Should you run vsync with gsync?

Go to solution Solved by Slizzo,
6 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

You dont need to cap the game as G-sync will cap it at the refresh rate of the monitor, eg. 165. If the game is going below what the monitor specs is eg.30-165hz then it might tear. What monitor(s) you got?

It wont cap with G-Sync on.

Set the following @OnionRings:

Turn V-Sync on globally in NVCPL, cap framerate in NVCPL to 3fps below maximum refresh rate of your monitor (162fps in this case). If you have the option to cap framerate in your games that's a better solution, but I just cap globally in NVCPL.

When I got this monitor, I was under the impression the gsync was just like a better vsync and would stop tearing, but I'm noticing tearing in games with gsync on, vsync off, even with my frames capped to monitor max. (165, capped in nvidia control panel and also usually in game if possible).

I noticed the tearing in destiny 2 and raid, its subtle but noticeable and slightly irritating.

D2 offers a cap, so its capped, but I still notice it.

Raid only offers 30/60/unlimited.

I haven't noticed issues in any other games.

Edit: I put this in GPU but it might belong in displays? Not entirely sure, its sort of... both?

Please Quote me when replying.
CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

27 minutes ago, OnionRings said:

When I got this monitor, I was under the impression the gsync was just like a better vsync and would stop tearing, but I'm noticing tearing in games with gsync on, vsync off, even with my frames capped to monitor max. (165, capped in nvidia control panel and also usually in game if possible).

I noticed the tearing in destiny 2 and raid, its subtle but noticeable and slightly irritating.

D2 offers a cap, so its capped, but I still notice it.

Raid only offers 30/60/unlimited.

I haven't noticed issues in any other games.

Edit: I put this in GPU but it might belong in displays? Not entirely sure, its sort of... both?

You dont need to cap the game as G-sync will cap it at the refresh rate of the monitor, eg. 165. If the game is going below what the monitor specs is eg.30-165hz then it might tear. What monitor(s) you got?

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

6 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

Turn V-Sync on globally in NVCPL, cap framerate in NVCPL to 3fps below maximum refresh rate of your monitor (162fps in this case). If you have the option to cap framerate in your games that's a better solution, but I just cap globally in NVCPL.

16 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

MSI optix mg 274-qrfqd or something like that, I always mess it up lol. But its 1440p165hz official gsync.

10 hours ago, Slizzo said:

Ok I can try that

CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

5 hours ago, OnionRings said:

MSI optix mg 274-qrfqd or something like that, I always mess it up lol. But its 1440p165hz official gsync.

Ok I can try that

Ok, yes then you can just run gsync, but you'll have to be over 48 fps: https://www.msi.com/Monitor/Optix-MAG274QRF-QD/Specification

image.thumb.png.524659a1d1853b822e95e3831a0f9b6a.png

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

10 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Ok, yes then you can just run gsync, but you'll have to be over 48 fps: https://www.msi.com/Monitor/Optix-MAG274QRF-QD/Specification

image.thumb.png.524659a1d1853b822e95e3831a0f9b6a.png

Well its definitely going over 48 and still tearing a bit, ill try slizzo's option and see how it looks, worst case scenario it adds a little bit more latency but I'm not a competitive gamer so I doubt ill notice it.

CPU

50 minutes ago, OnionRings said:

Well its definitely going over 48 and still tearing a bit, ill try slizzo's option and see how it looks, worst case scenario it adds a little bit more latency but I'm not a competitive gamer so I doubt ill notice it.

Be aware that it might be some sort of driver issue. You could try removing the driver using DDU in safe mode, setting DDU in options to prevent windows update from updating drivers. Select clean and restart. And installing GPU driver again. Don't forget to physically remove all, but the primary monitor from GPU outputs. 

FS in Denmark/EU:

15 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

Be aware that it might be some sort of driver issue. You could try removing the driver using DDU in safe mode, setting DDU in options to prevent windows update from updating drivers. Select clean and restart. And installing GPU driver again. Don't forget to physically remove all, but the primary monitor from GPU outputs. 

If it persists I will do that. Raid with both on is fine, haven't been on D2 recently though.

CPU

personally i have a gsync monitor but gsync makes almost all my games unplayably laggy so i simply gave up on that.

I use vsync though, as long i don't feel the input lag is too much, however when i do then i use*fast sync*... absolute god sent, it means you can turn off vsync and gsync completely and there's no tearing,  no stutters,  no lag (as long you fulfill the requirements)  

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

• 3 weeks later...

I forgot to update, @Slizzosolution worked, I haven't had any tearing with vsync on, idk why gsync was tearing but whatever everything is chill.

CPU

9 hours ago, OnionRings said:

I forgot to update, @Slizzosolution worked, I haven't had any tearing with vsync on, idk why gsync was tearing but whatever everything is chill.

You can get tearing with G-Sync if you're bumping up against the max refresh rate of your monitor. Even with vsync on you can get "spill over" where the GPU will generate more frames than your monitor can show, even though it's supposed to only go as fast as your max refresh rate. That's why it is recommended to cap a few frames below (because it can swing up to 3fps) so you always stay within your monitors capable refresh rate.

On 3/28/2024 at 9:01 AM, Slizzo said:

You can get tearing with G-Sync if you're bumping up against the max refresh rate of your monitor. Even with vsync on you can get "spill over" where the GPU will generate more frames than your monitor can show, even though it's supposed to only go as fast as your max refresh rate. That's why it is recommended to cap a few frames below (because it can swing up to 3fps) so you always stay within your monitors capable refresh rate.

Makes sense, didn't know that.

CPU