Cheap windows key that isn't illegal or a scam?

Go to solution Solved by kirashi,
On 3/2/2024 at 11:43 PM, Fat Cat11997 said:

I'm planning to build a pc but i'm not sure how to get my windows without using a sketchy, non-legit or illegal website. Could any1 recommend me a key website?

Grey market key sites that don't abide by Microsoft's End User License Agreement (EULA) or that don't have a reseller agreement may be selling keys acquired through illicit means. While the keys might be legit, they may have been purchased from a company's IT staff member looking to sell "extra" keys for quick cash or from an official source using a stolen credit card.

Since there's no way to verify the legitimacy of where these keys are acquired, it's recommended to only purchase Windows from officially licensed resellers, like Newegg, Amazon, Memory Express, Canada Computers, Micro Center, etc. to ensure you're not accidentally contributing to what might be an illegitimate activity used to acquire a legitimate software license key.

I'm planning to build a pc but i'm not sure how to get my windows without using a sketchy, non-legit or illegal website. Could any1 recommend me a key website?

On 3/2/2024 at 11:43 PM, Fat Cat11997 said:

Grey market key sites that don't abide by Microsoft's End User License Agreement (EULA) or that don't have a reseller agreement may be selling keys acquired through illicit means. While the keys might be legit, they may have been purchased from a company's IT staff member looking to sell "extra" keys for quick cash or from an official source using a stolen credit card.

Since there's no way to verify the legitimacy of where these keys are acquired, it's recommended to only purchase Windows from officially licensed resellers, like Newegg, Amazon, Memory Express, Canada Computers, Micro Center, etc. to ensure you're not accidentally contributing to what might be an illegitimate activity used to acquire a legitimate software license key.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

12 minutes ago, Fat Cat11997 said:

Are there any keys that aren't 100+ or are all those 3rd party websites that sell those keys cheap scams?

that's just what a windows key costs. if you find any key that is notably cheaper than that, at least something fishy is up.. most of those "fishy things" dont affect you, but there's a wide range of things that can go on, ranging from "someone flipping keys ripped off disposed prebuilts" all the way to money laundering operations.

The cheaper keys that you see for sale are usually OEM keys which have been taken off an old laptop, workstation, or pre-built desktop. OEM keys are effectively one time use, if you ever changed motherboard you'd need a new key.

If buying a new windows key you should avoid expensive OEM keys. Only pay 100+ if your getting a key that you can move as much as you want (that isn't marked as OEM).

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

From a legal point in EU:

https://www.clarionsolicitors.com/articles/reselling-used-software-licences-new-ruling-from-the-european-court

but each one key is with his own history and may be or not to be legal...

I think, that license issuers perfectly know each key legal status and current conditions, but don't react. In Microsoft Github is projects, that show how to break EULAs...

ad infinitum

2 minutes ago, ieleja said:

From a legal point in EU:

https://www.clarionsolicitors.com/articles/reselling-used-software-licences-new-ruling-from-the-european-court

but each one key is with his own history and may be or not to be legal...

I think, that license issuers perfectly know each key legal status and current conditions, but don't react. In Microsoft Github is projects, that show how to break EULAs...

Not sure how that applies given the whole point is an OEM key is technically licensed to the manufacturer, not the end user.  Although Microsoft may have shot themselves in the foot given even OEM keys as I recall register to a users Microsoft account (really hard to know given they wont let you SEE the list of licenses except during activation), which could constitute as being owned by that person.

I'm confounded by how poor their digital license system works.  You can give a name to each client device you have registered against a license on your account, but when you try to activate a new PC it doesn't tell you which licenses are already activated or against which client, so you can't pick the right one when you have several.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

4 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

OEM key is technically licensed to the manufacturer, not the end user

As I heard, that OEM license can't be removed and transfered from device, with it is purchased.

But You can get OEM license without baying some device, I look at EU wholesaler ATEA:

- Windows 11 Pro - Licence - 1 licence - OEM - DVD - 64-bit - English — €140,

- Windows 11 Home - Licence - 1 licence - OEM - DVD - 64-bit - English — €110,

- Windows 11 Pro for Workstations - Licence - 1 licence - OEM - DVD - 64-bit - English — €230,

- Windows 11 Pro - Licence - 1 licence - ESD - 64-bit, National Retail - All Languages — €190.

ad infinitum

10 hours ago, Fat Cat11997 said:

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)