NHD 15 for hotter climates?

BaidDSB

So i remember linus saying NHD 15 doesnt make sense for people with lower end cpu's like maybe a 5600x that i have....

but did he talk about everyone in the world or just people with colder climate?

Here in India, my 5600x runs at least 45 C on average even in winters with a good AIO, and about 53 C in summers. Thats IDLE temps.

easily rises to 75C+ while gaming or even over 80C.

And thats not just me, thats the story for most gamers in India because of our climate being much hotter on average.

So i was thinking, the extra thermal headroom that a NHD 15 would have thats not needed for a chip like 5600x in colder climates... wont it be better to have that for places like us?

Plus i think dust from a tower cooler is easier to clean than an AIO? My city is often equal or even worse in AQI than Delhi, which is thought to be the worst AQI in india

Unless you go for looks, the NHD-15 is generally the better option anyway, it's like 3% worse than an AIO in cooling, but it's lifespan is like 5 times longer, after the fact that you can replace the fans (unlike with the pump), and it also consumes 6 times less power than an AIO

Why would you go Air cooling when you have an AIO? What?

Microsoft owns my soul.

Also, Dell is evil, but HP kinda nice.

48 minutes ago, Gat Pelsinger said:

Why would you go Air cooling when you have an AIO? What?

Planning my next build

an air cooler won't get you lower idle temps, since those are mainly limited by air temps.

If air temps are around 22c (70F) you can get idle temps in the mid-30's.

If air temps are around 32c (90F) you won't be under 40.  Probably 45+

as GN and others list on reviews:  "Coolers are measured in Delta over Ambient" so if it's 40c over ambient?

It'd be 62c in 22c air, or 72c in 32c air.  

1 hour ago, MiszS said:

Unless you go for looks, the NHD-15 is generally the better option anyway, it's like 3% worse than an AIO in cooling, but it's lifespan is like 5 times longer, after the fact that you can replace the fans (unlike with the pump), and it also consumes 6 times less power than an AIO

That rather depends on your setup.

If the AIO is on the intake it will run a lot cooler than an NH-D15 sucking hot air from the GPU exhaust.

Even as an exhaust it likely will as you have more chance to exhaust some of the GPU air before it reaches the radiator.

Bearing in mind I much prefer air coolers myself for longevity and zero risk of water spilling all over my components.  But AIO have their advantages, not least they can be quieter.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

13 hours ago, BaidDSB said:

So i remember linus saying NHD 15 doesnt make sense for people with lower end cpu's like maybe a 5600x that i have....

but did he talk about everyone in the world or just people with colder climate?

Here in India, my 5600x runs at least 45 C on average even in winters with a good AIO, and about 53 C in summers. Thats IDLE temps.

easily rises to 75C+ while gaming or even over 80C.

And thats not just me, thats the story for most gamers in India because of our climate being much hotter on average.

So i was thinking, the extra thermal headroom that a NHD 15 would have thats not needed for a chip like 5600x in colder climates... wont it be better to have that for places like us?

Plus i think dust from a tower cooler is easier to clean than an AIO? My city is often equal or even worse in AQI than Delhi, which is thought to be the worst AQI in india

The ambient temperature dictates the results. The only thing you can try to do is rig a mini A/C that pumps cold air into your case. Just don't make it so cold that it causes condensation. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

17 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

That rather depends on your setup.

If the AIO is on the intake it will run a lot cooler than an NH-D15 sucking hot air from the GPU exhaust.

Even as an exhaust it likely will as you have more chance to exhaust some of the GPU air before it reaches the radiator.

Bearing in mind I much prefer air coolers myself for longevity and zero risk of water spilling all over my components.  But AIO have their advantages, not least they can be quieter.

5 hours ago, RevGAM said:

The ambient temperature dictates the results. The only thing you can try to do is rig a mini A/C that pumps cold air into your case. Just don't make it so cold that it causes condensation. 

what about a high speed table fan blowing air right on top of the AIO intakes?

27 minutes ago, BaidDSB said:

Would make zero difference, as the AIO fans are already doing the intake and you're just blowing the same ambient air at them they are going to suck in anyway.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

3 hours ago, BaidDSB said:

Going below ambient without something to cause the ambient to drop? Highly unlikely.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂