Weird Sound

Lota_9

Is it normal for my hard drive to sound like a plane on start up? The reason I ask this is because I brought it from my dead mac and it didn't make such a loud sound when it was in it.

46 minutes ago, Lota_9 said:

Is it normal for my hard drive to sound like a plane on start up? The reason I ask this is because I brought it from my dead mac and it didn't make such a loud sound when it was in it.

When you say "like a plane" i assume it sounds like the platters are spinning all the way up to full speed. 

How old of a drive is this and what model of Mac did it come out of? Apple is known to try to make their PCs silent so it may have just had more insulation around it to keep the noise down.

Technology is like a good friend that does its best to piss you off at every turn. yet we love them anyway. 

17 minutes ago, Macfox38 said:

When you say "like a plane" i assume it sounds like the platters are spinning all the way up to full speed. 

How old of a drive is this and what model of Mac did it come out of? Apple is known to try to make their PCs silent so it may have just had more insulation around it to keep the noise down.

Its a 2006 Mac

Just now, Lota_9 said:

Its a 2006 Mac

wow so you are dealing with a nearly 20 year old drive. with a drive of that age 1- im surprised it works still   and 2-i wouldnt be surprised if the bearings are shot.

I wouldnt rely on that drive for much. and if you have any mission critical data on it, BACK IT UP! 

Technology is like a good friend that does its best to piss you off at every turn. yet we love them anyway. 

It's normal it always made the sound you just didn't hear it when it was inside of that laptop.

Posted (edited)

An HDD is usually held in place with rubber/plastic which helps isolating the vibration.

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.