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2024 at 12:15 PM, Omon_Ra said:

While I appreciate the DIY mindset, a big hurdle with building your own AV receiver (what you are describing) is needing to pay for the licenses and chips to properly decode surround sound codecs. You can easily build a multi-channel amplifier with an optical/toslink input, but you won't have true Dolby or DTS surround if that is what you're after. Second-hand AV receiver is the way to go if you're on a budget.

And building speakers is a whole other wormhole. In theory, it's pretty easy to do...build box, plonk speaker in, brain go brrrrrr. In practice, to get properly tuned and performing speakers takes a shit ton of engineering, knowledge, and time. There is a lot of easily accessible information and plans that you can find from DIY'ers on the internet, so there is a wealth of things to help you on the way; but you'll still need materials, time, tools, etc. Not to discourage you (I'm planning out how to build my own PA system) but just know there's a lot to it.

Sprry for being away..

I can get a Decoder for 5.1, Cheap type around $50-75.  

I see 5.1 systems, With INPUT...NOT TOSLINK/SPDIF.  From $200=$1000+, NO SPEAKERS

Just getting the decoder and AMP at 60 watts?  Would be great in most cercumstances.  100 watts would be GREAT.

I can BUY my OWN speakers...  Just need the main unit.

In the 20+ years of Audio cards having SPDIF or Toslink....There has been Very FEW OPTIONS.

I still don't understand this topic.

You can find a lot of decent options for 5.1/7.1 AVRs for under $500.

You can run the AVR in just stereo if you want. It has all of the inputs and outputs you need. I don't understand what you're looking for that isn't already solved by the multitude of AVRs on the market.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-STRDH190-Stereo-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B078WFDR8D?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&smid=ASH1H6YCFH4EF&th=1

No digital inputs.

https://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR393-5-2-Channel-Receiver/dp/B07T3PRK4L?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

WOW, good sale..  Beats the old price by very much.

The Problem tends to be that this Should be OLD TECH.  its on all the TV's and Many of those dont have analog outputs(even headphone jacks missing).  Then there is ARC, HDMI, BT all these other options, and NOTHING about how they are using them on the device.

Long Ago I bought a System that would take Inputs from anything, and let me play with 2 sets of speakers.  It was an AV system.  But No one Knew what that was.  I needed money and even the place I bought it from only gave me 1/4 it price, cause No one understood what it did.

NOW days try to find a decent Stereo store with people who know WHAT the hell they are talking about.

IF the basre Unit was sold for around $100, no speakers.  It would sell like HOT CAKES, IF' you told them it was for their computer and TV...  And its NOT a Speaker bar.

For that price, your only chance is to have a look at the used market. Producing amplifiers costs money. And this is a problem that was solved over 20 years ago, but just not at the price you want it.

... so you just want a cheap product made via slave labor?

It doesn't matter if the tech is old.

There are licensing fees. There are still minimum costs of manufacturing and assembling and shipping the huge thing.

Either buy used equipment, or start an automated AVR manufacturing company and sell them with zero margin.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

As hinted at, this is a mostly solved problem. 
And if you're price sensitive, go used. The gear lasts for YEARS AND YEARS AND YEARS, in some cases decades. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

On 3/20/2024 at 5:22 AM, Heats with Nvidia said:

For that price, your only chance is to have a look at the used market. Producing amplifiers costs money. And this is a problem that was solved over 20 years ago, but just not at the price you want it.

WELL,

Whenh I was younger, a Simple amp, WAS CHEAP TO MAKE.  If all you wanted was an AMP.  the Problem is Sony cant make anything Cheap that has Sony on it.

When you dont need bells and Whistles..JUST what you need.

On 3/20/2024 at 6:32 PM, cmndr said:

As hinted at, this is a mostly solved problem. 
And if you're price sensitive, go used. The gear lasts for YEARS AND YEARS AND YEARS, in some cases decades. 

NOT Solved.

My TV has Toslink, my computer has Toslink, My DVD has it, LOTS of things have it.

How many s/pdif ports on a Amp?  1.

As to fees on Amps?  There arnt any.  Fees for Toslink/s/pdif?  Dont think they are around anymore.  As China is building Item with Stereo from Toslink, for about $30, without the amp.

As to Slave labor??  Suggest you look that up.  Cause China is making money, as Everyone is having everything made there..

And with USA capitalism, the boss on top makes wages equal to 100 employees and makes nothing.

29 minutes ago, ECA said:

NOT Solved.

My TV has Toslink, my computer has Toslink, My DVD has it, LOTS of things have it.

How many s/pdif ports on a Amp?  1.

As to fees on Amps?  There arnt any.  Fees for Toslink/s/pdif?  Dont think they are around anymore.  As China is building Item with Stereo from Toslink, for about $30, without the amp.

use HDMI. Toslink is a borderline obsolete 41 year old standard that was not designed for surround sound. It only does 2 full quality channels, not 5 or 11 or 50. Toslink exists because it's cheap. 

If you're trying to use a standard from Dolby or DTS, there's fees. And you need a DSP. 

Entry level AVRs are around $250ish, they include 5 amps, basic processing and video splitting. Their margins are relatively slim.

Used AVRs are something like $100. These are no frills units with basically no bells and whistles. If you need something cheaper/simpler stick with a 2.1 set up since there's no need to do processing. 

A non-terrible 2 channel amp + power supply is around $50ish.

If you're building your own multichannel set up, which requires digital signal processing, you can easily spend $500+ to build something that doesn't work well. Bare minimum is somethin like 3x $50 amps, $50 for a DSP, $50 for misc stuff ($250 bare minimum) and at that point you have a LOT of engineering work to do to make it all work. And it probably won't work well.

There's a lot more that goes into this than you think and a basic 5 channel receiver is pretty much a solved problem with enough competition in the market that the margins are very slim.

Buy used if cost is a problem, these things last decades. 

I just did a quick search and a factory refurbished Denon 5.2 x 70 watts per channel receiver has 2 Toslink inputs, 5 hdmi inputs and is $200 USD. Looks like 2 toslinks in is the standard for Denon. If you have more than 2 toslinks that you want to go into a single input a toslink switch, 4 in 1 out for example, is around $25-30 USD.

well its the problem of S/pdif, being around long enough that your computer has it, your TV has it, your DVD has it, and Other devices.

And thinking that all of them will let you use HDMI?  Or everything an HDMI can do?

Where S/pdif-- Use's the Toslink connection.

"S/PDIF is based on the AES3 interconnect standard.[3] S/PDIF can carry two channels of uncompressed PCM audio or compressed 5.1 surround sound (such as DTS audio codec or Dolby Digital codec); it cannot support lossless surround formats that require greater bandwidth.[4]"

If these 2 formats Arnt as good as they think/say, Why in hell are they putting it on everything?  There are TV's and other devices, that have No other Output for Audio, except the Builtin speakers.

And with that idea, then Most transcoding would have to be Inside the Computer, Not inside the Amp, If it cant even play Lossless.  

But on computers with 4+ Audio outputs, If you get 3-4 sets of computer speakers(??)(SUCK) YOU  can get almost any format you want, and be Lossless.

Then why not have all these device's Just, Give us Enough Audio output to analog.

Adding all those other Effects,DTS/x Dolby Atmos and all the other formats, When all you want is positional Audio.  Games have it, and there are Music that had it Many movies have it.

But all The devices Mostly allow you to have in Analog is Stereo, 2 channel.  Unless you want to try the s/pdif port and a Audio Bar.

So, really, it would be nice to have an Amp that would handle 5.1/7.1 Analog audio(no Toslink connection) From your computer and Just USE amps.  But that still costs Good money.  

AVRs do everything you described, they're very modestly priced used and they generally support a mix of inputs including toslink/spdif. 

Toslink is still used because it's about the cheapest thing to implement. The TV or DVD (is this 2001?) player won't need a DAC and/or amplification so that drops the cost a bit. 

It's NOT what you want to use if you can help it.